I'm Rethinking UF's Recruiting

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ok so the more I think about our recruiting class from 2016 and 2015 the more I don't understand some of the whining and moaning. Yes, NSD seemed a little flat and we didn't get any 5 star surprise to finish out the class like we usually do. I'm fine with it and I think the rest of us should be too. Here's why.
We've b!tched for 5 years about lack of quality WR's...We now have plenty, and most are better than smurph quality....Check.
We've b!tched for at least 5 years that we don't have enough offensive linemen, or in my case big enough linemen....We now have a good number and most of them are well over 300#'s, and a few already have SEC experience....Check.
We've bitched about having enough QB's for depth and quality of competition in camp to raise the overall level of play at the position. We've got a 4 star transfer, a 4 star incoming freshmen, a highly experienced grad transfer, and admittedly a project with another incoming freshmen, can't really do any better than that, right?.....Check.
I know we swung and missed on defense a little this year but would you have rather got them and not the offensive players that we have needed for so long to balance out the roster? I would think not.
Frankly my biggest concern with the defense is more on the coaching(Collins) than the players we have. That said we should have a serviceable defense in 2016.
Just try to remember that were getting back to being a proper functioning big time CFB program and I'd say Mac's recruiting is pretty close to being on the money....Now if he can just coach them up.......

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, Mac couldn't waive a magic wand and fill all the needs with 5* talent?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ok so the more I think about our recruiting class from 2016 and 2015 the more I don't understand some of the whining and moaning. Yes, NSD seemed a little flat and we didn't get any 5 star surprise to finish out the class like we usually do. I'm fine with it and I think the rest of us should be too. Here's why.
We've b!tched for 5 years about lack of quality WR's...We now have plenty, and most are better than smurph quality....Check.
We've b!tched for at least 5 years that we don't have enough offensive linemen, or in my case big enough linemen....We now have a good number and most of them are well over 300#'s, and a few already have SEC experience....Check.
We've *****ed about having enough QB's for depth and quality of competition in camp to raise the overall level of play at the position. We've got a 4 star transfer, a 4 star incoming freshmen, a highly experienced grad transfer, and admittedly a project with another incoming freshmen, can't really do any better than that, right?.....Check.
I know we swung and missed on defense a little this year but would you have rather got them and not the offensive players that we have needed for so long to balance out the roster? I would think not.
Frankly my biggest concern with the defense is more on the coaching(Collins) than the players we have. That said we should have a serviceable defense in 2016.
Just try to remember that were getting back to being a proper functioning big time CFB program and I'd say Mac's recruiting is pretty close to being on the money....Now if he can just coach them up.......

PUMPER! Your gonna catch serious flack now!:)

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We've *****ed about having enough QB's for depth and quality of competition in camp to raise the overall level of play at the position. We've got a 4 star transfer, a 4 star incoming freshmen, a highly experienced grad transfer, and admittedly a project with another incoming freshmen, can't really do any better than that, right?.....Check.
It's a solid class. It had a chance to be really good. We missed on a 4th OLineman. We lost our DT that it seems we never had, with no back up plan. We had plenty of PT to give at LB and we got 3 uninspiring guys. No real CBs, yet we could lose 2 after this season. Yes Gardner could be a boundary CB, but most feel like he's going to be a stud Nickel. We lost a 3* CB to Bama, because Mac wouldn't in home with him. We just have to hope that we have miracle evaluations at this point.

So I see a lot of progress, but we definitely left some holes. JUCO recruiting will need to continue strong next year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The most three stars ever in the history of the program under Mac

Bad recipe long term. Spin it all you want pumpers. That's not going to change no matter how positive you think about it. They are still three stars kids at the end of the day. No matter how great you feel about this class it doesn't change the fact that it was 14th, average and well below FSU and Bama's. That's awesome, right?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JFC.....all this botching about a fine class.....There is just one main reason for all of it.

13 EE's!......if all those guys did the hat dance on TV yesterday all of y'all would be creaming in your jeans.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
JFC.....all this botching about a fine class.....There is just one main reason for all of it.

13 EE's!......if all those guys did the hat dance on TV yesterday all of y'all would be creaming in your jeans.

No, it would still be a 14th ranked class. And even the most diehard pumpers would have been in counseling because we'd be 100th going into yesterday. Not a recipe for success.

next...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, it would still be a 14th ranked class. And even the most diehard pumpers would have been in counseling because we'd be 100th going into yesterday. Not a recipe for success.

next...
Yes...yes....improving your class year over year, filling holes on your team, definitely not a recipe for success.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

True, but we would've went from like #60 up to the teens. So we would've had months of bitching leading up to it like last year.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's a solid class. It had a chance to be really good. We missed on a 4th OLineman. We lost our DT that it seems we never had, with no back up plan. We had plenty of PT to give at LB and we got 3 uninspiring guys. No real CBs, yet we could lose 2 after this season. Yes Gardner could be a boundary CB, but most feel like he's going to be a stud Nickel. We lost a 3* CB to Bama, because Mac wouldn't in home with him. We just have to hope that we have miracle evaluations at this point.

So I see a lot of progress, but we definitely left some holes. JUCO recruiting will need to continue strong next year.

I don't agree with you about the LBs. David Reese is going to anchor the middle of the defense. The kid has great football instincts, the kind you can't coach. He also hits like a ton of bricks. Very excited about him.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
T rex, lets see what happens this year on the field. I believe if we are half decent and with mac having had 2 years to croot buy then , that this next class will be elite
Let just wait and see bro. If nexts years class blows then we have an alarming trend

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't agree with you about the LBs. David Reese is going to anchor the middle of the defense. The kid has great football instincts, the kind you can't coach. He also hits like a ton of bricks. Very excited about him.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the LBs won't pan out. I think we are all happy that Reese is a big guy who is an EE. However, these aren't guys that we expect to play next year. We're hoping they can. Slight difference, but significant. What I am saying is that we are hoping that we found some diamonds in the rough. I would have liked the class if we had gotten an expected difference maker like Wilson.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
T rex, lets see what happens this year on the field. I believe if we are half decent and with mac having had 2 years to croot buy then , that this next class will be elite
Let just wait and see bro. If nexts years class blows then we have an alarming trend

Rex wants Mac fired. He wants him to fail. Bottom line....

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The most three stars ever in the history of the program under Mac

Bad recipe long term. Spin it all you want pumpers. That's not going to change no matter how positive you think about it. They are still three stars kids at the end of the day. No matter how great you feel about this class it doesn't change the fact that it was 14th, average and well below FSU and Bama's. That's awesome, right?

Which is worse, 3 star kids on the roster or holes in the roster? I know you want 4 and 5 stars filling those holes, but if they aren't available, or flip-able, or they can't qualify academically....what do you choose? Where do you think we'd rank in recruiting with a class of all 4-5 star kids but only a half dozen total kids for the class? How would next season play out? Or the year after that?

3 stars fill the holes and sustain the program until they get benched by better talent. That 3 star kid knows it and busts his ass not to lose his spot. And even if he's just barely getting by it's better, IMO, to have him out there than to be holding open tryouts midseason for no-star walkons in order to field a team. Maybe you think having 70 kids on the roster is the better choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator