Key West

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am born and raised in Florida, but I have never been. But I am finally taking the family there for 4 days this March. Any inside tips and tricks? We definitely like to go "off the beaten tourist path".

One thing that has been on my bucket list forever is Ft Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas National Park. That'll be an entire day trip.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I grew up there...spent 18 years on that 2x4 mile island. Haven't been back since 1991 though. Most of my off the beaten path experience down there involved strip clubs and drinking at the end of the runway just outside the boca chica naval air station.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I am born and raised in Florida, but I have never been. But I am finally taking the family there for 4 days this March. Any inside tips and tricks? We definitely like to go "off the beaten tourist path".

One thing that has been on my bucket list forever is Ft Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas National Park. That'll be an entire day trip.
Bring your nut hugger's and the locals will probably buy you a lot of drinks.....thavage....

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Leave if the cruise ships are there.

I do enjoy Blue Heaven and that area, but not worth it if tons of people.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Take or rent a boat. Fishing is easy and snorkeling is awesome.
Bahia Honda has a pretty cool little beach to spent a few hours on.
Watching the charter fleet come in and unload their catches is pretty fun at Islamorada or Key West.
Go to Big Pine Key about an hour before dark and drive slowly through the neighborhoods to see tons of Key Deer. Don’t waste your time going to the wildlife refuge...the deer are in peoples yards eating the grass.
Herbie’s on Marathon does some awesome fried seafood and used to have the best Key Lime Pie that was made from limes grown in their backyard.
Hamburger on Duval Street in Key West does a helluva breakfast. My fat ass couldn’t eat it all and that just don’t happen! :lol:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

I've got a tip. Don't take the family. The Keys are great but I can't think of a single reason I'd take kids. Hell, if you can arrange it, don't take the wife.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've been dozens of times and always have a good time although in the past 15/20 years or so it's gotten even more touristy. I think the same Russian family owns every t-shirt shop on Duval Street and sell the exact same thing in each cheezy store.

MJM gave some great advice. I agree that it would be advisable to rent a boat if you're not afraid to go a couple miles out with the family to snorkel. Otherwise there are plenty of snorkeling trips you can take. Also, Ft Zachary Taylor in downtown has a small little beach that has some rocks with tropical fish you can see if your kids are smaller.

Unfortunately, Key West is all about the bars so not a lot on Duval for the kids other than some tourist attractions, a small aquarium and Mel Ficher's Museum. And of course there's Mallory Square at the end of Duval where every night there are street performers at sunset.

Too bad you're not taking the fam during Fantasy Fest. It would definitely provide the kids a great education. :grin:

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Hemingway House is my favorite part of the island. The kids will love all the wandering cats.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is really nothing out of the way on Key West.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The water clarity will amaze you as you drive down. Rent a boat and snorkel and fish. Hemingways house is cool. See the penny he embedded in the concrete (he said he spent his last cent blding the gdmm thing) Lots of cats there last time and we were told they were all descendants of his cats.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
The water clarity will amaze you as you drive down. Rent a boat and snorkel and fish. Hemingways house is cool. See the penny he embedded in the concrete (he said he spent his last cent blding the gdmm thing) Lots of cats there last time and we were told they were all descendants of his cats.

I always make sure my drive from Homestead to Key West is in daylight to appreciate the scenery. And the cats are all polydactyl (extra toes) and called “Hemingway” cats because of that peculiarity.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
How old are the kids...Irish Kevin's is always a must.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How old are the kids...Irish Kevin's is always a must.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.