Hurricane Idalia

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I talked to my MIL this morning. She lives in Pasco, about 4-5 miles from the gulf, east of Tarpon Springs. They actually had very little wind and almost no heavy rain - she was disappointed as most of the ponds in her neighborhood are very low and she was hoping the storm would fill them up.

Any word from @BMF ? I saw pictures of flooding in Gulfport.
Did okay - had some soffit/flashing come loose in front of the house, which I nailed back on w/ some finishing nails (but it probably will need to be replaced), didn't lose power either. This one was much worse for our area than Ian was. I'm probably going up to Levy County at some point to assist w/ the debris removal (my company was the lead for Ian, and it sounds like we're getting this contract too). Downtown Gulfport took a beating, many of the waterfront places flooded. I'm guessing the barrier islands got beat up good too.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Did okay - had some soffit/flashing come loose in front of the house, which I nailed back on w/ some finishing nails (but it probably will need to be replaced), didn't lose power either. This one was much worse for our area than Ian was. I'm probably going up to Levy County at some point to assist w/ the debris removal (my company was the lead for Ian, and it sounds like we're getting this contract too). Downtown Gulfport took a beating, many of the waterfront places flooded. I'm guessing the barrier islands got beat up good too.
Glad to hear you guys are Ok.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Live Oak, Suwannee county
As I mentioned previously, I'm working for the company that the state contracted to handle the debris removal (we were the lead, but there were many other contractors doing most of the grunt work out in the field). Anyhow, if this debris cleanup goes like Ian the state & FEMA will pay for most of the cleanup - on your property and elsewhere. I imagine they'll establish a call center soon and a website for homeowners to make a "claim" (cost free) - FEMA mostly paid for about 75% and the state covers the remaining 25% ('mostly' because FEMA did deny a few claims - some people get ridiculous and they have to draw the line somewhere). So be on the lookout for the state to put something out - in the meantime I'd suggest you simply get the trees off your house, clear your driveway, etc but if any of it can wait, let FEMA/state take care of it (through the contractors).

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
My experience with Alma back in '66 sent me to Seminole from Bayou Grande Blvd. on Shore Acres. from sea level to 38 feet above. I miss those days...now I have to live with straight line winds up here in Winder...
Go Gators, stay safe
:jog:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
As I mentioned previously, I'm working for the company that the state contracted to handle the debris removal (we were the lead, but there were many other contractors doing most of the grunt work out in the field). Anyhow, if this debris cleanup goes like Ian the state & FEMA will pay for most of the cleanup - on your property and elsewhere. I imagine they'll establish a call center soon and a website for homeowners to make a "claim" (cost free) - FEMA mostly paid for about 75% and the state covers the remaining 25% ('mostly' because FEMA did deny a few claims - some people get ridiculous and they have to draw the line somewhere). So be on the lookout for the state to put something out - in the meantime I'd suggest you simply get the trees off your house, clear your driveway, etc but if any of it can wait, let FEMA/state take care of it (through the contractors).
Had a tree guy tell me that if you sign up with FEMA to help you clean up your property it will take 6 months or more and if your income is above a certain amount they wont help you.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m in Madison. The amount of trees down is unbelievable. The power companies have most of their infrastructure down and have to rebuild it.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Our Condo at Steinhatchee got hit pretty good, our dock is gone and the first floor was pretty much destroyed by water surge, good news is the 2nd and 3rd floor where the rooms are came thru in good shape. IMG_0783.jpeg IMG_0782.jpeg IMG_0781.jpeg IMG_0780.jpeg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Had a tree guy tell me that if you sign up with FEMA to help you clean up your property it will take 6 months or more and if your income is above a certain amount they wont help you.
Dan, I'm not sure about 6 months, but it will take a little time - they have to get all of the infrastructure set up, bring in all of the contractors, residents need to fill out their requests (after that someone comes to your house, takes pictures, verifies everything, etc). It's a process, but it gets done. I would guess they'll have this thing nearly 80% cleaned up within 3-6 months - it's mostly vegetative debris (vs. building/construction debris, which is much more time consuming to clean up). Also, before you do anything make sure to check with your insurance company. And he's wrong about income level, I saw waterfront mansions getting cleaned up.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Dan, I'm not sure about 6 months, but it will take a little time - they have to get all of the infrastructure set up, bring in all of the contractors, residents need to fill out their requests (after that someone comes to your house, takes pictures, verifies everything, etc). It's a process, but it gets done. I would guess they'll have this thing nearly 80% cleaned up within 3-6 months - it's mostly vegetative debris (vs. building/construction debris, which is much more time consuming to clean up). Also, before you do anything make sure to check with your insurance company. And he's wrong about income level, I saw waterfront mansions getting cleaned up.
Thanks. I did file a claim for the tree on the roof. First ever insurance claim for anything in my life. They say my "hurricane" deductible is $6400.00.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I have multiple fam members with 2nd properties in The Hatch and I live in Valdosta. The eye landed just north of the Hatch as a cat-4 and went over Valdosta still as a cat-1...this is a 1st for Valdosta.
Our roads and infrastructure were not ready for this. About 70% of our entire county lost pwr from all the downed trees laying across lines and severe flooding occurred.
Me personally, we are fortunate. Thank God. While we had many trees either pop out of the ground or snap midway up, we have no damage to any structure. However, we have many neighbors that are less fortunate. We were also lucky to only be out of pwr for 25 hrs AND I had a small gennie to run the most important items. But so many others are STILL without pwr.
The worst part of this, for me, was that our pwr came back on with enough time for me to get a shower, make a drink, and settle in for that schitt show of a game last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator