It's time for Trask to play an entire game without getting yanked

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Or maybe just putting Trask under center, getting in the I-formation, and handing off to someone. We might be amazed what happens.

Oh man wouldn't that be a great idea...

Let's bring more defensive guys into the box with an OL that already can't run block as it is. I am sure that will gain us more yards on the ground. We have lined up in single back and two back formations a few times and the OL can't create enough push for Perine not to be hit in the backfield.

The whole concept of running out of four and five wide sets is to allow for more running lanes to open with less men in the box. However, with our abysmal OL, we're not getting to the second level which is what has to happen.

No formation is going to change the fact that our OL can't create push

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Uh bud do we have a FB on this roster at all? We don't even have any TE's with enough size to line up and play that position.

Terry Jackson wasn't "big" enough to play full back when he was playing the position initially. Its about want to, and willingness to put your head in there. We have several talented backs, at least one of them could be that guy.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Terry Jackson wasn't "big" enough to play full back when he was playing the position initially. Its about want to, and willingness to put your head in there. We have several talented backs, at least one of them could be that guy.

We have no one with any size or enough blocking skills to do so. I actually don't think Dan would totally be against using one if he thought we had the guys to do so

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have no one with any size or enough blocking skills to do so. I actually don't think Dan would totally be against using one if he thought we had the guys to do so

TE Krull, Lang, or Gamble could potentially fill an Fullback, H back (not halfback) role
We are light in the ass at running back, best option would be Perine at 220, but having both him and Pierce on the field might be good.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
TE Krull, Lang, or Gamble could potentially fill an Fullback, H back (not halfback) role
We are light in the ass at running back, best option would be Perine at 220, but having both him and Pierce on the field might be good.

Come on Dougie, you've seen Krull block. That guy couldn't block you or I.

Gamble would be the only one to fill the H back role imo

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Come on Dougie, you've seen Krull block. That guy couldn't block you or I.

Gamble would be the only one to fill the H back role imo

90% of blocking is want to, which is what I said. Krull would need an attitude adjustment.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We have our best pure passer since Rex Grossman, a QB with ice water in his veins, and we have fans clamoring to bench him. It's just insanity.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
We have our best pure passer since Rex Grossman, a QB with ice water in his veins, and we have fans clamoring to bench him. It's just insanity.

but the serious question is what happens if he tears it up and wants to stay another season?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
but the serious question is what happens if he tears it up and wants to stay another season?
If I'm Trask, I would ask Mullen if he was going to alter the offense a bit to suit his skills. If Mullen says no, then I transfer to a smaller school to get more experience before the draft.

Or, you can just enter the NFL draft and cross your fingers you get a call.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
There aren’t any WRs next season...but I see your point...I’d be worried about Emory bolting at that point is what I meant

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If I'm Trask, I would ask Mullen if he was going to alter the offense a bit to suit his skills. If Mullen says no, then I transfer to a smaller school to get more experience before the draft.

Or, you can just enter the NFL draft and cross your fingers you get a call.
You can't be serious. The kid just showcased his talents in front of millions of TV viewers, no doubt aided by the plays Mullen diagrammed and solid route running by guys like Jefferson. He even gets to showcase his mobility, as slight as it is.

He's gotta be pinching himself.

Kyle Trask's dream is playing out in front of him. Not a chance in hell in he shuns this opportunity.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You can't be serious. The kid just showcased his talents in front of millions of TV viewers, no doubt aided by the plays Mullen diagrammed and solid route running by guys like Jefferson. He even gets to showcase his mobility, as slight as it is.

He's gotta be pinching himself.

Kyle Trask's dream is playing out in front of him. Not a chance in hell in he shuns this opportunity.
What opportunity? To sit the bench behind Jones next year? He's going to play less and less to end his Gator career, not more. It's not fair to him.

He could transfer to a small school, start immediately without any danger of ever getting pulled, and throw for a million yards.

If Mullen had felt Jones was ready, Trask never would have taken a single snap for the Gators.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What opportunity? To sit the bench behind Jones next year? He's going to play less and less to end his Gator career, not more. It's not fair to him.

He could transfer to a small school, start immediately without any danger of ever getting pulled, and throw for a million yards.
And it would be discounted for his decision to go small.

So you bash Mullen for putting Jones in when Trask was hot but you're willing to speculate that he'll unseat Trask.

You're leaping to conclusions.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There aren’t any WRs next season...but I see your point...I’d be worried about Emory bolting at that point is what I meant
Grimes is a JR. Does he go pro?
Copeland a RS Freshman - which would make it odd for him to transfer - he's gonna be the man next year.
Maybe we can get VJ to enroll in Grad school. <pray>
Swain, Hammond, Cleveland are Sr's.
But we've got two top 250 receivers coming in and I think there was another high ranked guy we were on.
And Toney - if he's healthy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And it would be discounted for his decision to go small.

So you bash Mullen for putting Jones in when Trask was hot but you're willing to speculate that he'll unseat Trask.

You're leaping to conclusions.
You have been losing it. MULLEN will unseat Trask, not Emory Jones. He wants his guy in there so he can waste as many plays as possible with his sideways offense.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Grimes is a JR. Does he go pro?
Copeland a RS Freshman - which would make it odd for him to transfer - he's gonna be the man next year.
Maybe we can get VJ to enroll in Grad school. <pray>
Swain, Hammond, Cleveland are Sr's.
But we've got two top 250 receivers coming in and I think there was another high ranked guy we were on.
And Toney - if he's healthy.
With the talent in front of them, it’s prolly tough to get on the field, but has anyone heard about how the freshman receivers have looked in practice?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have been losing it. MULLEN will unseat Trask, not Emory Jones. He wants his guy in there so he can waste as many plays as possible with his sideways offense.
Nice try. Our offensive numbers haven't been this good in a decade. If Mullen is that willing to sacrifice the offense -- and I ain't buying it -- he deserves a one-way ticket out of town.

Jones looked lost on Saturday.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If Mullen is that willing to sacrifice the offense -- and I ain't buying it -- he deserves a one-time way ticket out of town.
He absolutely, 100% IS, and that game last Saturday proved it. You're going to see a lot more evidence of it as the year goes on. There's going to be some very angry threads about it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He absolutely, 100% IS, and that game last Saturday proved it. You're going to see a lot more evidence of it as the year goes on. There's going to be some very angry threads about it.
Jones should get reps. We've got capital invested in him and we're one bad tackle away from starting him, but I don't see your vision coming true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.