If you could retire anywhere in Florida

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Also, what I consider to be one of the best, if not the best, Italian restaurants in Florida(Evo) just north of there in Tequesta.
Missed out on that one. There is a great place for blackened Mahi sandwiches and another for Old Bay steamed shrimp.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Missed out on that one. There is a great place for blackened Mahi sandwiches and another for Old Bay steamed shrimp.

There aren’t many bad places in that area. Food Shack, Hogsnappers, even Park Ave BBQ just south is really great.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Why would anyone want to retire to Florida? I mean, it is hot all the time except for about 2 weeks per year. It is terribly humid which makes the heat feel even worse. It is usually crowded by tourist which makes dealing with the heat and humidity even worse. They have hurricanes every year which means you would have to shutter the windows then take down the shutters about every three weeks. Oh, and the heat and humidity tend to make the hurricanes even worse. Seminoles right in the middle. Miami Hurricanes to the south. Lots and lots of snowbirds all winter.

And might I add,
August In Fla Sucks, Change My Mind

So again, why would anyone want to retire to Florida? :dunno:

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Why would anyone want to retire to Florida? I mean, it is hot all the time except for about 2 weeks per year. It is terribly humid which makes the heat feel even worse. It is usually crowded by tourist which makes dealing with the heat and humidity even worse. They have hurricanes every year which means you would have to shutter the windows then take down the shutters about every three weeks. Oh, and the heat and humidity tend to make the hurricanes even worse. Seminoles right in the middle. Miami Hurricanes to the south. Lots and lots of snowbirds all winter.

And might I add,

Rust-belt baby boomers want to be able to play golf 365 days a year and they can buy a brand new house at half the cost (+/-) and pay a fraction of the taxes of San Diego. Or so I have heard.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

And might I add,

No state income tax

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
No state income tax
Higher power bills due to having to run the AC 350 days per year makes that a wash. Probably not though. Probably pay more for power bills thanks to the heat than one would in state income tax...

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

And might I add,

Dude, Turn in your Gator card.
We have AC, beaches, lakes and rivers. This time of year I spend weekends at the beach and during the week jump in my pool every night. Unless you're a day laborer the humidity is avoidable. Personally I love the afternoon thunderstorms. And hurricanes are so very over rated. It's very rare to have a 4-5 hit you directly. In 40 years of my adult life I've had power go out for more than a few hours only once.
I also get great joy out of scraping the sunshine off my car windows in the winter time when all you poor bastards are freezing.
Locals know better than to go where the tourists are so we just avoid it. And I enjoy that they pay my taxes.
When I graduated UF I got phone calls from a head hunter out of Tulsa Oklahoma. I almost laughed out loud. But he kept calling me back wanting me to come out for a visit. I finally told him that he couldn't pay me enough to leave Florida. And it's still true today. Every other state is a shyt hole country in comparison.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

@Nalt ain't never had no Gator card... and as a Bammer:

jumpstart.jpg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
@Nalt ain't never had no Gator card... and as a Bammer:

jumpstart.jpg
I was given an "honorary" Gator card several years ago. I was in Virginia for work and met up with jereed one weekend. He gave me a ball cap with that hidious orange "F" on the front and he had it customized by embroidering "Honorary Gator" on the back...I still have it too, somewhere...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Higher power bills due to having to run the AC 350 days per year makes that a wash. Probably not though. Probably pay more for power bills thanks to the heat than one would in state income tax...
When you make $10 an hour that 6% doesn’t seem like much, huh?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was given an "honorary" Gator card several years ago. I was in Virginia for work and met up with jereed one weekend. He gave me a ball cap with that hidious orange "F" on the front and he had it customized by embroidering "Honorary Gator" on the back...I still have it too, somewhere...

Had some spirited political debates with jereed.

What ever happened to him?

Alex.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Over 100 years ago John D Rockefeller commissioned his staff to search the Western Hemisphere for the all around best climate and location. They told him 'Ormond Beach' Fla.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Had some spirited political debates with jereed.

What ever happened to him?

Alex.
Last I saw of jereed he was starting to hang out over at 78's left-leaning board... Been a while since I was over there so who knows?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m closing in on retirement and my idea is to retire to the family farm. For me and the missus, there just isn’t any place we’d rather call our headquarters than here in the panhandle in north Gadsden county. Plan is to remodel her parent’s house and renovate a couple of the out-buildings along with keeping the cattle and pecans going. We’ve got a modest little weekender 20 minutes up the road at Lake Seminole. The beach is 90 minutes away. We’re looking forward to this stage of life.

Now, if money was no object, we’d have a house at Mexico/St. Joe Beach and one in Dillard, GA and split time between all depending on the season. But we’re very happy with our plan as it stands. Fall, Winter, and Spring are very nice where we are and Summer is manageable, especially since we are just below the gnat line and our AC units are in good working order. There’s a Publix 15 minutes away at Lake Jackson and our doctors are in Tallahassee (we can hold our noses for those trips). If we are inclined to go out to eat, it’s usually Thomasville or Bainbridge. It’s a nice central location and it is home.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
No state income tax

Insurance costs offset tax savings when I moved back to FL. Hurricanes and Morgan and Morgan types have FL over a barrel.

Start 50 miles below the Suwanee River and work your way back to the north and west. Any county that borders the river would be good. Liberty county would be great, also.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We have AC, beaches, lakes and rivers. This time of year I spend weekends at the beach and during the week jump in my pool every night. Unless you're a day laborer the humidity is avoidable. Personally I love the afternoon thunderstorms. And hurricanes are so very over rated. It's very rare to have a 4-5 hit you directly. In 40 years of my adult life I've had power go out for more than a few hours only once.
I also get great joy out of scraping the sunshine off my car windows in the winter time when all you poor bastards are freezing.
Locals know better than to go where the tourists are so we just avoid it. And I enjoy that they pay my taxes.
When I graduated UF I got phone calls from a head hunter out of Tulsa Oklahoma. I almost laughed out loud. But he kept calling me back wanting me to come out for a visit. I finally told him that he couldn't pay me enough to leave Florida. And it's still true today. Every other state is a shyt hole country in comparison.
FGFS do not sell Fla to anyone that thnks like that. Are there not enough gdmmm cars on the road and long lines to do anything?
If you could retire anywhere in Florida
I am retired in Fla. And I can get to the beach in about 90minutes. Cedar key the same. SPrings and rivers in 30 minutes. Gator games in 20. Hot in Fla? Thank God or we would be over run by more azzzholes than we are now................

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.