Kids these days will never know….

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes...but Detroit sucks. So all you have to do is line up heading north into town, and much like the St John's River, you get pulled north into the suckage.
Wrong! you line it up heading SW on I-75, towards Toledo, and if you're lucky, the Ohio suck is so strong, it rockets you straight through to Kentucky without stopping!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
First time I explained push starting to my kids my son asked if I was serious.
Same... Son #1 asked if we could go somewhere so he could practice driving with the stick again. It's a '95 Mustang GT, so first gear is tricky for beginners/the non-practiced, and I was talking him through "stall drills" for at traffic lights and when stopped on an uphill incline and how to hold the car with the hand brake and use the pedals as a newbie. Then I thought to talk to him about "push starting" and he said the same exact thing after staring at me for about 3 seconds, "Are you serious?" So we did it... no UFOs/aliens involved.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, push starting, sometimes by yourself was pretty straightforward for a manual tranny. Make sure you are in third and not low. You can also push start an automatic but you have to be going about 35 mph for that to work. So there is this story about a guy who had to get his Desoto automatic push started. Gave the directions to his neighbor and got in the car to steer. Suddenly he was rear ended at, you guessed it, 35 mph.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I remember turning in huge garbage bags of aluminum cans. Whole damn thing reeked of stale beer, but I didn't know any better at that age.

Our middle school did a few paper drives. I hated going house to house gathering old newspapers but we got a boatload of people unloading their old newspapers on us.
They would then weigh how much our school collected versus the rest of the middle schools.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Our middle school did a few paper drives. I hated going house to house gathering old newspapers but we got a boatload of people unloading their old newspapers on us.
They would then weigh how much our school collected versus the rest of the middle schools.

My kids these days do "Penny Wars" in school as a fund raiser. The kind where there is a giant jar for each grade, you add pennies (to add up) to yours and silver coins (to subtract) to your opponents and see who raises the most for whatever the reason is and the winning class gets a pizza party. Where it not for these wars, I'm not sure they would be familiar with coin currency beyond a quarter for the gumball dispensers in the mall or at the grocery store.

On the flipside, the high schools across the area in PA hold annual '(mini) Thon' events throughout the year. Based upon Penn State's 'Thon' for Four Diamonds where college kids are up for about 48h straight, the HS will do an overnight 'stay awake' event every year. Moreover, there are smaller fund raising events throughout the year (staff basketball against a rival school, collection cans at intersections, etc). In my day, we only did fund raising for our own sport for travel or uniforms - kids today are aware of a bigger than that mission of helping others and work towards it all year long. There is an awareness of charity (key, with religion losing attendance) in one's own community, and that raising funds for it can be fun. My kid was one of the top organizers this year as a senior, they broke the record for the overnight event by raising over $20k in that event alone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator