If you could retire anywhere in Florida

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
where would it be?

Priorities:

Close to beach, or even on the beach, or waterfront.

Great hospitals

Not a big town (100k +) or tons of traffic

Close airport access

No liberals (probably rules out So FL, but that is OK, see other thread)

Close enough to attend Gator football after Mullen gets fired, so 3 hours of G'vill.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
where would it be?

Priorities:

Great hospitals

Close airport access

Close enough to attend Gator football after Mullen gets fired, so 3 hours of G'vill.
Rosemary Beach area

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Jupiter Island across from Tequesta. You’re not escaping people with differing views, but PBG and north seem to be a little more reasonable. Small reef off the coast within swimming distance, beautiful water, very quiet but with access to any chaos you could want within an hour. Also, I can make the trip from Jupiter to Gville in 3.5 hours. So if I’m affording a beach house in JI, I’m sure whatever car I’d have would do that or better.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
where would it be?

Priorities:

Great hospitals

Close airport access

Sounds like the Space Coast to me (full disclosure, my current neck of the woods).

You have Patrick AFB right there so lots of military plus all the aerospace tech companies so lots of engineers. It's politically conservative. Because of the Indian River Lagoon and the Banana River, you have a fair amount of waterfront that isn't crazy expensive (and hurricane dangerous) oceanfront, but close to the beach. You have a small local airport that is very convenient but you can take the Beachline (the old Beeline) from Cocoa to Orlando MCO and it's about 30 minutes. MCO is about as good as a large airport gets. Gainesville is about 3 hours away. If you like cruising, Port Canaveral is right there. Deep sea fishing too. It is a little boring, not a vibrant night life like in larger cities, not as many great restaurants, but it's nice.

The Gulf Coast might fit for you too, except not sure of the airport/hospital situation. Something north of Clearwater, maybe around Homosassa.

Good luck to you.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sounds like the Space Coast to me (full disclosure, my current neck of the woods).

You have Patrick AFB right there so lots of military plus all the aerospace tech companies so lots of engineers. It's politically conservative. Because of the Indian River Lagoon and the Banana River, you have a fair amount of waterfront that isn't crazy expensive (and hurricane dangerous) oceanfront, but close to the beach. You have a small local airport that is very convenient but you can take the Beachline (the old Beeline) from Cocoa to Orlando MCO and it's about 30 minutes. MCO is about as good as a large airport gets. Gainesville is about 3 hours away. If you like cruising, Port Canaveral is right there. Deep sea fishing too. It is a little boring, not a vibrant night life like in larger cities, not as many great restaurants, but it's nice.

The Gulf Coast might fit for you too, except not sure of the airport/hospital situation. Something north of Clearwater, maybe around Homosassa.

Good luck to you.

Alex.

I've actually never explored any of the area from Martin to Volusia, but I'm sure it is nice for all those reasons mentioned. Unfortunately, I have friends and family in St. Augustine and would have to make that trip up 95 several times a year, which made me come to despise Brevard county as it has to be the longest county on the planet to drive through. It may as well be Texas.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Are Frankfort or Danville Kentucky in Florida? Dang...

(inserting old/stale joke here)

How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky?
Is it Louis-ville, Looey-ville or Lou-uh-vulle?

Answer:
It's pronounced:
Frankfort

I'll show myself out of the Lounge now... remember to tip your waitresses and bartenders.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Keys.
If money no object. Spend every day on the water. Take my personal sea plane to Miami when bored. Or yacht. Or cigarette boat. Crewed by young women with daddy issues.

Prettiest beaches are south of Tampa but that area is so boring.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Keys.
If money no object. Spend every day on the water. Take my personal sea plane to Miami when bored. Or yacht. Or cigarette boat. Crewed by young women with daddy issues.

giphy.gif

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Keys.

I read that as "screwed".

Alex.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Money is always an object, but I should be fairly set in 8-10 years if all keeps working as planned.

I grew up in the FWB back when no one had heard of Destin. There literally was nothing there in the early 80s. One hour of nothing to PCB. Went back a few years ago and was disgusted.

Space Coast sounds interesting. Took a couple cruises from Port Canaveral. River or bay access to ocean sounds cool. Lots of water access for boating and fishing. Nothing to do in the Keys outside of boating. Its OK to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

May plan a trip to Sarasota for vacation and check it out.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Money is always an object, but I should be fairly set in 8-10 years if all keeps working as planned.

I grew up in the FWB back when no one had heard of Destin. There literally was nothing there in the early 80s. One hour of nothing to PCB. Went back a few years ago and was disgusted.

Space Coast sounds interesting. Took a couple cruises from Port Canaveral. River or bay access to ocean sounds cool. Lots of water access for boating and fishing. Nothing to do in the Keys outside of boating. Its OK to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

Choctaw ‘62

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Keys are very expensive. Miami to Key West is over 3 hours. Costs a lot to ship stuff there, plus real estate is at a premium. Stores are smaller and shortages are not uncommon. Plus so many houses are now used for short-term rentals (VRBO, AirBnB, etc.) that the costs are insane.

Everything is far in the Keys. Even Islamorada (the beginning of the Keys; Key West is the end of the Keys) is 6+ hours from Gainesville and I assume the closest major airport is Miami.

Sarasota is close enough to Tampa that you can visit the city for a game or a concert. Careful about going much further south though...Venice, Naples, Ft. Myers, etc. are nicknamed "God's Waiting Room" for a reason. That's shuffleboard and pickleball territory. The Publix cashier isn't in high school, she graduated high school in the 60's.

If you're from the Panhandle area, there's still beautiful areas up there.

Alex.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Keys.

Is that you, Tommy Vu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.