In depth look at Macs recruiting and if it'll translate to titles

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Summers has an opportunity to save his job with this recruiting class. If we whiff on the OLine, I think he may be gone. Nord is probably going to be out as well. I can see Collins getting a HC offer with all the praise our D gets.
Yeah, like Collins' brilliant coaching performance against band boy and his orchestra of creamcicles ... hopefully the door hits him on the ass.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
My loving the Gators, being a Gator fan, doesn't depend on the number of stars a recruit has. I realize that in this statistically proven world it will likely translate into more wins in the long run and probably more entertaining football as a whole. I loved the Gators and was a fan before I knew about any of that stuff. If you've given up on Gator football because it disappoints you so, please give up on this place, too. Thank you.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My loving the Gators, being a Gator fan, doesn't depend on the number of stars a recruit has. I realize that in this statistically proven world it will likely translate into more wins in the long run and probably more entertaining football as a whole. I loved the Gators and was a fan before I knew about any of that stuff. If you've given up on Gator football because it disappoints you so, please give up on this place, too. Thank you.

You just want a bunch of sunshine pumpers around? That got us a 4th year of Muschamp when he should have been gone after 3 years like Zook.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member

I agree I was much happier in the 90's and early 2000's with Gator football. I didn't follow recruiting, and it wasn't magnified as much as it is now with social media, and ESPN featuring the kids on NSD. Now that everyone follows recruiting, and if you aren't a 5 star you're trash around here. I just miss the gold old days I guess.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I'm with ya BNA. He has to get the horses in the stable or its going to be rough. Cover makes a good point on Allen. You get one good guy to fall into place the others will come. Reminds me of Tebow and how Spikes said he would go wherever TT went. Sometimes it takes one to get the ball rolling. But the train that needs to be rolling is one big enough to carry some DL and OLmen.
Allen has been mediocre in big games and he's a turnover machine. In the only big games he played this year

23-62 375 1 TD 3 Int. That's atrocious for a HS QB. Maybe that's why he's a composite 3* on 247.

and if he could help draw big names here we would have seen his pull by now. He's been a gator for almost a year and a half. He's a project at QB imo.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Allen has been mediocre in big games and he's a turnover machine. In the only big games he played this year

23-62 375 1 TD 3 Int. That's atrocious for a HS QB. Maybe that's why he's a composite 3* on 247.

and if he could help draw big names here we would have seen his pull by now. He's been a gator for almost a year and a half. He's a project at QB imo.
I think he's better than what "project" usually means. He's shown some real flashes. He just needs some polishing to become more consistent. The talent is there. But I think you're right, won't make a difference until RS Soph at the earliest

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I just don't think Football is as high up on the list of priorities for the current President and AD. Maybe the new hire will breath some life into it. Mac doesn't strike me as a great salesman. He doesn't come across very well with interviews and i am sure he isn't taken very seriously with the recruits when he is trying to make a sales pitch. If Charlie gets canned I hope we can lure him to the staff. Somebody has got to pick up the slack and improve the recruiting or we won't be competitive.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think he's better than what "project" usually means. He's shown some real flashes. He just needs some polishing to become more consistent. The talent is there. But I think you're right, won't make a difference until RS Soph at the earliest

I've heard that Feleipe Franks has had the least coaching-QB-mentoring. So I'm thinking with newfound "high-paid"
coaching, film science, etc. Franks has the biggest upside. It'd be sweet at 6'6" 230 lbs and swift & slinky. We need
modernity's version of Larry Rentz = '63 ... 6'2", 145 lbs of slithering eel. Franks just needs to have his gunslinging
ability channeled -- a "Grossman-Rentz"??

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't think Football is as high up on the list of priorities for the current President and AD. Maybe the new hire will breath some life into it. Mac doesn't strike me as a great salesman. He doesn't come across very well with interviews and i am sure he isn't taken very seriously with the recruits when he is trying to make a sales pitch. If Charlie gets canned I hope we can lure him to the staff. Somebody has got to pick up the slack and improve the recruiting or we won't be competitive.

I doubt Charlie will be going back to a DC right away, I expect either UCF or USF to have a job opening, which he would be a top candidate for. With his ability to recruit Florida, and his proven success at a mid major. They would be a prime landing spot for him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt Charlie will be going back to a DC right away, I expect either UCF or USF to have a job opening, which he would be a top candidate for. With his ability to recruit Florida, and his proven success at a mid major. They would be a prime landing spot for him.
That would suck. We would lose even more UF vs directional school recruiting battles

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Douglas, why do you think UCF and/or USF would have a job opening? Do you expect one of their coaches to leave for a better job? Frost just got there and Taggert has been mediocre.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Douglas, why do you think UCF and/or USF would have a job opening? Do you expect one of their coaches to leave for a better job? Frost just got there and Taggert has been mediocre.

I expect one or both to be offered jobs, Frost is highly regarded by Oregon, and I would wager he would go back in a heart beat. Frost was well respected before leaving Oregon and now he has some head coaching experience under his belt. Taggert entered into a $hit storm at USF, has the program going in as good as it is going to go under him. Had a decent run at WKU, and someone will take a shot on him this or next year. I would not be shocked if one or both are gone this year and especially the next 2 to 3.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Temporarily. You are missing the point that he then enters our hiring pool for coaches.
i absolutely dont want him as hbc. Id love to have him back as dc or recruiting coordinator. I still think that's a legitimate possibility. Some people just would like to have the lesser responsibility and do something they're good at. if he's available we should offer him a Bama sized coordinator contract. It's one of the few possibilities of turning Mac & Company around.

Sidehat, and more importantly Sidehat's agent, know it doesn't get any better than this, no matter how many more 500-yard defensive performances we put up. If he's going to sell high this year is the year to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator