Bourbon Trail
Horse country
Kentucky Derby
Patty Loveless
Dwight Yoakam
Louisville Slugger bats
The original Kentucky Fried Chicken

And the best part?
Natives: Bill Monroe, Ricky Skaggs, Sam Bush and the birthplace of Bluegrass music

Gary Stewart
Patty Loveless worth a double mention
Loretta Lynn
Tyler Childers
Chris Knight
Chris Stapleton

And a bunch more

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I'm late the this party - but when did Swamp Donkey return? lol

I'm from Jacksonville - I have a slight "north Florida" southern accent. When I lived in DC people would ask me "where are you from?" When I told them I was from Florida they'd respond, "FLORIDA?" And I'd tell them that Florida is the only state in the south that the farther north you are the further south you are. Lynyrd Skynyrd, the most iconic 'southern rock' band of all time is from Jacksonville. Florida IS a 'southern' state - up north.

I spent the entire fall of last year in the big bend area - that area is as redneck and southern as any state I've ever been to in the south. My dad's side of the family is from east Tennessee, Anderson County area, so I know what 'hay seeds' and hillbilly's look and act like. Go to Perry, Florida and you'll wake up in a time warp and think you're in 1960's Mississippi civil rights era.

I told folks in Wisconsin I was from southern Wisconsin.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Gary Stewart
Patty Loveless worth a double mention
Loretta Lynn
Tyler Childers
Chris Knight
Chris Stapleton

And a bunch more

wow.. great list.

Gary Stewart always struck me as one sad dude.

And Chris Stapleton (probably not a popular comment) ... but he always sounds like he's yelling at me when he sings. :)
I do love his voice in measured amounts...

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
wow.. great list.

Gary Stewart always struck me as one sad dude.

And Chris Stapleton (probably not a popular comment) ... but he always sounds like he's yelling at me when he sings. :)
I do love his voice in measured amounts...

Tom T Hall was a KY boy, too.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Go to Perry, Florida and you'll wake up in a time warp and think you're in 1960's Mississippi civil rights era.

Funny. That's exactly how I describe it to people. "Like a lightening bolt hit the church clock in 1958... and it was never fixed". Goes for every big bend coastal town between Crystal River to Apalachicola: Lecanto/Hernando/Homosassa, Dunnelon, Cedar Key, Cheifland, Perry, Crawfordville, Panacea. Fine to drive through.... but holy shiit.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Funny. That's exactly how I describe it to people. "Like a lightening bolt hit the church clock in 1958... and it was never fixed". Goes for every big bend coastal town between Crystal River to Apalachicola: Lecanto/Hernando/Homosassa, Dunnelon, Cedar Key, Cheifland, Perry, Crawfordville, Panacea. Fine to drive through.... but holy shiit.

Most them places don't cotton to any strangers.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
That's the part of Florida that I really love. Cedar Key is spectacular.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's the part of Florida that I really love. Cedar Key is spectacular.
This surprises nobody.

tumblr_mnrm80y8Aa1ql35ieo1_500.gif

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
This surprises nobody.

tumblr_mnrm80y8Aa1ql35ieo1_500.gif
Very insulting. The Klan, in modern times, was a refuge for the incompetent. The term "trailer trash" is apropos. You have probably never met a Klansman of seen the obscenity of a rally. So keep your slander to yourself, if you please. On the other hand, I am unabashedly Southern. I believe in the federal system of our Founders and state sovereignty over the federal government. The south, before the War, was the bastion of civility and culture for the nation. Please limit your criticisms to facts and not innuendo. Thank you advance for your consideration in this matter.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very insulting. The Klan, in modern times, was a refuge for the incompetent. The term "trailer trash" is apropos. You have probably never met a Klansman of seen the obscenity of a rally. So keep your slander to yourself, if you please. On the other hand, I am unabashedly Southern. I believe in the federal system of our Founders and state sovereignty over the federal government. The south, before the War, was the bastion of civility and culture for the nation. Please limit your criticisms to facts and not innuendo. Thank you advance for your consideration in this matter.

Here's a fact for you: The Klan is current and active in all those coastal communities between Crystal River and Apalachicola.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Here's a fact for you: The Klan is current and active in all those coastal communities between Crystal River and Apalachicola.
And in Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Arizona, New Jersey, Massachusetts, ad infinitum. I certainly don't judge an area by the least desirable of the populace. And if you really want to experience prejudice, talk to a New Mexican of Spanish descent about "indigenous peoples." Or "indigenous peoples" about Spanish colonizers. Or Mohanmmedans about Christians. Or Irish immigrants about "wops" or "kikes." Ignorance and prejudice aren't confined to the big bend area of Florida.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And in Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Arizona, New Jersey, Massachusetts, ad infinitum. I certainly don't judge an area by the least desirable of the populace. And if you really want to experience prejudice, talk to a New Mexican of Spanish descent about "indigenous peoples." Or "indigenous peoples" about Spanish colonizers. Or Mohanmmedans about Christians. Or Irish immigrants about "wops" or "kikes." Ignorance and prejudice aren't confined to the big bend area of Florida.

You certainly make a good point. I think the worst thing someone can do is to lump an entire area, culture, or ethnicity into one category. Worse still would be to demonize such a group as if there could be no redeeming qualities that they could actually possess which might offset the stigma under which they fall. But all this is getting a little off topic here. Let’s get back to what we were discussing before—how all Yankees are terrible.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
You certainly make a good point. I think the worst thing someone can do is to lump an entire area, culture, or ethnicity into one category. Worse still would be to demonize such a group as if there could be no redeeming qualities that they could actually possess which might offset the stigma under which they fall. But all this is getting a little off topic here. Let’s get back to what we were discussing before—how all Yankees are terrible.
But that assessment is fact based and historically accurate. And just for the record, its not all Yankees that are terrible. Just the ones who don't stand for Dixie.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
But that assessment is fact based and historically accurate. And just for the record, its not all Yankees that are terrible. Just the ones who don't stand for Dixie.

What about the true southerners who would stand for Dixie but can’t because they’re morbidly obese and are confined to a government provided scooter because of their self inflicted diabetes? Good people I presume.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
So to basically summarize what y'all are saying, not all racists are racist. AmIright? :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.