Jimmy Buffett Dead at 76

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
A friend of mine I have not seen in 25+ years was one of Buffet's best friends growing up in Mobile AL. Tim...my friend who I recently learned passed away back in June of this year....used to have Jimmy come over and stay with him anytime he was up in this area(Pensacola/Mobile/etc). Tim owned a trucking company and along with it, a nice 46' Bertam that he seemed to live aboard during billfish season. Tim used to take Jimmy fishing anytime he was up here as well and I was invited numerous times to go along....always tied up and never got to take advantage of those offers. I always thought back then "I'll have plenty of chances later and will go with them then". Someday never seems to come, but you live and learn. And regret. Should have gone every chance I had. I can only imagine how those overnight trips in the Gulf would have been. The stories I would be telling you folks now....if only I had gone!

**Cringe**

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Buffet was one of the wealthiest musical artists out there as well. He parlayed that music into so many other things....I read his net worth is around $1 Billion. With money flowing like it does now in music, that might not seem like a really huge amount and you would expect to find plenty of them worth that much and more but that's not the case. Net worth of a billion is a rare level even in the music business. Not that many to reach that lofty status. You can just about count the true billionaire musicians on one hand---a lot of others close(in the upper hundreds of millions-still ain't bad) but considering only 5 or 6 artists are in the B club, with McCartney being in that group along with mostly rappers......Jimmy did quite well for a barefoot small town beach bum musician.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Buffet was one of the wealthiest musical artists out there as well. He parlayed that music into so many other things....I read his net worth is around $1 Billion. With money flowing like it does now in music, that might not seem like a really huge amount and you would expect to find plenty of them worth that much and more but that's not the case. Net worth of a billion is a rare level even in the music business. Not that many to reach that lofty status. You can just about count the true billionaire musicians on one hand---a lot of others close(in the upper hundreds of millions-still ain't bad) but considering only 5 or 6 artists are in the B club, with McCartney being in that group along with mostly rappers......Jimmy did quite well for a barefoot small town beach bum musician.
Yeah, I think that $1B isn't correct (but could be). I heard his cut of the Margaritaville branding was $180M, and I think people have run with the entire worth of the brand, not his cut.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Big democratic donor too
Fortunately it didn’t bleed into his music

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, I think that $1B isn't correct (but could be). I heard his cut of the Margaritaville branding was $180M, and I think people have run with the entire worth of the brand, not his cut.
I had read where he was and your post got me curious. Apparently--by these measuring sticks--he is indeed up there. Sure enough, rappers are scattered in there, but Jimmy is listed as #6 at $1 billion. Everyone below him is under a billion. (to even be on this list means you're doing fine, but Jimmy was in somewhat rare-air). What surprised me is Herb Alpert. I remember him and his horn from way back yonder, long time ago--I had no idea he had built his holdings so well.

RankMusicianNet WorthAgeNationality
1Jay-Z$2.5 Billion53 yearsAmerican
2Rihanna$1.4 Billion34 yearsAmerican
3Andrew Lloyd Webber$1.3 Billion74 yearsEnglish
4Paul McCartney$1.2 Billion80 yearsEnglish
5P. Diddy$1 Billion53 yearsAmerican
6Jimmy Buffet$1 Billion72 yearsAmerican
7Dr Dre$950 Million58 yearsAmerican
8Herb Alpert$900 Million87 yearsAmerican
9Madonna$ 850 Million64 yearsAmerican
10Bono$800 Million62 yearsIrish
11Celine Dion$800 Million54 yearsCanadian

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
It has been a bad year for Rock N Roll. I guess, our Lord needed some good music. Rossington, Beck, Crosby, Miesner, Tina, Lightfoot and now Buffett. Jimmy always said he was nobody from nowhere. But now he is somebody in Rock N. Roll Heaven, hopefully sippin' on that frozen concoction. Rest In Peace.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
It has been a bad year for Rock N Roll. I guess, our Lord needed some good music. Rossington, Beck, Crosby, Miesner, Tina, Lightfoot and now Buffett. Jimmy always said he was nobody from nowhere. But now he is somebody in Rock N. Roll Heaven, hopefully sippin' on that frozen concoction. Rest In Peace.
Add to that 2 who passed in 2022(there are surely more I just can't think of)....Christie McVie of Fleetwood Mac and Gary Brooker of Procol Harum. These 2 were absolutely top top level giants.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The obituary on the Come Monday singer's website indicates he died of Merkel Cell cancer, a disease he had been fighting for four years.

According to the Mayo Clinic, it is a 'rare type of skin cancer that usually appears as a flesh-colored or bluish-red nodule, often on your face, head or neck.' It most often affects older people.

Buffett had been fighting the disease for four years before his death Friday at age 76 at his home in Sag Harbor, on New York's Long Island.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I always liked his music, only saw him once in concert. One of the best seats I've ever had. Solo acoustic show in 1985, I was 2nd or 3rd row center at Daytona's Ocean Center which was only a cpl years old. He had a living room stage set, sort of like All in the Family. He used a KFC bucket for a lamp shade, and used a rack stereo cabinet to imitate the band on a few songs using a backtrack. He had a tall bag of popcorn and after a few bites he passed it down to us in the seats. It was a great show. I only wish I had seen him again.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I always liked his music, only saw him once in concert. One of the best seats I've ever had. Solo acoustic show in 1985, I was 2nd or 3rd row center at Daytona's Ocean Center which was only a cpl years old. He had a living room stage set, sort of like All in the Family. He used a KFC bucket for a lamp shade, and used a rack stereo cabinet to imitate the band on a few songs using a backtrack. He had a tall bag of popcorn and after a few bites he passed it down to us in the seats. It was a great show. I only wish I had seen him again.

Yes! We saw the same show in Orlando.
There was a stereo in the corner and Copa Cabana started playing on the record player. Buffett runs across the “living room” yanks the off the record and smashes it- then just breaks into his first song. Crowd goes wild.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Another great short interview and inside story. We lost a really cool guy with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator