It's time to move on

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
While he’s wishing in one hand he needs to crap in the other and see which one fills up first. And the hand full of crap is a perfect metaphor for what the program is under his direction and Billy’s process.
:surrender:
:surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:

When C2 is doing this then you know it is officially over. A coach or a former coach is the last person who is going to call for a current coach to be dismissed, outside of a non football issue.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Re coaching changes: I don't believe Napier wants to get rid of his staff, perhaps no matter what. He's a nice guy, loyal. As well, I don't believe he has the coaching relationships that a Saban does. To get great coaches, he would basically be cold calling guys he doesn't yet know. Add to that, that a great position coach, who would surely interview Napier, and vet by watching his post game press videos, would probably think he doesn't want to work for a guy that is less capable than himself. Would you want to coach under Napier?

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Re coaching changes: I don't believe Napier wants to get rid of his staff, perhaps no matter what. He's a nice guy, loyal. As well, I don't believe he has the coaching relationships that a Saban does. To get great coaches, he would basically be cold calling guys he doesn't yet know. Add to that, that a great position coach, who would surely interview Napier, and vet by watching his post game press videos, would probably think he doesn't want to work for a guy that is less capable than himself. Would you want to coach under Napier?
I would not let my kid play for him if he had other choices.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
I agree with you based on his demeanor and his folksy b.s. pre and post-game in locker room..."...it's a privilege to play this game..." blah blah blah. There's being positive and motivating and there's delusional and disconnected from reality and Napsack is definitely the later. This staff was definitely his "A Team" from his previous spot, sprinkled in with some others that clearly haven't worked in our favor. Another case study in why you never become business partners with friends, etc. because eventually it comes to a point a change needs to be made and that crucial organizational change involves getting rid of said friend(s). Napsack definitely doesn't have that cutthroat mentality.

I'm not a Bama fan, but I respect the hell out of Saban because look at his track record at Bama...dude has had a multitude of O.C.'s and D.C.'s with varying personalities and quirks and has 6 natty's. His culture and system and penchant for recruiting has been the overwhelming catalyst, irregardless of who's calling the plays on offense and defense. He's the ultimate C.E.O., letting his exec staff run operations and he interjects when needed. Urban did it and it was successful. Napier isn't even a C.E.O. type because he doesn't instill confidence or fear into his players. Dudes aren't running through a wall for Napsack.

We need a C.E.O. that's willing to check their ego at the door and hire the best talented people for each position on staff. That's who we need to hire, irregardless what it costs us.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I agree with you based on his demeanor and his folksy b.s. pre and post-game in locker room..."...it's a privilege to play this game..." blah blah blah. There's being positive and motivating and there's delusional and disconnected from reality and Napsack is definitely the later. This staff was definitely his "A Team" from his previous spot, sprinkled in with some others that clearly haven't worked in our favor. Another case study in why you never become business partners with friends, etc. because eventually it comes to a point a change needs to be made and that crucial organizational change involves getting rid of said friend(s). Napsack definitely doesn't have that cutthroat mentality.

I'm not a Bama fan, but I respect the hell out of Saban because look at his track record at Bama...dude has had a multitude of O.C.'s and D.C.'s with varying personalities and quirks and has 6 natty's. His culture and system and penchant for recruiting has been the overwhelming catalyst, irregardless of who's calling the plays on offense and defense. He's the ultimate C.E.O., letting his exec staff run operations and he interjects when needed. Urban did it and it was successful. Napier isn't even a C.E.O. type because he doesn't instill confidence or fear into his players. Dudes aren't running through a wall for Napsack.

We need a C.E.O. that's willing to check their ego at the door and hire the best talented people for each position on staff. That's who we need to hire, irregardless what it costs us.
Spot on. And with rare exceptions, Saban made hires that came in and more or less seamlessly adapted and kept momentum. I don't think Napier gets that part. The other thing we see in Saban is that he takes no sheet and on the sidelines can be seen demanding excellence from his unit coaches, ie chews their asses.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

just a bunch of smoking mirrors....

:snicker:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Spot on. And with rare exceptions, Saban made hires that came in and more or less seamlessly adapted and kept momentum. I don't think Napier gets that part. The other thing we see in Saban is that he takes no sheet and on the sidelines can be seen demanding excellence from his unit coaches, ie chews their asses.
And yet we keep hiring duds from the Saban tree.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Spot on man. But come on man, "irregardless", you can do better.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did anyone else see what FSU did at the beginning of halftime?

NorveLLLL gathered his team on the sideline and said literally a few words and then every member of the team took his fist and beat it against his chest several times. Every player immediately smiled and appeared completely rejuvenated.
At that moment any thought/wish I had for victory went out of the window. It was apparent that there was a collective commitment associated with the motion by the players.

I realized that we were done because I assumed that Billy was in our locker room telling our guys about what a privilege it is to play college football which he does before every game.
How in the he!! does that motivate guys to play harder?
They take naps at halftime

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I don't know what Saban's "dream job" is or was, but I think when he landed at Alabama he was content to stay there until the end. Perhaps his "drive" is/was to be revered as much as Bear Bryant. Obviously having success was crucial to that, and they pay him and give him whatever he wants, but its obvious that's where he wants to be, and its been a successful marriage for both him and Alabama.

The only Saban assistant that has ever replicated his level of success is Kirby Smart and frankly when Georgia hired him I was very afraid that he would have big success there. He learned the "Saban" process but he also loves UGA having been a former player. I said at the time he might be their Steve Spurrier. My personal belief is you have to have a guy who has some attachment to or investment in and love for the university. What we have had is a string of mercenaries who don't give two craps about UF, it is only about making a name for themselves, proving their ideas, and creating generational wealth. They have no sense of pride of the university on the line, they're getting paid either way. Lose to UGA and FSU? Who cares, we learned a lot of life lessons boys.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I know what it's not.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mother fucher.
Yo Mama GIF by Max

GatorScott

Jan 21, 2019
Spot on man. But come on man, "irregardless", you can do better.
I get what you're saying and agree with you, but I'm also tired of the whole 'Einstein's Definition of Insanity' roller coaster we have been riding since 2010 when we hired Muschump. Every hire has been a risk of someone unknown (i.e. Shark Boy, Napier) or someone without the hard experience and success. We haven't had a home run hire. A "go and pluck a beast" out of a program (i.e. Riley from O.U. and Kelly from N.D.). A proven commodity that's a program changer. I look at the Florida Gator Head Coach hire as an investment. You're investing into today and tomorrow and the future. The old "you have to spend money to make money" mantra. And that's the situation with a proven commodity coach that we'd have to hire from an existing program, even a blueblood prorgram. Instead of these "Vegas gambles" that we bet on every 2.5 years. Long story short....we, as a program, need to commit to the investment into a proven coach that will change our program and lead us not only "back" to our glory days of winning, but lead us into a new era where we're one of the dominant programs year in and year out that's feared when we're on someone's schedule.

GatorScott

Jan 21, 2019
I don't know what Saban's "dream job" is or was, but I think when he landed at Alabama he was content to stay there until the end. Perhaps his "drive" is/was to be revered as much as Bear Bryant. Obviously having success was crucial to that, and they pay him and give him whatever he wants, but its obvious that's where he wants to be, and its been a successful marriage for both him and Alabama.

The only Saban assistant that has ever replicated his level of success is Kirby Smart and frankly when Georgia hired him I was very afraid that he would have big success there. He learned the "Saban" process but he also loves UGA having been a former player. I said at the time he might be their Steve Spurrier. My personal belief is you have to have a guy who has some attachment to or investment in and love for the university. What we have had is a string of mercenaries who don't give two craps about UF, it is only about making a name for themselves, proving their ideas, and creating generational wealth. They have no sense of pride of the university on the line, they're getting paid either way. Lose to UGA and FSU? Who cares, we learned a lot of life lessons boys.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I know what it's not.
Bingo. Spurrier's hate for UGLY was due to him losing to them his Heisman Trophy winning season. Detested them. And he made it personal every year he coached against them and I think his record while at UF was 11-1 against them. Well, true story...childhood friend of mine from high school (we grew up 45 min from Athens) had a younger brother who was a manager for UGLY (held the headset cord behind Ray Goff and Jim Donnan) and he told me recently that his brother told him that Kirby hated the Gators as a player because he was 1-4 against us so no doubt Kirby treats the Florida v. UGLY game as a personal revenge game. He bleeds red and black and can't do anything but respect that. So yeah, that's what I wish he had at UF because we had it ten fold with Spurrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator