I'm Rethinking UF's Recruiting

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Which is worse, 3 star kids on the roster or holes in the roster? I know you want 4 and 5 stars filling those holes, but if they aren't available, or flip-able, or they can't qualify academically....what do you choose? Where do you think we'd rank in recruiting with a class of all 4-5 star kids but only a half dozen total kids for the class? How would next season play out? Or the year after that?

3 stars fill the holes and sustain the program until they get benched by better talent. That 3 star kid knows it and busts his ass not to lose his spot. And even if he's just barely getting by it's better, IMO, to have him out there than to be holding open tryouts midseason for no-star walkons in order to field a team. Maybe you think having 70 kids on the roster is the better choice?
For all the griping about the walkons having to play, you think this would be a known idea.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know we swung and missed on defense a little this year but would you have rather got them and not the offensive players that we have needed for so long to balance out the roster?

That's the problem with this class. Yes we needed to beef up the offense, but we still need to recruit well on defense. If the offense improves but the defense gets worse, then the team still doesn't get better. Meyer's best year on offense was 2007. Yeah it got us a Heisman but it also left a 9-4 record and allowed UT to back their way in to Atlanta.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the LBs won't pan out. I think we are all happy that Reese is a big guy who is an EE. However, these aren't guys that we expect to play next year. We're hoping they can. Slight difference, but significant. What I am saying is that we are hoping that we found some diamonds in the rough. I would have liked the class if we had gotten an expected difference maker like Wilson.

1) If we're depending on freshman LB's to contribute (which we are) we're screwed (which we are).

2) Daniel McMillan was a highly sought after recruit that everybody was fawning all over. Not many were very excited about Morrison or Davis (both of whom were 3*s.) Those guys turned into pretty good SEC linebackers. McMillan, not so much...though we really need him to finally be a factor in 2016.

- If you watched Collins' interview yesterday he seemed giddy over a couple of those LB's. I'm guessing the staff feels really good about the ones they got. Not that they didn't want Wilson or another stud LB. Of course they did. But Collins definitely had a twinkle in his eye when talking about them and I don't think it was just because he saw the snack table behind that reporter.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Which is worse, 3 star kids on the roster or holes in the roster? I know you want 4 and 5 stars filling those holes, but if they aren't available, or flip-able, or they can't qualify academically....what do you choose? Where do you think we'd rank in recruiting with a class of all 4-5 star kids but only a half dozen total kids for the class? How would next season play out? Or the year after that?

3 stars fill the holes and sustain the program until they get benched by better talent. That 3 star kid knows it and busts his ass not to lose his spot. And even if he's just barely getting by it's better, IMO, to have him out there than to be holding open tryouts midseason for no-star walkons in order to field a team. Maybe you think having 70 kids on the roster is the better choice?

Can't qualify? Does anyone have any SOLID proof that Shavar couldn't qualify?

Fill the holes? Just f ing recruit better.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm rethinking why I clicked on this thread
Are you really that disappointed with our numbers on offense? Sure, we all would like them to be 5 stars but I'd rather have a balanced roster than some hodge podge made up of a couple 4 and 5 stars, a couple of undersized guys, and some converted DE's and misfits along with either a slot receiver or TE as the second option at QB....I also forgot we have a full stable of 4 star RB's that are at least 210# and above....The more I think about it the better it looks.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1) If we're depending on freshman LB's to contribute (which we are) we're screwed (which we are).

2) Daniel McMillan was a highly sought after recruit that everybody was fawning all over. Not many were very excited about Morrison or Davis (both of whom were 3*s.) Those guys turned into pretty good SEC linebackers. McMillan, not so much...though we really need him to finally be a factor in 2016.

- If you watched Collins' interview yesterday he seemed giddy over a couple of those LB's. I'm guessing the staff feels really good about the ones they got. Not that they didn't want Wilson or another stud LB. Of course they did. But Collins definitely had a twinkle in his eye when talking about them and I don't think it was just because he saw the snack table behind that reporter.
Some of us were stoked about Morrison. He was a true under the radar kid. If I recall, he never really camped, yet still got 3*s. He also was known for freak strength. had some big squat numbers and youtube vids.

I'll give you Davis all day. He was an afterthought. McMillian was touted and has the physical game, just no mental game. I hope these LBs can perform, but we aren't expecting it. We are hoping. We expected McMillian and Anzalone to perform, and that really hasn't happened yet. We can't expect these kids to perform this year. I'll be rooting like hell for them, but my expectations are low, and there's is nothing wrong with that.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of the haters probably forget we're limited to 25 per class, and are STILL dangerously below the 85 scholly limit. Sometimes when it's raining outside and you don't have an umbrella, you have to grab a newspaper to hold over your head because that's what's at hand. I think JMac grabbed what was at hand this year and is working his, and all the other coaches' tails off building relationships for 2017 and 2018. I hope I'm right. :lol:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

an ESPN article had FSU bragging that he only committed to us due to pressure. Zach said some IMG staffer mentioned that he had a lot of work to do in the classroom a month or two back. Zach also said a UF source mentioned academics. It sounds like he would have trouble to qualify, but not impossible.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You can't build a house without a foundation.....You can't fire a canon from a canoe either. All the 5 star skill position players in the world won't help if you don't have a line to block for them...We've taken the first step to building a functional offense...we have real QB's, real WR's real RB's and FINALLY decent numbers AND size on the offensive line.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Unless you've signed ALL the 5 stars, and ALL the 4 stars you can until you hit your scholly limit, then there is always room to improve and "Just f ing recruit better"

I never mentioned a specific player, and had none in mind. There was a player last year we were excited about who didn't qualify - kid was a good player AND wanted to be a Gator. He wen't JUCO or prop and hasn't been heard of since other than 'what happened to him' followed by assumptions he wouldn't be coming to us when he got his grades up. I'm sorry I don't remember his name. It happens every year, highly touted recruits commit to a school and can't get in (unless you are F$U or AU) and never make it. Every year, and not just to UF.

The point was that perfection isn't realistic, though that's what it sounds like you are pressing for in recruiting. Below perfection, there are factors at play that limit a coach's success. Some are beyond his control (academics, number of players coming out that are 4-5 stars, the positions of need vs the positions of highly rated kids), some are within his control (Just f ing recruit better). Always room to be 'better', but at what point has a coach done all he can for that season's recruiting? And what do you do when you are still short in your areas of need? Say 4+ star or nothing?

You seem to take no solace in having a 3 star on the roster rather than another hole for another year. 4-5 star is preferred, and that's where YOU stop and btch. The rest of us, including Mac, assess and do the best we can given that situation.

While the glass may be half full for some of us, or even half empty for the others, you seem stuck on the fact that you ordered a pitcher and got a glass.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Unless you've signed ALL the 5 stars, and ALL the 4 stars you can until you hit your scholly limit, then there is always room to improve and "Just f ing recruit better"

I never mentioned a specific player, and had none in mind. There was a player last year we were excited about who didn't qualify - kid was a good player AND wanted to be a Gator. He wen't JUCO or prop and hasn't been heard of since other than 'what happened to him' followed by assumptions he wouldn't be coming to us when he got his grades up. I'm sorry I don't remember his name. It happens every year, highly touted recruits commit to a school and can't get in (unless you are F$U or AU) and never make it. Every year, and not just to UF.

The point was that perfection isn't realistic, though that's what it sounds like you are pressing for in recruiting. Below perfection, there are factors at play that limit a coach's success. Some are beyond his control (academics, number of players coming out that are 4-5 stars, the positions of need vs the positions of highly rated kids), some are within his control (Just f ing recruit better). Always room to be 'better', but at what point has a coach done all he can for that season's recruiting? And what do you do when you are still short in your areas of need? Say 4+ star or nothing?

You seem to take no solace in having a 3 star on the roster rather than another hole for another year. 4-5 star is preferred, and that's where YOU stop and btch. The rest of us, including Mac, assess and do the best we can given that situation.

While the glass may be half full for some of us, or even half empty for the others, you seem stuck on the fact that you ordered a pitcher and got a glass.

You are completely wrong. Just look at our past numbers and where the stars break down. Perfection? Hardly. Do you think it is ok to have the most 3 stars ever over the last two seasons? You don't think something is very wrong? You do realize that it is possible hiring Mac was a mistake, right? Yes, it is too early but he should have cleaned up this cycle. 14th is below avg for us. Are you ok with below avg?

Have you seen the past numbers on the break down of each - 3 stars, 4 stars and 5 stars? We've NEVER taken this many ever. The trend is alarming. The bulk of our classes has always been 4 star kids, always. This isn;t something new or me asking for perfection. It goes back to the Zooker days. You can look it up.

If we've always had the majority of our kids as 4 stars and now we are taking mostly 3 star kids - honestly - do you think that will affect our overall talent level for the better or for the worse? Honest opinion. It's not just one year but now THREE in a row.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our biggest weakness for years has been offensive recruiting and offensive production. It was certainly our Achilles heel again this year. This is the best offensive class we've signed in years! Think about this:

- Two 4* RB's. The number one JC running back and another that Saban was salivating over
- Two QB's. A 4* flip from lsu and the other guy to hold the clipboard and signal in the plays to him
- FIVE 4* receivers. One of them the #2 receiver in the country and most talented one we've landed since Percy Harvin
- Three OL to finally have us to the number a major college program is actually supposed to have. Young OL next year again, but at least we have numbers back up
- The number one kicker who we flipped from bama so maybe we can actually kick extra points and an occasional FG
- The only position we whiffed on was TE but we have four on the roster currently

We addressed the biggest weakness of this team and what has been the source of Gator misery for six seasons now. Yet, all we hear is negativity and anytime somebody has anything positive to say a certain somebody thinks it's his God given mission to shout them down.

Yes, I know we can't improve the offense and then let the defense slip away. Yes, I'm aware that'll cause as much or more frustration moving forward. But defensive recruiting has been superb for years now and this years class was pretty good, but far from great. However, I am stoked about the way our offensive class shaped up. Yet, all we hear about was how bad this class was. See above and then tell me how "bad" we did. If we have a average defensive class next year, that'll be cause for concern. But this is the best offensive class we've had in years and not only addressed our needs, but got exceptional talent.

No one can be excited about that? No one can be allowed to be excited about anything positive whatsoever or risk being shouted down? Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our 25 limit was less the early enrollees that counted back (8 I think). I heard several numbers, as high as 32 for our goal this year. We definitely wanted 5 OL and were furiously trying to add multiple at the end. We were also trying to add top LBers like Davis, Wilson, Uche Bosse and the other kid that signed with Michigan until the last day. We are relegated to begging for Jucos now at DT after signing zero again. Spin all you want.

This is just a mirror image of a Mushcamp class, all offense no defense (instead of all defense) and about 3 big eater OL and DL when we needed 8. We havent landed a true NT since Meyer was here. Swing and miss again. Oh yeah, but a lot less talent in the kids we did manage to land.

You guys are hoping Mac is just a great talent scout, so am I. However Mac was out trying desperately to land better players, especially at LB where we really need 4-6, so we sure as hell werent comfortable with what we had.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
an ESPN article had FSU bragging that he only committed to us due to pressure. Zach said some IMG staffer mentioned that he had a lot of work to do in the classroom a month or two back. Zach also said a UF source mentioned academics. It sounds like he would have trouble to qualify, but not impossible.
Round the Horn said he wouldn't qualify for UF and might not at fsu, but both teams wanted him when he came back from juco. If true, this means we never expected to have a DT for this class.

WinterGarden Gator

Jan 15, 2015
Our 25 limit was less the early enrollees that counted back (8 I think). I heard several numbers, as high as 32 for our goal this year. We definitely wanted 5 OL and were furiously trying to add multiple at the end. We were also trying to add top LBers like Davis, Wilson, Uche Bosse and the other kid that signed with Michigan until the last day. We are relegated to begging for Jucos bow at DT after signing zero again. Spin all you want. This is just a mirror image of a Mushcamp class, all offense no defense (instead of all defense) and about 3 big eater OL and DL when we needed 8. We havent landed a true NT since Meyer was here. Swing and miss again. Oh yeah, but a lot less talent in the kids we did manage to land.

You guys are hoping Mac is just a great talent scout, so am I. However Mac was out trying desperately to land better players, especially at LB where we really need 4-6, so we sure as hell werent comfortable with what we had.
Very clever new Avatar! I like what you did there.:exactly:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Are you really that disappointed with our numbers on offense? Sure, we all would like them to be 5 stars but I'd rather have a balanced roster than some hodge podge made up of a couple 4 and 5 stars, a couple of undersized guys, and some converted DE's and misfits along with either a slot receiver or TE as the second option at QB....I also forgot we have a full stable of 4 star RB's that are at least 210# and above....The more I think about it the better it looks.
I was really just messing with ya. The offensive side of recruiting looks very good. The defensive class was a trainwreck outside of a few players.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Our 25 limit was less the early enrollees that counted back (8 I think). I heard several numbers, as high as 32 for our goal this year. We definitely wanted 5 OL and were furiously trying to add multiple at the end. We were also trying to add top LBers like Davis, Wilson, Uche Bosse and the other kid that signed with Michigan until the last day. We are relegated to begging for Jucos now at DT after signing zero again. Spin all you want.

This is just a mirror image of a Mushcamp class, all offense no defense (instead of all defense) and about 3 big eater OL and DL when we needed 8. We havent landed a true NT since Meyer was here. Swing and miss again. Oh yeah, but a lot less talent in the kids we did manage to land.

You're making good points and most of us are aware of the problem areas that we missed on. We do have quite a few bodies for the defensive line though and I'm not worried about a dominant nose tackle. We can work around that by playing true 4 man fronts. LBers will have to stay healthy as I only count 8 total bodies there.
I guess what I'm saying is we might be average on defense for a change but I think we can only get much better on offense and there's just no way to plug all the holes at one time.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Conventional recruitnik scoring doesn't give any extra credits for the EEs. But it really should.

When the 2016 season starts, they'll have twice as many formal practices as the fall-arriving freshman. They'll have been in a college-level strength and conditioning program for 9 months vs +/- 2. They'll have months more of player-led activities. They're not going to be phased by fall term academics because they're already in the routine, and they were smart and dedicated enough in high school to earn an accelerated graduation.

Put all that together, and everything else being equal, an EE is probably 2.5 to 3 times more likely to be able to make a contribution as a true freshman than a non-EE.

I'm hoping we can get two good DTs as EEs next year. That would pretty much plug that hole, so to speak.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Conventional recruitnik scoring doesn't give any extra credits for the EEs. But it really should.

When the 2016 season starts, they'll have twice as many formal practices as the fall-arriving freshman. They'll have been in a college-level strength and conditioning program for 9 months vs +/- 2. They'll have months more of player-led activities. They're not going to be phased by fall term academics because they're already in the routine, and they were smart and dedicated enough in high school to earn an accelerated graduation.

Put all that together, and everything else being equal, an EE is probably 2.5 to 3 times more likely to be able to make a contribution as a true freshman than a non-EE.

I'm hoping we can get two good DTs as EEs next year. That would pretty much plug that hole, so to speak.
Can you name 2 UF DTs that have been early entrants? With DTs, it is great when they can enter at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.