Hurricane Dorian

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I remember Elena in 1985. I was living not far from Cedar Key, and everything looked fine, like it would head over to the west side of the Gulf and leave us alone. Then it curled back to the east, and the forecast was for it to make landfall at Cedar Key and cut across through Gainesville on it's way to the Atlantic. I went close to Gainesville to stay with a friend in a cinder block apartment. When it got a few miles offshore at Cedar Key, it stopped, kept wrecking havoc on Cedar key for several hours before turning around back to the west, making landfall near Biloxi. I figure some folks must have been praying pretty hard for it to not make landfall at Cedar key for it to stop in it's tracks and reverse course. I was praying pretty hard too because the friend I was staying with was an on-again/off-again girlfriend who had a nasty case of PMS while Elana was being wishy-washy, and I just wanted to get out of there, hurricane be damned.

1920px-Elena_1985_track.png

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is he was prepping to put up a tarp, using sandbags as weights. Just a guess.
Im guessing he is sandbagging the starter course around the perimeter of the roof to prevent the shingles from lifting at the edges which has no attachment for the first 5 inches. The roof looks to be in fairly good shape so the sealing strip should be bonded to the shingle below. The IBC criteria in a high velocity wind zone is to withstand 150mph winds.
A 1x4 temporarily facenailed on the edge would be more effective.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember Elena in 1985. I was living not far from Cedar Key, and everything looked fine, like it would head over to the west side of the Gulf and leave us alone. Then it curled back to the east, and the forecast was for it to make landfall at Cedar Key and cut across through Gainesville on it's way to the Atlantic. I went close to Gainesville to stay with a friend in a cinder block apartment. When it got a few miles offshore at Cedar Key, it stopped, kept wrecking havoc on Cedar key for several hours before turning around back to the west, making landfall near Biloxi. I figure some folks must have been praying pretty hard for it to not make landfall at Cedar key for it to stop in it's tracks and reverse course. I was praying pretty hard too because the friend I was staying with was an on-again/off-again girlfriend who had a nasty case of PMS while Elana was being wishy-washy, and I just wanted to get out of there, hurricane be damned.

1920px-Elena_1985_track.png
Never seen Elena plotted, but I certainly remember evacuating the beach and hanging out at a friend's place inland. Crazy path.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
085210_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Dont think I've ever seen a hurricane say "stationary" under movement...has to be a first

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
085210_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Dont think I've ever seen a hurricane say "stationary" under movement...has to be a first
For 30 hours! It's like a higher power is deliberately returning those islands back to the sea.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
The stalked by turtle is for damn sure! Hopefully today we will have a better idea of predictions for St Augustine storm surge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.