I'm bringing my 11yr old son to his first Gator game on Saturday

mallen25

Aug 6, 2014
Need suggestions on parking, where to take him since we plan on arriving early and any other good ideas

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
mallen25;n35849 said:
I haven't been to game since 2003, the swindle, so I'm sure some things have changed.

Yeah... it's a lot less crowded.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
That's funny, taking my 11 yr old to his first next week, he will have a blast at the night game!

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
As far as suggestions, be sure to get his pic with the Gator statue in front of the main walkway and any Gator cheerleaders you can find as he will thank you later for that!! :yes:

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are you willing to pay for parking. If so, park in the area north of campus "the ghetto" where all the students let you tailgate in their yards. The lot on NW20th St.and 3rd Ave is a great location. You could bring your your own grub or walk to Burrito Bros or Steamers. You can walk to many of the gift shops. Also could walk around campus around Century Tower.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fan Fest outside of the O'Dome starts at 4. Gator Walk is scheduled to start at 4:35.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I can remember taking my 9 year old son to a game. That was 20 years ago and I'm letting him drive me this time! He lasted the whole game but he was a hardcore sports fan even at that age.

Get a photo with him on the Gator statue that's just southwest of the stadium. There's another good photo opportunity with the Albert and Alberta statue on the north side of University across the street from the stadium.

I'd take him in to the Reitz Union as well to give him a look at stuff like the bowling alley, game room and other leisure stuff. It will give him an idea that student life isn't all work.

mallen25

Aug 6, 2014
ufgator2002 said:
As far as suggestions, be sure to get his pic with the Gator statue in front of the main walkway and any Gator cheerleaders you can find as he will thank you later for that!! :yes:
Oh yes I will be doing that!

mallen25

Aug 6, 2014
Gatorphan said:
Are you willing to pay for parking. If so, park in the area north of campus "the ghetto" where all the students let you tailgate in their yards. The lot on NW20th St.and 3rd Ave is a great location. You could bring your your own grub or walk to Burrito Bros or Steamers. You can walk to many of the gift shops. Also could walk around campus around Century Tower.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

mallen25

Aug 6, 2014
Swamp Queen said:
Fan Fest outside of the O'Dome starts at 4. Gator Walk is scheduled to start at 4:35.
Coming in from Jacksonville, so we will probably be a little earlier, but will be there for that.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
mallen25;n35841 said:
Need suggestions on parking, where to take him since we plan on arriving early and any other good ideas

Usually JJ Finley Elementary will have pay-to-park options. If you arrive early enough, you may be able to find street spots in the area just north of campus. There are several places to eat along University Ave and of course there's the Reitz Union. Hope you have a fun trip

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Walk, Century Tower, University Auditorium, inside old Florida Gym then the O Dome, McKethan Stad. , inside Swamp to see warm ups and band. .... gator for life!

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Awesome! I took my son to his 1st game which was last years season opener. I know the 1st game my dad took me to I was 5, even though I was so short I could not see the field for 90% of the game just peoples back side. That is something I will never forget.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My brother took me to my first when I was 9 in 1954!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
My brother took me to my first when I was 9 in 1954!
Your dad served in WW2, didn't he?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The statue of Alberta and Alberta across University Avenue from the stadium (Emmerson Alumni Hall?) is a great photo op. If you belong to the Alumni Association, you can get stickers, beads, and other little give-aways that make nice souvenirs.

The band used to warm up on campus and then march to the stadium (from Memorial Auditorium). I don't know if they still start there or somewhere else but I imagine a kid would love to experience the drumline marching past.

There is a ton of great tailgating on the blocks across from Ring Tennis Pavilion, the Law School, and the golf course (SW 2nd Ave, west of the President's mansion).

Another great tailgate spot is the Plaza of the Americas. Little younger crowd out there. Hard to find a parking spot unless you get there early.

Hope you have a blast!

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.