It's time for Trask to play an entire game without getting yanked

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Somebody help a fellow Gator out here! Have they outlawed running backs, fullbacks, 2-back sets, end arounds, etc.?
It is a philosophy thing.

Mullinz wants to win the numbers game and the way to do that is have the QB account for the free rusher, and thus have more blockers than defenders. Or have the QB be the rusher and have a numbers advantage in the box.

Honestly, I don't think he knows what a draw play is, other than a QB draw. Draws are what we should be doing once we make the defenses back up to respect the pass. Maybe SOS can explain it to him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Filling Mullen's order for this offense is like threading the needle.

How often are you gonna be able to recruit a 220-pound passer who thrives on running between the tackles?

This is a chance for Mullen to show his ability to adapt and thrive. If he's willing to throw it away based on dogma like Ox thinks he will, I have no use for the guy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Jones should get reps. We've got capital invested in him and we're one bad tackle away from starting him, but I don't see your vision coming true.
I don't mind reps, but it depends on the circumstances. If UF is behind and needs points, he doesn't need to be sniffing the field.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't mind reps, but it depends on the circumstances. If UF is behind and needs points, he doesn't need to be sniffing the field.
Who knows? That may change based on LSU. I thought EJ was going to amount to something, and he may still. He's got plenty of time. He did not look ready for the environment in Baton Rouge.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
It is a philosophy thing.

Mullinz wants to win the numbers game and the way to do that is have the QB account for the free rusher, and thus have more blockers than defenders. Or have the QB be the rusher and have a numbers advantage in the box.

Honestly, I don't think he knows what a draw play is, other than a QB draw. Draws are what we should be doing once we make the defenses back up to respect the pass. Maybe SOS can explain it to him.
A well run draw is a thing of beauty.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
If I'm Trask, I would ask Mullen if he was going to alter the offense a bit to suit his skills. If Mullen says no, then I transfer to a smaller school to get more experience before the draft.

Or, you can just enter the NFL draft and cross your fingers you get a call.

sound advice

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Recruiting is the primary culprit, for sure. But did you notice how I qualified that: “if we’re going to overreact”....

I think changes are needed and I think Grantham will have a game like this every year but I don’t think he needs to be fired - that would be an overreaction. Just don’t understand why this place is melting down about offense. Few things go our way on offense and it’s a tied game. Still likely lose because our defense was incapable of stopping LSU.

So every year we can expect an historically bad defensive performance?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it common knowledge that Emory is getting every 3rd series since Trask has been starting? It had to be here that I read it.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I don't want to see Emory Jones on the field for a single play next week, even if we're up 80 in the fourth quarter. Let Trask play an entire game without yanking him out. Had we done this last night, we're all in a much different mood this morning.

Trask is good enough that I would actually be excited about him coming back next year, ASSUMING that Mullen would actually let him play QB and not insist on the option. I'm not holding my breath.

Discuss.
No...the run game depends on Emory imo. As does the offense inside the 30 yard line

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My opinion is Trask has exceeded expectations passing the ball...by a ton!
He’s almost laughable at times running the option, which makes EJ necessary for any semblance of a rushing attack. Not Kyle’s fault our OL uses the electric fat wagons at the grocery store ‘cause they couldn’t push a shopping cart, but it is what it is.
He also does a poor job protecting the ball. Way too many turnovers.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The QB dilemma is all about QB timing - not on the field, but in the class. How would this problem be viewed if EJ was a freshman, in the class that the dispatched Jalon Jones was in? And then there is the possibility that Anthony Richardson might shine as he is brought along while being the run-bash QB-type Mullen wants? So, the Occam's-razor solution is for EJ to develop into a passer as worthy as Trask. Kyle is a gator. It's his dream-job. Kyle won't transfer.

Think about this brilliant solution:
1) Trask & EJ line up parallel in the "shortgun", spaced 3 yards apart.
2) Pierce the basher or M'Davis our slasher is lined up little further back aligned in the gap between our two variety QB.
3) Now those defenses are facing a snap to a) pure passer Trask, RPO EJ, or wildcat RB Pierce or M. Davis?
4) Adding to the confusion (which you know I'm all for) there's Toney & Copeland alternating wide-out with close-flanker (2 options there).
In 1-4 there are 5 options. And of course we play "hurry-up offense". Get Trasks knee a 100% and train him to punt. Is he gonna fake.
Geece, I'm excited for next season already. Nobody's gonna want to transfer out of that fun. UF and Mullen will be the toast of the national spotlight.
:stars:Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Think about this brilliant solution:
1) Trask & EJ line up parallel in the "shortgun", spaced 3 yards apart.
You spent a lot of time on this, huh?

So, how do we handle the extra free blitzer caused by two QBs?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
First half of LSU game we had passes (or attempted passes) of
30 yards
Next person that says sideways offense should be banned for life.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Itraz made a great point that our elite group of WR's will be gone soon and aren't being replaced. This is the one year that you go all out and use them. Instead, they are wasted.

Mullen needs to throw the old playbook out the window and go for broke this season. Throw 60 times a game if necessary. However, there is a better chance of me waking up tomorrow and having 3 johnsons.
You can get whatever penis attachments Mrs. Ox wants. What's important is that we might even be better at receiver NEXT season with Toney, Grimes, and Copeland getting the majority of balls. Pitts also, but you probably don't count him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
30 yards
And what were the passes when Emory was in there? Go ahead and give us the list, genius.

I was talking about the offense WITHOUT Trask. He's the only thing making us a passing team at the moment, and trust me when I tell you Mullen cannot wait until he thinks Jones is ready so he can sit Trask back on the bench full time and we can move away from those pesky downfield throws.

Sober up.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And what were the passes when Emory was in there? Go ahead and give us the list, genius.

I was talking about the offense WITHOUT Trask. He's the only thing making us a passing team at the moment, and trust me when I tell you Mullen cannot wait until he thinks Jones is ready so he can sit Trask back on the bench full time and we can move away from those pesky downfield throws.

Sober up.
Emory threw the seam route to Pitts that would have been a touchdown if he had held onto the ball after being hit. He had a short throw into the endzone for a touchdown, but when you’re on the 2 yard line, all throws are going to be short. Can’t remember what his other pass attempt was.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
30 yards
Are you counting yac too?

But we are throwing more medium passes than Mullinz ever has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator