Jim McElwain expected to accept Florida head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n123963 said:
Not sure what you mean by "except". I clearly state JM turned the program around, but he has done it by beating up losing teams. None of his wins in 2013 were against winners. Only 3 of his wins in 2014 were against winners. More importantly, 3 of his 6 losses in 2013 were to teams with non-winning or losing records. He has never won his conference.

I'm not looking for a coach that can beat the perennial losers and also-rans of the SEC like Vandy, Kentucky, or Tenn. I want a coach that can beat the teams that stand in the way of winning SEC championships.

Doug Dickey won multiple SEC championships at Tenn before coming to UF. Charley Pell won an ACC championship at Clemson. Steve Spurrier won one as well. Urban Meyer finished at the top of the MWC both years. If Jmac is hired, he may indeed win championships, but I'm curious as to what in his HBC resume attracted Foley to him in the first place. It certainly wasn't head coaching teams to championships.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but please show me where in anything I posted you see a head ball coach deserving to coach the UF Fighting Gators in the SEC, let alone paying a multi-million dollar buyout.

Who is your pick?

And please don't say Harbaugh, Kelly or Stoops. Besides 3 NFL guys and the 16 year tenured Stoops, who do you pick? Who do you see coming?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n123893 said:
I can tell you it's not our success in gymnastics and volleyball that gets my D hard when watching them. Only good football can do that and Mr Foley has had me limp for far too long now.

Hot female gymnasts make you limp???????

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123977 said:
When we were winning I had no issues. Even after Muschamp got hired i kept quite. This is the only season that I have complained. I thought that we were going to get stoops or someone of his caliber. Then I settled on Freeze. But it looks like Foley bugled that. Now he is in the process of bungling this guy who I dont even like. Its not negative its the facts. I appreciate the stuff he has done in the past but this business you have to stay relevant. Why hasnt an indoor practice facility been built? That is becoming the standard now. Why are we in the lower tier of facilites? Why does Foley seem like he is so cheap and stuck on not paying someone more. The whole Freeze deal. If you know your competitor is paying 4MM, why would you offer 4.3MM if reports are to be believed? Just offer 4.8 or 5MM. Just because I am critical of Foley's mistakes does not mean I dont love the Gators. You want to have rose colored glasses on. Thats fine. But I'm a realist and even the national media is writing about how bad this is.

Screw the media. Since when have the majority of them been for us? They live to tear people down.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n123972 said:
LOL...forgot all about him. I was playing music at Intermission when he came in "allegedly" asking the bartenders where the hookers were. What a tool he was. Yes Bama was no star on the coach hiring circuit between Stallings and Saban.

Wait...you from Pensacola? I know it well.

You were playing music at the bar??? Babes or Big Daddy's or whichever one it was.?.?.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The way some of you talk, Foley could hire Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's and you guys would spin it as a "great" hire then probably spit out a visual aid pointing to his all-sports trophies. The guy is coming off a horrific football hire that he kept on a year too long. It's okay to question the guy at this point.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Original DC;n123953 said:
For the love of.... This is getting almost as bad as Gatorsports with some of you. :surrender:

What is Gatorsports ? Did I say anything bad or that may be untrue ? I'm a Gator fan but sometimes you have to call things as you see them. I think Foley has done great things at UF, but maybe he's starting to lose it a little.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line, the last two football hires Foley has made have reeked of ass. He had zilch to do with Urban. Maybe Bernie or the new President should get involved, and in rather short order, to prevent this cluster**** from becoming more embarrassing.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
T REX;n123999 said:
The way some of you talk, Foley could hire Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's and you guys would spin it as a "great" hire then probably spit out a visual aid pointing to his all-sports trophies. The guy is coming off a horrific football hire that he kept on a year too long. It's okay to question the guy at this point.
Contrary what anyone believes he is human and he makes mistakes and he is not above his deserved criticism

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In Robbie's article (yes i know and I'm sorry for bringing him up), he states that McElwain, his lawyer, and CSU president were negotiating buyout. To me, it seems like Law's statement about contract law may be valid. The buyout could be beyond the scope of whatever he muttered. So I would expect the buyout to come down significantly to avoid litigation by McElwain against CSU. Imagine the PR nightmare for CSU at that point. It sounds like JF said I'll do X, you guys figure out the rest.

No way McElwain would go to UM or UN if he can avoid it. If they are willing to pay the buyout, he may have to go that route tho

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123977 said:
..... You want to have rose colored glasses on. Thats fine. But I'm a realist and even the national media is writing about how bad this is.

Just because someone found a negative article and posted it, please don't act like ALL THE NATIONAL MEDIA is now mocking us. No two ways about it, you are definitely a glass half empty kinda fella.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n124003 said:
Yes lets blame the media for this mess and not Foley. You can only be torn down if you are weak. Why arent they tearing down good programs?

So, now we're not a "good program?" Right,..sure,..uh huh. I have no problem with questioning, but at this point decisions have long since been made that can't be undone. The WM extension was, obviously, a gamble that didn't pan out. As Foley says, he's just trying to do a job. We have to pick a coach from who is available. Despite his past selections, I'm sure he knows more about how to do this than any of the rest of us.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n124009 said:
Bottom line, the last two football hires Foley has made have reeked of ass. He had zilch to do with Urban. Maybe Bernie or the new President should get involved, and in rather short order, to prevent this cluster**** from becoming more embarrassing.

Oh Gawd! Not this crap again. If you dialed up Machen on the phone, he'd tell you what he's already said before, but people just ignore it as an inconvienient truth because it doesn't fit their narrative... The Prez had VERY LITTLE to do with Urban's hire, while Foley had EVERYTHING to do with landing Urbs. Machen is on record with this but don't let the truth get in the way of repeating the same ignorant mantra.

I get it. JF gets all of the blame when it goes wrong and none of the credit when it goes right. Perfectly reasonable. :thumbup:

Gotta love Gator fans.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatoravatara;n123990 said:
Good coaches overcome injuries. Rember when Gurley was taken out. Georgia kept on rolling until they hit us. But they did not collapse. Arky was playing with a really wounded QB but still was very competetive. It wasnt the injuries, it was our offense.

Read my post again.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
alcoholica;n124020 said:
No way McElwain would go to UM or UN if he can avoid it.
Not sure I understand you there. It's not like he would be going to the minor leagues or something by choosing to go to UM or NU. They have more football tradition, bigger stadiums and better facilities than UF.....Oh, and I bet their AD's won't come in cheap because of a buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator