Joey Gatewood transfers to Kentucky; Mullen reportedly outraged

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Because we are about 6-7 scholarships light maybe??
I don't have any problems with transfers. I'd just rather see us take some big uglies or even linebackers. I'm sure the coaches are gonna try their hardest to keep EJ happy. Adding a qb probably wouldn't help.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully he wont back peddle.

From Urban Dictionary for reference.....

Tater
One who is a fan of the Clemson Tigers. Originally an agricultural school, "tater" has become a nickname for anyone who goes to the school or supports its team.
Carolina Fan: "Did you see them damn taters in town today?"
Carolina fan 2: "Yep, they were missing their front teeth."

Don't leave out the UT regurgitaters this end of the season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Come on, Itraz. You can make up any BS you want these days and get an exception to having to sit out a year - we've seen it multiple times already. All Gatewood has to do is claim he was mistreated in some fashion or that he wasn't giving the starting job for illegitimate reasons.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Come on, Itraz. You can make up any BS you want these days and get an exception to having to sit out a year - we've seen it multiple times already. All Gatewood has to do is claim he was mistreated in some fashion or that he wasn't giving the starting job for illegitimate reasons.
:lmao2: When it that dwag we landed eligible?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Big time receuits arent looking to redshirt. they might be willing to redshirt but they aren't looking to redshirt.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I haven't watched every Auburn game but surely Gatewood hasn't used up his 4 games? If that's so then can't he technically call this a redshirt year since he's left the program and be eligible next year where ever he lands? Seems that's happened several times already with other transfers.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

Yeah your right he is a red shirt freshman. But given the circumstances and him leaving mid year like this I'd be willing to bet anything he's eligible next year where ever that is as a red shirt soph.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I haven't watched every Auburn game but surely Gatewood hasn't used up his 4 games? If that's so then can't he technically call this a redshirt year since he's left the program and be eligible next year where ever he lands? Seems that's happened several times already with other transfers.

Are you sure about that? I don't think Redshirting and transferring means you qualify to play next year. It only means you won't burn a year of eligibility. Assuming he did not redshirt before which I think he did, he would still need to sit out next year. The only exception is if you're the occasional rare junior who can grad transfer and redshirt at the same time.

EDIT: Confirmed.
"While many college football fans believe the rule allows players to transfer after four games and play elsewhere the following season, this is a common misconception. The NCAA still requires transfers to establish residency at their new school before they are eligible to play.

Which means, if an FBS football player wants to transfer, they must spend two full semesters at their new school before they can compete — unless they transfer to an FCS program, receive a waiver from the NCAA, or are graduating or have already graduated.

And therein lies the loophole for Bryant, who graduated in December 2017. It's essentially up to him whether he wants to stick around for the rest of the season or get a head start at his new program, where he'll be eligible to play in 2019."

https://www.independentmail.com/amp/1435171002

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah your right he is a red shirt freshman. But given the circumstances and him leaving mid year like this I'd be willing to bet anything he's eligible next year where ever that is as a red shirt soph.
No, redshirting a year doesn't keep you from having to sit a year after transferring (absent a waiver for sitting out).

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
His physical talent is alluring. But, he makes Franks look accurate. Gatewood is the definition of spray and pray. I’d like to see what Mullen could do with him. Still, it is pointless as he will transfer to a school he can play. He’d be third string for us next year.

Is it possible that Franks & Trask both go pro next spring?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don;t think they reach out to him personally for the very reason of chemistry etc. I think Cousin Eddie likes EJ enough and he seems to also fit Cousin Eddie's style. He may not be a bruiser but he is pretty strong for his size. I was simply pointing out that Gatewood is a carbon copy of the guy Cousin Eddie had at Cowbell (forgot his name), only a bit more a QB and much more highly regarded coming out of HS.

Agree. Gatewood fits Mullen’s style but is he going to make a change just to sit on the UF bench? We may well need another QB but EJ is the heir apparent.

I get the Gatewood’s & the AU fans’ frustration over this. Gatewood is also Malzahn’s usual type, Nix is a pocket passer. Imagine if Trask wasn’t performing at a high level at key points, but Mullen left EJ and with him his main offensive style on the bench.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Has Greenwood played safety?

WR or safety is his real position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.