I'm Rethinking UF's Recruiting

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
You are completely wrong. Just look at our past numbers and where the stars break down. Perfection? Hardly. Do you think it is ok to have the most 3 stars ever over the last two seasons? You don't think something is very wrong? You do realize that it is possible hiring Mac was a mistake, right? Yes, it is too early but he should have cleaned up this cycle. 14th is below avg for us. Are you ok with below avg?

Have you seen the past numbers on the break down of each - 3 stars, 4 stars and 5 stars? We've NEVER taken this many ever. The trend is alarming. The bulk of our classes has always been 4 star kids, always. This isn;t something new or me asking for perfection. It goes back to the Zooker days. You can look it up.

If we've always had the majority of our kids as 4 stars and now we are taking mostly 3 star kids - honestly - do you think that will affect our overall talent level for the better or for the worse? Honest opinion. It's not just one year but now THREE in a row.

From a post I did in another thread (looking at 2011-2016):

Average star rating of class for top 10 recruiting class was 3.67 (UF was 3.50) Minimum was 3.34 (UF was Macs 2015 class at 3.29)
Average signees in a class for top 10 recruiting class was 24.4 (UF was 24.4)
Avg number of 5-4-3 star kids was 2.3-12.2-9.0 (UF was 1.8-10.2-11.0)

That last one highlights the argument that "star pumpers" (for lack of a better term) like T REX have been complaining about. Namely, we aren't recruiting well enough to be a top 10 recruiting class, and data shows even getting that provides only a 33% chance of being in t10 for the season. We have been averaging short a 5 star every other year and a pair of 4 stars every year. And we live in one of the most talent rich areas of the nation. Fwiw, Mac's classes were averaged 3.29 (2015) and 3.36 (2016) stars, pulling in 1.5 five stars and 7 four stars on average.

So yeah, I have been looking at the numbers. Mac has averaged short half a 5 star and a pair of 4 stars, and made up for them by going over our average by a pair of 3 stars. It's what you do when you can't get the 4-5 star kids. To you're point - "Just f ing recruit better" and we should not only get back to (possibly surpass) the UF averages in recruiting, but start moving us into the t10.

I still don't think Mac has had the time he needs, and believe he'll show signs of improvement for 2017 and 2018, but it's on him going forward. It's my right to be hopeful instead of shouting people down with negativity. A choice in perspective to save wasted energy, but the heart of the matter is Mac isn't 'there' yet.

Last edited:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grier set us back a year. We need our offense to produce and make us exciting again. Unless that happens, get used to becoming an also-ran.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Can you name 2 UF DTs that have been early entrants? With DTs, it is great when they can enter at all.

Excellent point. I can't name a DT who's been an EE anywhere. It would be a surprise, for sure. I'm okay with breaking stereotypes though, if Mac and crew can find some candidates.

There have been some guys in the past who had the brains to do it ... Ian Scott, Brad Culpepper, Ed Chester and Kevin Carter come to mind. Although I think Carter maybe didn't really start playing DT until later in his pro career.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
From a post I did in another thread (looking at 2011-2016):

So yeah, I have been looking at the numbers. Mac has averaged short half a 5 star and a pair of 4 stars, and made up for them by going over our average by a pair of 3 stars. It's what you do when you can't get the 4-5 star kids. To you're point - "Just f ing recruit better" and we should not only get back to (possibly surpass) the UF averages in recruiting, but start moving us into the t10.

I still don't think Mac has had the time he needs, and believe he'll show signs of improvement for 2017 and 2018, but it's on him going forward. It's my right to be hopeful instead of shouting people down with negativity. A choice in perspective to save wasted energy, but the heart of the matter is Mac isn't 'there' yet.

I can't go back that far into my posting history but maybe somebody else can. I broke down all the recruiting numbers for Bama, FSU and UF since 2010. I think I went further than that for us. The bottom line is that a large portion of our recruits were 4 star and not by a small % either. I use rivals and they are the best. You can easily pull us up and go back year by year and see that over 50% of our classes EVERY year were 4&5 stars. Like clockwork. Foley hired an unknown and that has affected us. Is it Mac's fault that he's not very charismatic? No. But his staff should be able to handle the bulk of our recruiting. They have done a below average job. This is the last I am saying on the topic. I really don;t give a **** anymore. You pumpers have pumped it out of me.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
To me, it's not a matter of pumping or not pumping. We understand. It just requires too much energy to stay that negative about something I can't change. I have better things to do with my energy.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't go back that far into my posting history but maybe somebody else can. I broke...

That would be hard to do in one sitting without a bottle of sleeping pills and a fifth of scotch on the bedside table...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That would be hard to do in one sitting without a bottle of sleeping pills and a fifth of scotch on the bedside table...

Seriously, crazy dude. Get help.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pot meet keetle. I've seen people asking you to get back on your medz all day.

Things are slow around here with football season closing out and you are a source of amusement. Can't help but to laugh at your angry tirades. Thanks for the laughs.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I can't go back that far into my posting history but maybe somebody else can. I broke down all the recruiting numbers for Bama, FSU and UF since 2010. I think I went further than that for us. The bottom line is that a large portion of our recruits were 4 star and not by a small % either. I use rivals and they are the best. You can easily pull us up and go back year by year and see that over 50% of our classes EVERY year were 4&5 stars. Like clockwork. Foley hired an unknown and that has affected us. Is it Mac's fault that he's not very charismatic? No. But his staff should be able to handle the bulk of our recruiting. They have done a below average job. This is the last I am saying on the topic. I really don;t give a **** anymore. You pumpers have pumped it out of me.
:bananawave:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think we'll be fine with this class. It did answer a lot of needs on the offensive side of the ball. But it will be more crucial next year that we land a class a bit more defensive heavy in '17.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That's the problem with this class. Yes we needed to beef up the offense, but we still need to recruit well on defense. If the offense improves but the defense gets worse, then the team still doesn't get better. Meyer's best year on offense was 2007. Yeah it got us a Heisman but it also left a 9-4 record and allowed UT to back their way in to Atlanta.
I agree with everything said here, however I believe overall team success will draw upper end talent on both sides of the ball as long as the people recruiting are selling that to the kids. I am somewhat shocked at the effort/results of 2 of our biggest names on defense staff, Rumph and Shannon, how the hell did a guy who got fired out recruit these 2 ??? I'm also not sold on Collins. I think our defense was on auto pilot last year and that's not going to work with a dropoff in talent....

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
That's the problem with this class. Yes we needed to beef up the offense, but we still need to recruit well on defense. If the offense improves but the defense gets worse, then the team still doesn't get better. Meyer's best year on offense was 2007. Yeah it got us a Heisman but it also left a 9-4 record and allowed UT to back their way in to Atlanta.
Plus he had studs on defense that needed a year of experience.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The class was solid for what McElwain's staff came into. The only issue I have with this class is that I wished he picked up a few more down linemen. There should be 8-10 in every class. But this is a rebuild, and 2017 should be a great class, because the relationships should be established and the product on the field should look better after a year of growth on OL and consistent (hopefully) quarterback play.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We filled some needs. But I'd argue that ANY coach at UF can land a top 20 class.....but not top 5. You have to work hard to cracked the top 10.

Bottom line, McElwain got his ass kicked on the recruiting trail. He practically admitted it on signing day.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I went on 247sports.com and i compared Nick Sabans recruiting classes in years 1 and 2. Our numbers are very similar to Bamas. If we have an improved offense our defense will be fine. Our D played 3 qtrs in the last 3 games. We will be ok as long as the QB play is competent. This class filled some big holes that needed addressing. Yes I would love to have had a DL, OL and a LB but hey Im not jumping off the edge. I'm very excited about Coach Mac and Go Gators!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I went on 247sports.com and i compared Nick Sabans recruiting classes in years 1 and 2. Our numbers are very similar to Bamas. If we have an improved offense our defense will be fine. Our D played 3 qtrs in the last 3 games. We will be ok as long as the QB play is competent. This class filled some big holes that needed addressing. Yes I would love to have had a DL, OL and a LB but hey Im not jumping off the edge. I'm very excited about Coach Mac and Go Gators!
Post more please. We're a bit over crowded with the doom and gloom posters these days and could use a little more sunshine around here.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Post more please. We're a bit over crowded with the doom and gloom posters these days and could use a little more sunshine around here.

I think we have more sunshine posters... it is just the small number of doom and gloom guys post a lot more... they are constant and always saying the same thing in every thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.