Joe Morgan RIP

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sad, sad day for me. I grew up in that part of the country and the REDS were the nearest team to me, but still over a 4 hour drive away. Be that as it may I was between the ages of like 8-13 when the Big Red Machine was in its heyday and spent many a night listening to Marty Brennamen and Joe Nuxhall on a transistor radio call the games if I was able to pick up WLW out of Cincy. It was hit or miss. RIP Joe.
"This is the ol' left-hander, rounding third and headed for home." - JN

I spent my summers in Louisville and it was Reds on Radio country for sure. The Summer of '77, when Foster was chasing Hack Wilson's NL HR record of 56 (he landed on 52) is imprinted on my mind. Rose's 44-hit streak the following summer as well.

Morgan was, I realize now, such an unlikely MVP candidate, but nobody dominated in all facets of the game at the time than Morgan. Unbelievable master of the strike zone, elite power for 2B, super smart base stealer who specialized in success %, and a Gold Glove 2B. I knew he was great at the time, didn't know how special he was then, when I revered Rose for how he played the game and Foster's black bat and epic power, but he was the reason I loved to play second base.

RIP MVP

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I really liked Freddie Lynn. Yaz too of course. Evans Lynn and Rice was an elite outfield. Fisk.

Always rooted for Boston over the Yankees.

It was a great time to be a baseball fan. Teams actually had a flavor and the players didn't change uniforms every two to three years.

I liked the entire roster of both teams. Just a great era for baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.