Jags release Tim Tebow; haters rejoice

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
People forget how amazing Tebow's one partial year as a staring NFL QB was, and it reached a peak with that pass to Thomas in the playoffs. Not because he played particularly good football that year. He didn't. But because he willed the team to so many 4th Q/OT improbable wins it was clear there was something so special about the guy and a whole segment of country that had missed his miraculous play in college were witnessing Tebow Time.

There was a day I was listening to local sports radio on a Monday after Tebow lead the Broncos to an overtime road win against the chargers. The host was telling the story of how he had gone to the game for his job, didn't know that much about Tebow other than he was over-hyped, always in the media, and had lead several improbable comebacks in his young NFL career. He said he watched as Tebow played sloppily most of the game and it was a low scoring affair with Denver behind in the 4th Q. Tebow came alive in the end of the 3rd and the 4th Q and lead to the tying score. Then in OT Denver got the ball back and you could feel the excitement as Tebow lead them down the field for the winning FG in OT. He said in the 4th Q and OT you could feel a lot of the home crowd actually routing for Tebow, not necessarily for the Broncos. They all knew he had this reputation for 4th Q improbable victories and realized they were getting the chance to witness it personally, even though it was against their own team. He said you just couldn't help but feel the excitement and that he now understood what Tebow time was all about. He didn't think he was a particularly good QB, but the will to win and excitement of the comeback was something he had never experienced before.

The fact that that he got black-balled and career ruined, particularly by that fat mammal-toe wearing toe-sucking sh*thead Jets coach pissed me off. Not because Tebow was likely to ever be a SB winning QB, but because it was the best drama and best TV in the otherwise boring NFL in forever and we only got 1 damn partial season of it.
I was at that game. The chants of "Te-bow sucks!" were pretty loud in the first half. Many of those same people were laughing and cheering for him in the 4th quarter.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There are multiple facets to Tim Tebow ... and they all reflect Goodness - especially the Goodness of Christian living. Now that is something we all can do better within our own spheres, which each person defines. I have never seen one human celebrity better than Tim at living true and never letting people of good dreams down. The negativity against Tim is just fan-fanatic bluster. Even atheists believe in Tim. :confused:

Never forget what stays #1 in Tim's heart & soul. All other devotions took a backseat to his "Lord and Saviour". For sure the sports angles he will drop, but he'll never end being a total support for his fellow travelers. Always remember the needy children that Tim never forgets. I know for myself that I religiously wish for more Tim Tebows - especially at QB. :cool:

We all should ignore all those fanatic put-downs vs Tim while being gently understanding and thoroughly forgiving.....
All those people gonna burn in Hell in the end anyway. :rolleyes:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
They hate him b/c when they are reminded of him, they are reminded of how small and sad they are in comparison.

Not to get too philosophical or religious, but Tebow is a modern day type of Christ. Most hated Christ simply because his existence forced them to reckon with their own sin and depravity. It is the same with Tim.
They hate Timmy's behavior because he comes to his Savior like a child, without guile. From reading about his actions on and off the field, I truly believe this man knows Christ and only has one goal in this life: to hear his Redeemer say "Well done good and faithful servant." Some will criticize him for using his notoriety to seek funds for the charities he supports. Can't fault him for that. Even Paul urged followers to contribute to ease the plight of Christians in Jerusalem.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
They hate Timmy's behavior because he comes to his Savior like a child, without guile. From reading about his actions on and off the field, I truly believe this man knows Christ and only has one goal in this life: to hear his Redeemer say "Well done good and faithful servant." Some will criticize him for using his notoriety to seek funds for the charities he supports. Can't fault him for that. Even Paul urged followers to contribute to ease the plight of Christians in Jerusalem.

THIS :harvey2:

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Last pics from Camp Underpants before the ladies strapped on their sanitary pads.

GTY-1320362696.jpg

AP-Jaguars-Football-1.jpg

GTY-1320362707.jpg

AP-Jaguars-Football-2.jpg

USATSI_16156807.jpg

USATSI_16156991.jpg

GTY-1320363569.jpg

GTY-1320362690-1.jpg

USP-NFL_-Jacksonville-Jaguars-OTA-e1625170313581.jpg

15ab35eb7eae42baa669e72d1ca10d60.jpg

GTY-1320362633.jpg

He's a BEAST

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Last pics from Camp Underpants before the ladies strapped on their sanitary pads.

GTY-1320362696.jpg

AP-Jaguars-Football-1.jpg

GTY-1320362707.jpg

AP-Jaguars-Football-2.jpg

USATSI_16156807.jpg

USATSI_16156991.jpg

GTY-1320363569.jpg

GTY-1320362690-1.jpg

USP-NFL_-Jacksonville-Jaguars-OTA-e1625170313581.jpg

15ab35eb7eae42baa669e72d1ca10d60.jpg

GTY-1320362633.jpg

And if they can't find a spot for him for several years...What's that say?

He can play multiple positions: TE, QB, Holder, FB, Blocking Back. He will never be an off field issue, he's prepared...always goes the extra mile and is "Cheap"

On top of that he's a Fan Draw.

Last edited:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
When Tim opened that playoff game against the Pats with a touchdown drive, I never dreamed the end of his career was for all intents and purposes 45 minutes away. Even after the Pats ate his lunch the rest of the day, I knew there would be plenty of better days ahead. He was totally blackballed.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bold training camp predictions for all 32 teams: Surprise cuts, trades and rookies who will play early

i

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tim Tebow will make the roster as a tight end.

Tebow had the second-most catches of any tight end in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 during the first four days of camp. His seven receptions trail only Ben Ellefson (nine). A couple caveats: James O'Shaughnessy missed time with an ankle injury, and the defense was not allowed to play press coverage or go after throws. Still, the 33-year-old Tebow -- who last played in a regular-season NFL game in 2012 -- hasn't had a drop, and it shows that he has a good grasp of the offense. He just needs to hold his own as a blocker once the pads go on and he'll make the 53-man roster. -- Michael DiRocco

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Put me down for agreeing that Tebow WILL make the roster, but I'm basing it on this ESPN article I read today where UM is adamantly insisting that his cuts will be made strictly on the basis of objective analysis and numbers.

I believe the purpose of everything he says in this whole article is mainly to preemptively justify Tebow making the team.

Urban Meyer to use Winners and Losers drill to help determine Jacksonville Jaguars' cuts

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Tim Tebow lined up against Chris Manhertz, and the two players went at it one-on-one in a special teams blocking drill at the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice on Wednesday.

Manhertz won the matchup, and immediately "Winner, Manhertz" was broadcast over the loudspeaker. The two went at it three more times, and the final tally was 2-2 -- and each time the winner's name was announced.

That happened throughout the practice with various one-on-one drills, and while it's part of coach Urban Meyer's plan to create a competitive atmosphere, keeping track of the winners and losers also is going to be a significant part of how he and his staff make roster decisions.

Win more of those matchups than you lose, and do so in whatever other competitions the Jaguars will track throughout the rest of camp, and you'll have a much better chance of making the team.

"A big roster's going to go to a smaller roster, and I think to be fair to players -- we all have so much respect [and] this is a way guys make a living -- I don't believe in subjectivity," Meyer said. "I believe in, what's your record? Every man's got a record. What is it? You are what your record [is]. If you lose a lot but you have a lot of potential, that's not real good.

"Just over the course of my career, I can give you example after example [of players who] maybe they're a little slow, but they just never lose."

Meyer first started what he calls Winners and Losers during his second season at Florida in 2006, a season that ended with the Gators routing Ohio State to win the BCS national title. Two years later, the Gators won it again, and Meyer took the approach with him to Ohio State 2012. Two years later, the Buckeyes won the national title. When he made his move to the NFL this past January, he decided to continue to do it, though the stakes of the one-on-one competitions could be higher with the Jaguars than they were with the Gators and Buckeyes because Meyer didn't have to cut his roster almost in half in college.

He used the results to determine starters and playing time in college, but now, when he and the staff pull out the sheets of results, he'll be using them to decide who gets to stay. If there's two players on the bubble for the same spot, the player who won more is likely going to get it.

"Well, I haven't done that before [used it to determine cuts]. This is going to be the first [time]," Meyer said. "But I've had to make decisions on who starts, and it's not fair to players to say, Well, I'm starting [you] because I like you, or because you're from Ohio. It's just: Here's the stats. They say statistics are for losers, and my comment is usually losers say statistics are for losers.

"So you've got a record. What's your record? How's it going? I just think that's a complete mentality. That Tom Brady guy, his record's really good. You move him to the Buccaneers, it's really good. New England Patriots, really good."
"There's one way to do it and that's scrimmage forever, and you can't do that," Meyer said. "But you can create scenarios where it's one-on-one and then everybody's got a score. What's your record?"

Now, listen. If you "create scenarios where it's one-on-one," and then you put Tim Tebow in those scenarios, we here ALL KNOW what is going to happen, more often than not.

It says in the article that they put Tebow in a one-on-one drill with TE Chris Manhertz, who is three inches taller than Tebow but is listed at the same weight as him (currently 255, which seems a little high for Tebow, but that's what it says).

So they went at it a total of four times, and Manhertz won the first one, but it ended up in a 2-2 tie.

We don't know how the other four went, right? Yeah, sure. Who are we kidding? We know exactly how it went. Manhertz won the second one too, but that was all it took. Tebow figured him out and beat him on the last two. And will beat him more often than not from now on.

That's Tebow. Like Meyer says, he can, "give you example after example [of players who] maybe they're a little slow, but they just never lose." That whole spiel was given with one player in mind.

Tebow is going to make the team and Meyer is going to justify it by his better-than-50%-average of winning one-on-one matchups that were announced over the loudspeaker for everyone to hear. BOOK IT.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Jags play first preseason game tonight and I'm setting over /under on Tebow catches at 1.
I say he gets two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator