If you could retire anywhere in Florida

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Money is always an object, but I should be fairly set in 8-10 years if all keeps working as planned.

I grew up in the FWB back when no one had heard of Destin. There literally was nothing there in the early 80s. One hour of nothing to PCB. Went back a few years ago and was disgusted.

Space Coast sounds interesting. Took a couple cruises from Port Canaveral. River or bay access to ocean sounds cool. Lots of water access for boating and fishing. Nothing to do in the Keys outside of boating. Its OK to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

May plan a trip to Sarasota for vacation and check it out.

Anywhere around Lake Okeechobee is prime. You really get the best of both worlds(fresh and ocean), particularly on the east side as you're only a 30-45 min drive to Riviera Beach.

Belle Glade, Pahokee, Clewiston. Can't really go wrong.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Money is always an object, but I should be fairly set in 8-10 years if all keeps working as planned.

I grew up in the FWB back when no one had heard of Destin. There literally was nothing there in the early 80s. One hour of nothing to PCB. Went back a few years ago and was disgusted.

Space Coast sounds interesting. Took a couple cruises from Port Canaveral. River or bay access to ocean sounds cool. Lots of water access for boating and fishing. Nothing to do in the Keys outside of boating. Its OK to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

May plan a trip to Sarasota for vacation and check it out.
I remember as a young enlisted guy in Germany from 85-89, there were guys there on post that would try to sell insurance... and all the land in FWB when there was nothing there. Okaloosa Island is still quiet and traffic not too bad, but you couldn't pay me to be in PCB or Destin with the congestion/piling of buildings on top of each other. I like P'cola Beach because it can't be built out any more than it is, has enough bars and restaurants, can walk to everything... but I wouldn't put it on my "retire here" list over other places or a lake house. We'll keep the condo when we leave, but it ain't going to be our retirement place.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I like the sleepy little beach towns around St George Island, Cape San Blas and Port St Joe. Since Mexico beach was obliterated they are rebuilding with new houses. PSJ has a hospital but Tallahassee would be the largest nearby.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
Nature Coast area for me. More specifically I'd love to (and plan to) retire to a house on King's Bay in Crystal River.

Although not really in Florida (but close enough), my 2nd choice would be the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores/Foley area of Alabama.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like the sleepy little beach towns around St George Island, Cape San Blas and Port St Joe. Since Mexico beach was obliterated they are rebuilding with new houses. PSJ has a hospital but Tallahassee would be the largest nearby.

Tallahassee Memorial is a killer…never go there

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Biggest store is a Piggly Wiggly

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Tallahassee Memorial is a killer…never go there
We did out two year prison sentence there a few years ago before being transferred again to Jax area. My second son was born there. The room we were in has not been updated since they built it. Still had the tv's and vcr's that I had in the early 90's.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

This is all very true. The best place in Florida imo and the reason why we vacation there every year.

However, you have to be willing to live in a very remote area. Panama City would have to be your “goto” and that’s an hour away.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Jupiter Island across from Tequesta. You’re not escaping people with differing views, but PBG and north seem to be a little more reasonable. Small reef off the coast within swimming distance, beautiful water, very quiet but with access to any chaos you could want within an hour. Also, I can make the trip from Jupiter to Gville in 3.5 hours. So if I’m affording a beach house in JI, I’m sure whatever car I’d have would do that or better.
The Lakes in the Bluffs.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Off Marcinski?

If so, to me at least, the best beaches in Florida. Lived near there for years. First son learned to swim in those waters.
Yep. Great beach and neighborhood. Leash free dog beach. Dog park. Publix and shoppers within walking distance. Juno Beach Pier.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep. Great beach and neighborhood. Leash free dog beach. Dog park. Publix and shoppers within walking distance. Juno Beach Pier.

Also, what I consider to be one of the best, if not the best, Italian restaurants in Florida(Evo) just north of there in Tequesta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.