It's time to officially fire up the head coaching search. Who you got?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Fellas, before someone else quits the board, this thread was obviously started so we could talk about the state of the program. Even I'm not dumb enough to think Mullen's job is in jeopardy. As a matter of fact, I'd be shocked if he didn't get an extension. Strickin thinks the world of him, and the idea of Stricklin having to actually do some work with another coaching search does not sit well. Also, the AD and the upper staff are just fine winning 8 to 10 games a year. They don't think like the Bama brass. They don't give a **** about titles, they really don't. The bills are getting paid, that's what matters.

So, since we're stuck with Mullen, what changes are we going to see? People are hoping for some staff changes, but I just don't see it. Nothing major, anyway. What about recruiting? Can we get some of the bag men to come up with some bigger payouts and purses? If that's what it's going to take, that's what we'll have to do.

However, outside of landing a Heisman QB, our Gators simply do not have the look of team that is going to win titles anytime soon, and every bad recruiting class only knocks that back years.

I'm just venting. I'll keep watching and rooting, but the expectations need to be permanently lowered. Thanks Foley.

Like I said before, we have now officially returned to the pre-SOS Gator Standard that Mullen preaches constantly, one where wins against UGA will be very rare, and we manage to play well enough to get into bowls like the Outback, Citrus, or Gator and nothing more.

Atlgator98

Nov 2, 2019
Hang out, dude.

You will like it here.

Bring your sarcasm and big boy pants though. Sports bar atmosphere they say. And we are all drunk by now.
I’ll probably hang out. I do like it here. I too am lit up from 7 pours of bourbon. I’ve been reading the literature here for several months. My pants are triple A rated big boy britches. But you especially, and several others here, are wildly unrealistic in how we get Gator Football back to elite. Exercise a little patience. Realize out HBC is legit. And enjoy the fact that we're playing in games that matter.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
We lost to Ugly. Again. It sux. For those of us who live in Ga. it particularly sux as we have to put up with the abuse from these in breds for another year. My SIL came over for the game and tried to cheer me up after by saying “We’ll crush them in the SEC CG” (she’s a Bama grad) and so naturally I tried to snap her head off. Fortunately I have a lot of credit with her and she let it go (and now we’re drinking together as she and Mrs G talk - and we’re about to switch to bourbon so truly all is forgiven.) I tell you all this so you all can see from where I am coming - and yes I am currently somewhat impaired. In my worthless opinion CDM was absolutely the right hire and is still the right coach to run the program. The end of the CUM era, combined with the disasters that were the Chimp and Butters reigns, and when you mix in the ignorance that was Fooley, we were left where we are YEARS away from competing for titles. YEARS. When you take a dispassionate look at the roster he inherited, CDM has overachieved. Yes recruiting MUST improve, but really what can any HC at UF sell to recruits right now? (Feel free to insert a joke about ceiling tiles and carpet squares here.). Our facilities and housing are substandard, our cost of attendance payout is lower than our rivals and we aren’t truly in the title hunt. CDM is not an elite recruiter, but I’m not sure it would matter if he were. Yes, he needs to get rid of some of his assistants; yes Grantham is more than likely not the answer; but CDM is a very good HC and I’m not giving up on him in less than two seasons. He has fixed much of what was wrong and he had much left to fix. I will never “trust the coaches” again (twice burned, once shy), but I am willing to be patient. I believe we were that broken. I also know we are a spoiled fan base; between SOS and CUM we won a lot of hardware. That is the standard and until CDM can equal that he will be viewed as “unsuccessful.” However, I also am convinced, for the reasons stated, it ain’t happening overnight. In summation, the concept of firing CDM is ridiculous and asinine and quite frankly not worthy of even a GCMB thread (and that’s saying something). I know many will disagree with me; I ask only that with the inevitable negative ratings you include who we should now ( or should have two years ago) hire instead. And what the hypothetical coach should do to improve recruiting. And how long will you give him to become “successful.” I’m out.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
paragraph
[ˈperəˌɡraf]
NOUN
  1. a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully urbs doesn't take a job this off season. Would we part ways with Mullen next year if we miss Atlanta again and urban's available? We've done it before.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
If he can't beat Georgia he will be fired eventually, no matter what the AD thinks.

It's not hot yet but Mullen's seat ticked up a few degrees today.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We lost to Ugly. Again. It sux. For those of us who live in Ga. it particularly sux as we have to put up with the abuse from these in breds for another year. My SIL came over for the game and tried to cheer me up after by saying “We’ll crush them in the SEC CG” (she’s a Bama grad) and so naturally I tried to snap her head off. Fortunately I have a lot of credit with her and she let it go (and now we’re drinking together as she and Mrs G talk - and we’re about to switch to bourbon so truly all is forgiven.) I tell you all this so you all can see from where I am coming - and yes I am currently somewhat impaired. In my worthless opinion CDM was absolutely the right hire and is still the right coach to run the program. The end of the CUM era, combined with the disasters that were the Chimp and Butters reigns, and when you mix in the ignorance that was Fooley, we were left where we are YEARS away from competing for titles. YEARS. When you take a dispassionate look at the roster he inherited, CDM has overachieved. Yes recruiting MUST improve, but really what can any HC at UF sell to recruits right now? (Feel free to insert a joke about ceiling tiles and carpet squares here.). Our facilities and housing are substandard, our cost of attendance payout is lower than our rivals and we aren’t truly in the title hunt. CDM is not an elite recruiter, but I’m not sure it would matter if he were. Yes, he needs to get rid of some of his assistants; yes Grantham is more than likely not the answer; but CDM is a very good HC and I’m not giving up on him in less than two seasons. He has fixed much of what was wrong and he had much left to fix. I will never “trust the coaches” again (twice burned, once shy), but I am willing to be patient. I believe we were that broken. I also know we are a spoiled fan base; between SOS and CUM we won a lot of hardware. That is the standard and until CDM can equal that he will be viewed as “unsuccessful.” However, I also am convinced, for the reasons stated, it ain’t happening overnight. In summation, the concept of firing CDM is ridiculous and asinine and quite frankly not worthy of even a GCMB thread (and that’s saying something). I know many will disagree with me; I ask only that with the inevitable negative ratings you include who we should now ( or should have two years ago) hire instead. And what the hypothetical coach should do to improve recruiting. And how long will you give him to become “successful.” I’m out.

JFC, GBM that bourbon seems to have had a "sobering" effect on you, LOL. I grew up in KY and even the smoothest of bourbons never did that to me, LOL. Good post with a possible Pulitzer if you keep imbibing that Bourbon.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Urbs is number1 on the list. Pj fleck is probably number 2 on the list. Not many guys I can think of that I'll be watching out for in the next 2 years. We're probably stuck with what we have until something better comes along.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think you need to come down from the Witches Watch.....btw Bert is calling the Patriots defense and is killing it .

Crete, I love you man but saying anyone but Belichik is calling the Patriots D is akin to saying that Saban is not running Bama's D or Smart is not running UGA's D. It is known than Belichik has taken over the D this year. Not saying Bert is helping, but running it, no f'ing way.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
For you:

Woodford Reserve, Double Oaked Single Barrel? Many thanx :fistbump:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Dan bringing in Jones on 2nd and 10 after Trask rolled us down the field us unbelievably stupid. Everyone in the world knew what was coming, just didn’t know which side. Problem with that - WE NEEDED 10 YARDS!

More proof that "can't coach Kirby" out-coached the 'un-out-coachable' Dan Mullen.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I like your posts and I am asking in all seriousness, I only remember one incomplete pass that they ruled a completion. Yes a bad call but you can't control that. Their RB #35 made a sensational catch if that is the other one? As far as them "taking" a 1st down from us, the replay showed that Perine was a bit short so they corrected it? Isn't that what you want, the calls to be correct? I thought the officiating was about as decent as can be hoped for in this day ecxept for the missed overturn on that no catch by UGA's #15. I am sure UGA is lamenting a holding call and/or a PI call is well.

I disagree with you on the officiating...it sucked and it seemed to favor UGA. Their defensive linemen were lined up offsides several times but flagged for it only once if memory serves me correctly. I saw our receivers get mugged several times with no call. One time was late in the 4th quarter either 1 or 2 plays before they were hit with a P.I. call. The sensational catch looked to me like the ground was used to make the catch. Then there was the B.S. catch call you referenced above late in the 2nd quarter that gave them a T.D. a play or two later. There were more but all in all, it was pretty bad.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
A lot of freaking out over Mullen here which is expected after a loss, but this game comes down to the other team having more talent than we do. Could we have done better and won? Absolutely. But the difference was in the talent, we have to start paying players like Bama and UGA or we will always be second fiddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.