If you could retire anywhere in Florida

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Just an old fisherman who once lived in Florida

The Salty Sol reference was tongue in cheek. Based on your original comment I figured you may have grown up listening to his world famous fishing reports and 'Where Am I' segments.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The Salty Sol reference was tongue in cheek. Based on your original comment I figured you may have grown up listening to his world famous fishing reports and 'Where Am I' segments.
I knew that I had heard him , but I can't really remember him. Was he Sarasota TV?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Tampa station channel 13. I'm sure it was broadcast in the Sarasota TV market.
The clip wouldn't play for me at first! Of course! We listened to Tampa TV stations and read the Tampa Tribune for sports (Tom McEwen). In those days I liked the liberal national and international slant of the St. Pete Times for general news.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I always thought Fernandina Beach would be a good place to retire. I love the architecture and the setting of the town. It has a great beach, but has a different feel than most Florida beach towns. Lots of history there with Ft. Clinch, the old Florida Railroad Depot and other sites. It's close to Jacksonville for top medical facilities, entertainment etc and close to UF and Gainesville if you wanted to attend football games or other sporting events. Beautiful Cumberland Island is just across the Sound. It's an easy drive to Jekyll Island, St. Simon's Island and Savannah. It's a longer drive but not too bad to Charleston, Wilmington and the Outer Banks or even the Mountains if you wanted a change in scenery. It's also an easy drive down A1A to other Florida coastal towns. It's as far north as you can get in Florida so you get some semblance of a change in seasons. It's just a real pretty town and the paper mill doesn't smell so bad anymore. One downside I guess would be all the tourists since all the development that has taken place on the south side of Amelia Island but what place with any life in it in Florida doesn't have to deal with tourists?

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
FGFS do not sell Fla to anyone that thnks like that. Are there not enough gdmmm cars on the road and long lines to do anything?

I am retired in Fla. And I can get to the beach in about 90minutes. Cedar key the same. SPrings and rivers in 30 minutes. Gator games in 20. Hot in Fla? Thank God or we would be over run by more azzzholes than we are now................

The 90 min from the beach part may be the biggest drawback for Alachua county in general. Otherwise, it’s a good place(never been to Brooker, ftr). But I never dreamed I’d live in FL and be 1:45 from the Atlantic. I feel like the springs are something locals use as a distraction while pretending they are not really a majorly distant second place(like a guy from Kenya crossing the line and then Chris Christie taking second 17 hours later). Other than that, for a change of weather, outdoor activities, etc. I’d say it’s a solid place to live.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've always wondered about the Keys.. Is there a specific Key that would a candidate?
I doubt I'd want to be on Key West, but I've driven thru and there seems to be some nice ones along the way.

Only been to Key West and loved it there…I’m sure I’d love any of them though and probably a quieter island. Though to be fair I am much more of a lake person vs ocean so I’d likely end up retiring to a lake somewhere.

But also kind of like George Costanza pretends to be an architect I’d like to pretend to be an old salt at the end of a bar

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Only been to Key West and loved it there…I’m sure I’d love any of them though and probably a quieter island. Though to be fair I am much more of a lake person vs ocean so I’d likely end up retiring to a lake somewhere.

But also kind of like George Costanza pretends to be an architect I’d like to pretend to be an old salt at the end of a bar

Islamorada comes to mind... Marathon and Deer Key, but who the heck knows which is a good place to retire?
probably have to rely on some local intelligence.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You mean Patrick SFB? Saw that it’s now a Space Force Base when we vacationed about 2 blocks north of on the southern end of Cocoa Beach. I like that.

I’m a traditionalist.

North-South Drive, not Gale Lemerand

GPA, not Turlington

Mothers, not birthing people

Dolphin, not Mahi Mahi

VPI, not VaTech

Patrick AFB, not SFB

Bruce, not Caitlyn

Datsun, not Nissan

Zima, not White Claw

Saigon, not Ho Chi Minh City

Cigarettes, not vaping