In depth look at Macs recruiting and if it'll translate to titles

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Do you guys really think mac will be on the hot seat going into next year his recruting classes ain't ranked high enough? If we win 7 games and finish with a class ranked in the 20s he'll probably get an extension. We are the minority here. All the casual fan sees isbour record. My fear is its gonna take the wheels completely falling off of before we decide to make a move. I'm not calling for his head after 2 years but if 2017 is as bad as I think it will be, I hope he doesnt get a 4th year like muschamp did.

Remember T, we have a new AD. And although he has tolerated Mullen he might have bigger expectations for Florida who is no Mississippi State.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Remember T, we have a new AD. And although he has tolerated Mullen he might have bigger expectations for Florida who is no Mississippi State.

With a new AD I think he will want his own brand on the program. Mac MUST pull in top talent this go around.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I'm just not understanding this huge recruiting problem. We are the only SEC team in the state, great fan base, great tradition, great rivalries, former natty champs x2, great national TV coverage and we can't get one single 5 star to look at us? How in Hell can fsu be raking in all the top studs and we get nothing but small-town players? They've already lost twice and probably 3 by Sunday, and 4 if we can get 'em this year (we have a shot). What is broken here? This place should "sell itself" into at least 2 5's and 12-14 4's every damn year. I'm just wondering what this staff is/is not doing on the trail. By our own standards we're not that good right now but our W/L record isn't bad enough to make the kids run away. The "come be a Gator and get on the field early" angle can be sold - hard- to the young studs. Excel as a Gator and you can write your ticket to the NFL.

Are things really that bad in recruiting? After reading that article you'd think it's hopeless for years to come. I can't believe that. We just need to kick recruiting in the azz. And maybe kick McElwain into SEC football reality - I'm not sure he really understands where he is and what is mandatory to achieve if he wants to keep his job.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with ya BNA. He has to get the horses in the stable or its going to be rough. Cover makes a good point on Allen. You get one good guy to fall into place the others will come. Reminds me of Tebow and how Spikes said he would go wherever TT went. Sometimes it takes one to get the ball rolling. But the train that needs to be rolling is one big enough to carry some DL and OLmen.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hate getting into these pissing contests, but here goes...

There is a lot I have liked about Mac. What many here find annoying doesn't bother me. I think his "schtick" is calculated and while it doesn't play well here, it does play well with the bigger audience IMO.

I've also felt like he has done a good job of coaching with the assets he's had to work with. He inherited a pile of crap, and frankly to win 10 games last year, and be 5-1 this year with our glaring weaknesses is ok by me. We have a depth problem - a significant one, and that problem shows up over and over on the field. UT was the perfect example for me - while not highly talented, their team didn't drop significantly going to their 2s when the 1s needed a break. We had a tremendous dropoff, especially in the O-line, and so when our O-line got worn out, and our 2s were worthless, the whole 2nd half fell apart. It bled over to the D too (although many here don't agree).

Many here are infuriated by that 2nd half. In retrospect it shouldn't be a surprise. We don't have the horses, and THAT is my issue. My fear is not that Mac can't coach...he hasn't shown he can get the horses. I'm not seeing the sense of urgency, the confidence, or swagger that comes with attracting the kind of kids that make a difference.

Label me a pumper all you want - I'm good with many of the things Mac is doing. But if he can't get the horses in the stable, I'm off the train. It's just a reality of this business.

According to some people's list of blue chippers (most he inherited I think) Mac isn't doing too good considering our talent level star wise.

Last edited:

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I'm with ya BNA. He has to get the horses in the stable or its going to be rough. Cover makes a good point on Allen. You get one good guy to fall into place the others will come. Reminds me of Tebow and how Spikes said he would go wherever TT went. Sometimes it takes one to get the ball rolling. But the train that needs to be rolling is one big enough to carry some DL and OLmen.
I think if we can get Leatherwood to flip to us it may just get that ball rolling! Big OL appeal to these skill guys. What makes the Spikes decision so awesome is the fact he was a defensive player. That put a big blue chip player on each side of the ball!

Go Gators!!!

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
In state, FSU has FAMU and Miami has South Beach. Two big recruiting bonuses that we lack, so we really have to have the A game going with whatever Gator Mojo can be mustered. It is not a level field.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
In state, FSU has FAMU and Miami has South Beach. Two big recruiting bonuses that we lack, so we really have to have the A game going with whatever Gator Mojo can be mustered. It is not a level field.

Pardon my ignorance, but wtf is FAMU doing for FSU?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ICover makes a good point on Allen.
Have you watched Allen play? Or him at the camps? I have and its far from impressive so far.

Tebow looked like a man playing against middle schoolers.

I hope Im wrong but Franks looked better and he threw sidearm sometimes.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
....ummmmm, p*ssy. Pretty simple: hot, black co-eds.
Bowden made use of this resource to put the criminoles on the map. Times have changed, as most athletes are dating white girls, but it's still a factor.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Do you guys really think mac will be on the hot seat going into next year his recruting classes ain't ranked high enough? If we win 7 games and finish with a class ranked in the 20s he'll probably get an extension. We are the minority here. All the casual fan sees isbour record. My fear is its gonna take the wheels completely falling off of before we decide to make a move. I'm not calling for his head after 2 years but if 2017 is as bad as I think it will be, I hope he doesnt get a 4th year like muschamp did.
The Swamp will be empty if he's given a 4th year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
C'mon dude, everyone knows about UF's big draw.....Gainesville Green and Café Risque

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Summers has an opportunity to save his job with this recruiting class. If we whiff on the OLine, I think he may be gone. Nord is probably going to be out as well. I can see Collins getting a HC offer with all the praise our D gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator