Jimmy Buffett Dead at 76

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Wow. This one really hurts. You couldn't live your life in Florida without all of his places and boats and characters living in your head rent free.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry to see this. We are getting old.

When I was much younger in my early teens, I remember my mother speaking of this.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The music of my youth. Buffett and Gatorville were like two big buds. What a sad day.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Big part of my Florida upbringing-
I saw him in concert a few times and listened to all of his music up until the late 80’s.
Oddly enough I couldn’t tell you anything about his music after that.

I also found it interesting that he was widely popular and yet the radio stations rarely played anything other than the Magaritaville/Cheeseburger in Paradise/Come Monday rotation. Dude had an incredible catalog of great music.

My top three

And this version of Livingston’s Gone to Texas

RIP James William Buffett

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
For my wife and I, Tin Cup Chalice is our song. I hope Jimmy died “beside the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice.”

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020

I was listening to the BBBB box set one day when I was going through the stuff in my parents' house after they died less than a year apart. I opened an old valentine candy box I found in their bedroom. It was all the letters my dad wrote to my mom when they were dating. I was alone. All of my pain and grief poured out. I screamed. I broke things. I played this song over and over and over. It will forever remind me of that day. Then "Changing Channels" got stuck in my head the same way when I found Dad's flight log and snapshots from his time in Palawan during WW2. Buffett's music means a heck of a lot more to me than just getting drunk on the beach. NTTAWWT.

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

I was listening to the BBBB box set one day when I was going through the stuff in my parents' house after they died less than a year apart. I opened an old valentine candy box I found in their bedroom. It was all the letters my dad wrote to my mom when they were dating. I was alone. All of my pain and grief poured out. I screamed. I broke things. I played this song over and over and over. It will forever remind me of that day.

Great song

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trivia note. Buffett and Shane Matthews both had histories in Pascagoula, MS. Buffett was born there and Matthew's attended high school.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Grew up in California..first night during Rush Week saw a House with a “Buffett Night“ poster. All I ever listened to growing up was Journey, Foreigner, Boston, Queen and STYX. (Thankfully by then Disco was dead). Thought it was party of endless food tables so in I went. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to eat my first fresh shucked oysters and cold draft beer, and be introduced to the Jimmy Buffett life, which never left me after that. When I took my new found love for Jimmy back to Cali that Christmas I converted even more fans. RIP Jimmy..you brought a lot of pleasure to millions of people.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Grew up in California..first night during Rush Week saw a House with a “Buffett Night“ poster. All I ever listened to growing up was Journey, Foreigner, Boston, Queen and STYX. (Thankfully by then Disco was dead). Thought it was party of endless food tables so in I went. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to eat my first fresh shucked oysters and cold draft beer, and be introduced to the Jimmy Buffett life, which never left me after that. When I took my new found love for Jimmy back to Cali that Christmas I converted even more fans. RIP Jimmy..you brought a lot of pleasure to millions of people.

So… did you end up joining?

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
So… did you end up joining?

Yes I actually did! Checked out some others and got several bids but in the end that first place was the perfect fit. Still get together with many of those brothers today over 40 years later. Our text chains are very sad this morning..

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think for a lot of fans, Jimmy Buffett was a welcomed escape from life's stresses and complications. His music was all about relaxing, laughing and having a good time.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
This one hurts. His outdoor concerts were legendary. Just the vibe some of his better ones could help put you in a good mood.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yes I actually did! Checked out some others and got several bids but in the end that first place was the perfect fit. Still get together with many of those brothers today over 40 years later. Our text chains are very sad this morning..

We may have been at UF around the same time - ‘82- ‘86 for me. I could have sworn that we also had a Buffett night at my frat. But back then- I’m sure several frats did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator