In depth look at Macs recruiting and if it'll translate to titles

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good read. Makes me think we are hoping to hit a handful of scratch offs with recruiting as opposed to having factors (coaching, facilities, other perks, etc.) in place that attract the better players. Questions are, what are the most important of these factors, do we possess any or just a bare minimum, and what is to be done to get us more adequately involved in this annual priority that even the oldest and most tradition bound :whistle:are understanding to be THE most important step that must be taken to build or regain not only excellence, but also continuity?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Good read. Makes me think we are hoping to hit a handful of scratch offs with recruiting as opposed to having factors (coaching, facilities, other perks, etc.) in place that attract the better players. Questions are, what are the most important of these factors, do we possess any or just a bare minimum, and what is to be done to get us more adequately involved in this annual priority that even the oldest and most tradition bound :whistle:are understanding to be THE most important step that must be taken to build or regain not only excellence, but also continuity?
:bwahaha:
Yes we are firmly in scratch-off territory. But you can't win, if you don't play ;)

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I can only imagine Foley's office after firing Chimp:

Foley: Man that was hard, I just know that if I was able to give Chimp three more years he would get it turned around....

Asst. AD's: Don't worry, we will find the right guy to replace him; perhaps we should find someone who can recruit and is a high profile name?

Foley: No that will not work, I need to be remembered for the guy who hired the next "Billy"...I have a great idea, let's go get us one of those other Saban guys...

Asst. AD's: Uh Jeremy, there's only one out there and he has a 21-17 record. He also isn't really a well known commodity among recruits...

Foley: THIS IS FLORIDA DAMNIT!!!!! WE DONT NEED NO BIG NAME COACH; HELL LOOK AT OUR FACILITIES THEY ARE DOING JUST FINE NEXT TO BAMA's...

Asst. AD's: Jeremy he also has a 7 million dollar buyout; if we do go this route perhaps we should give him a a three year deal just to see if he can make it at this level?

Foley: Listen, I messed up with Chimp. Had I just given him a 10 year deal to start out with, he would still be here and turning this program around. I won't make the same mistake. McElwain definitely needs and deserves a six year deal. I know you and the fans have concerns but I am right. I've been here for over fifteen years and I have brought us many national championships in chess and slap-jack; I am the smartest guy in this room and I know Jim will prove this right.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It seems like Mac surrounded himself with some very bland guys who simply don't excite anyone on the recruiting trail. I was on record, early on in his tenure, saying that I'd take real coaches who also recruit over recruiters(great sales people) who then try to coach the kids up. And I stand by that. But there has to be a some measure of balance.

I read something a few weeks ago, where a beat writer was asked about Nord(I think?). His quote was that kids actually liked him, but that he just wasn't a "social media" guy, and that hurts him. The point is, in 2016, you simply cannot have a guy who fails to utilize a valuable tool in recruiting. We should know, as it was Meyer's staff that destroyed Bowden and the noles in his final years, largely because of our creative use of technology. That was 10 years ago. I've defended Mac, and still think he can make it work, but there is zero excuse for hiring(retaining) someone who admittedly is clueless about and/or unwilling to try the technologies that are being used in recruiting. It's inexcusable.

I honestly think if a guy like Mac had come here in 2002, 2005, or 2011--where he inherited a decent situation and only need to sustain it and ultimately improve things--we would be looking a lot better. The reality is we let the product slip to a point that required a dynamic force to reignite things and get us back on the map(see Harbaugh). And in typical zero-sum game fashion, our loss in status directly aided several of our rivals.

As some others have said, it's not as if we're getting no one. We will still likely end up with a solid class. But we're not going to take that step forward without a lot more difference makers. And depending on a few factors, we may very well step back. At the risk of stating the obvious, this class is critical.

All that being said, the optimist in me says this is the week we show a true resurgence with a convincing win in Jax that propels us to strong finish on and off the field.

Last edited:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gawd that was even more depressing than watching our performance under Mac.

To sum it up, if we don't sign a top 5 class this year, with a large number of blue chippers, our present :trainwreck: will cause many to :drunk:

some will :surrender:, others might :suicide2:, and the odds of being relevant in our lifetime are slim.

My take, it could happen, but Fresno State taking nuss off our hands at the end of the season will be the turning point that starts us on our way to a NC in 2020.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It would sure be nice to have about 6/8 more big strong linemen on the roster.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
So far, Mac is recruiting as if he were still at CSU. Those 2 and 3 star guys may be king of the hill there, but they just won't cut it in the SEC.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be fine with some growing pains in recruiting, if they would have gotten numbers on the lines, and effectively managed the roster.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I watched a two hour video on youtube with all the Omar's Coming Yo scenes stitched together. Interesting stuff, I actually watched the whole thing, but I have bad news for you about how it ends.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good read and quite disconcerting. What did Bear Bryant refer to Florida as? A sleeping giant? That's back where we're headed, a quarter century of gains out the door, if we aren't more careful.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After reading the thread about the Lemons kid and his problems that led to a decommitment followed closely by the quick commitment of the lesser-rated back and then Cronkrite's reported impending departure, I'm not exactly swelling with confidence in terms of the repair and rebuilding of the roster. I know there is still some time to make gains on the upcoming class, but this kind of thing to go along with a decided lack of numbers where the best players at positions of need are concerned doesn't exactly foster a good feeling. I think that Mac and Co. have done some good things with the development of some of the less-acclaimed players they've signed, but it is a process that takes time and with the roster in the shape it has been in, time is not a commodity we have if getting back in the hunt sooner than later and consistently is a priority.

I'm no recruiting guru by any means, but I understand the ramifications and I will go on record here as saying that Mac's most important recruit of this cycle might be the QB from STA. If what I read about him is correct, his strong suit seems to be leadership and confidence. His numbers are not eye-popping (if I'm remembering correctly) when compared to the elite QB recruits, but potential is there. The hope, I think, is that he will be a player that develops rapidly and can make an impact no later than his second collegiate season. Given the QB issues we have had since Meyer's last year through now, it is of utmost importance that we get a guy that can not only lead (this is a reported strength of LDR), but can also shred a defense. OL issues notwithstanding, we have IMO a talented group of receivers that will only get better as they mature and gain experience. But we've got to have that guy that can get it to them along with the leadership and management pieces. Barring an elite 11 type kid that we don't know about who may be in the wings, Allen is it and I'm thinking Mac has a lot of his hopes pinned on this kid. I'd like to think that Franks or Trask could emerge, but if they were figured into an upcoming plan (like next year), I believe we might have seen some PT for them in a least a couple of games.

Obviously, we have a lot of personnel deficiencies to rectify, but I really believe that when we get a stud QB, better things will start happening for us. One last thought...the word hope comes up quite a bit when talking about recruiting, turning things around, etc. That's not a word that engenders confidence! We'll see.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I assume Allen will redshirt next year unless he is an absolute stud and can start immediately. I still think the OL is vital, but even a good OL won't make a bad QB look great. We now have a stable of WRs and 2 very good RBs (Thompson will be better next year).

Defensively we may be in a world of hurt next year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
One last thought...the word hope comes up quite a bit when talking about recruiting, turning things around, etc. That's not a word that engenders confidence! We'll see

This has been eating at me for weeks. I was one of those that kept hoping WM would turn things around. My hopes were misplaced. With Mac, I've had hopes of better times, and while they have been better they haven't allowed me to build hope. I try to, and game performance reminds me 'not yet'.

There are times when one can have confidence, such as we had with SOS and UM. There are no grounds for confidence in the past regime, or so far with this one. Hope is the wish for confidence, with the possibility for it to come. I haven't been able to hope yet.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I assume Allen will redshirt next year unless he is an absolute stud and can start immediately. I still think the OL is vital, but even a good OL won't make a bad QB look great. We now have a stable of WRs and 2 very good RBs (Thompson will be better next year).

Defensively we may be in a world of hurt next year.

A good oline will make a bad quarterback functional, Noah Brindise is an example of that... solid OLine, good running game, and good/great college receivers. All he had to do is follow direction, and not make a mistake.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hate getting into these pissing contests, but here goes...

There is a lot I have liked about Mac. What many here find annoying doesn't bother me. I think his "schtick" is calculated and while it doesn't play well here, it does play well with the bigger audience IMO.

I've also felt like he has done a good job of coaching with the assets he's had to work with. He inherited a pile of crap, and frankly to win 10 games last year, and be 5-1 this year with our glaring weaknesses is ok by me. We have a depth problem - a significant one, and that problem shows up over and over on the field. UT was the perfect example for me - while not highly talented, their team didn't drop significantly going to their 2s when the 1s needed a break. We had a tremendous dropoff, especially in the O-line, and so when our O-line got worn out, and our 2s were worthless, the whole 2nd half fell apart. It bled over to the D too (although many here don't agree).

Many here are infuriated by that 2nd half. In retrospect it shouldn't be a surprise. We don't have the horses, and THAT is my issue. My fear is not that Mac can't coach...he hasn't shown he can get the horses. I'm not seeing the sense of urgency, the confidence, or swagger that comes with attracting the kind of kids that make a difference.

Label me a pumper all you want - I'm good with many of the things Mac is doing. But if he can't get the horses in the stable, I'm off the train. It's just a reality of this business.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Label me a pumper all you want - I'm good with many of the things Mac is doing. But if he can't get the horses in the stable, I'm off the train. It's just a reality of this business.
good post. I think most on here would agree to cut mac some slack on the current results if he was pulling in good classes that engendered excitement for the future. As you have said, because his recruiting has been suspect, people dont have a sense of hope of things getting better, and therein lies their/our/my despair

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Do you guys really think mac will be on the hot seat going into next year his recruting classes ain't ranked high enough? If we win 7 games and finish with a class ranked in the 20s he'll probably get an extension. We are the minority here. All the casual fan sees isbour record. My fear is its gonna take the wheels completely falling off of before we decide to make a move. I'm not calling for his head after 2 years but if 2017 is as bad as I think it will be, I hope he doesnt get a 4th year like muschamp did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator