Kids these days will never know….

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

And more than that, when times got tough and we found ourselves looked down upon as an outsider, and publicly humiliated at a WASP’y country club by having a giant bowl of what I can only imagine—based on the clientele—was a poorly crafted tomato sauce and over cooked angel hair, as onlookers laughed, we didn’t cry, look for a safe space or make excuses. No, we chose to suck it up, fight harder, perhaps befriend an old POW drunk to score some free stuff, return to said country club to scoop up the hottest girl there while giving her parents the finger for their condescending tone and shoddy “new money” masonry, and then kick her on-again/off-again boyfriend right in his toolbag face to win it all. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

That’s what we did.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
When I was four, my mother decided to try a new babysitter she knew. When I showed up the first thing she offered me was a glass of carrot juice which I respectfully declined. But she persisted. All day long she continued harping on me about drinking this glass of carrot juice like some kind of raving lunatic. When my mother picked me up, I resolutely told her I would never return to this nut job’s house, and never did. Even as an adult I could never date anyone named Jackie as it immediately took me back to being chased by this psychotic frail woman. I don’t know this Noah, but anybody who eats eight carrots is also likely not of sound mind.

0B506887-5DAE-4D81-BCA4-2DE17B0A3EAD.jpeg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We still have one of those here in Santa Rosa County at the Benny Russel park (you can Goggle it)... Son #2 fell running and split his face on the edge of a beam. Needed a couple of stitches. This was the incident I mentioned before where I suddenly realized the ER doc was asking "child abuse" questions and it REALLY pissed me off to the point where he apologized and said he had to by law.

The person who created that meme pic is a moron, that is a perfectly safe playground. A PROPER 70's playground would have ridiculously steep/dangerous STEEL slide (the kind so reflective that the surface super heats to 400 degrees) and every piece of timber in that pic would be ridiculously strong and unmovable steel pipe!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We still have one of those here in Santa Rosa County at the Benny Russel park (you can Goggle it)... Son #2 fell running and split his face on the edge of a beam. Needed a couple of stitches. This was the incident I mentioned before where I suddenly realized the ER doc was asking "child abuse" questions and it REALLY pissed me off to the point where he apologized and said he had to by law.

The person who created that meme pic is a moron, that is a perfectly safe playground. A PROPER 70's playground would have ridiculously steep/dangerous STEEL slide (the kind so reflective that the surface super heats to 400 degrees) and every piece of timber in that pic would be ridiculously strong and unmovable steel pipe!

Yeah, they still have those throughout PBC as well. The steel marry go round and blazing hot slide will always define my generation’s playground. Trampling, concussion, 3rd degree burns? All part of the experience.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Why the hell does this Juliana have 18 carrots?

Helps her breasts grow, and stay perky.

InfiniteEvenGoldeneye-max-1mb.gif

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yeah, they still have those throughout PBC as well. The steel marry go round and blazing hot slide will always define my generation’s playground. Trampling, concussion, 3rd degree burns? All part of the experience.
:fistbump: ... and look at that ridiculously safe rubber mat bridge thing!!!! In the 70's, it would be slatted with narrow round steel bars to step on, but spaced just far enough apart and high enough off the ground that if you missed a step, you'd plunge through but with enough forward momentum to snap a femur! :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
When I was four, my mother decided to try a new babysitter she knew. When I showed up the first thing she offered me was a glass of carrot juice which I respectfully declined. But she persisted. All day long she continued harping on me about drinking this glass of carrot juice like some kind of raving lunatic. When my mother picked me up, I resolutely told her I would never return to this nut job’s house, and never did. Even as an adult I could never date anyone named Jackie as it immediately took me back to being chased by this psychotic frail woman. I don’t know this Noah, but anybody who eats eight carrots is also likely not of sound mind.
Somewhat similar story with a babysitter. My parents went to CA and hired an agency to come in for the week. (Mostly because the local sitter wouldn't watch us because my brother and sister would fight but I digress) I happened to get the flu and the babysitter pulled some can of soup off the shelf that most likely expired years prior. For 20 years after I never wanted soup again. That also happened to be the same week that Ted Bundy murdered the girls at Chi O in Tally. That was a weird week. As a young kid I didn't grasp it all but knew it was a big deal.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
:fistbump: ... and look at that ridiculously safe rubber mat bridge thing!!!! In the 70's, it would be slatted with narrow round steel bars to step on, but spaced just far enough apart and high enough off the ground that if you missed a step, you'd plunge through but with enough forward momentum to snap a femur! :lol:
It was probably the creosote they used on the timber that made them remove it. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

The lesson was simple: don’t misstep or face the consequences. And I doubt it ever happened twice. Plus who knows how many orthopedists were spawned from those moments. I’ve always felt kids need inspiration.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Somewhat similar story with a babysitter. My parents went to CA and hired an agency to come in for the week. (Mostly because the local sitter wouldn't watch us because my brother and sister would fight but I digress) I happened to get the flu and the babysitter pulled some can of soup off the shelf that most likely expired years prior. For 20 years after I never wanted soup again. That also happened to be the same week that Ted Bundy murdered the girls at Chi O in Tally. That was a weird week. As a young kid I didn't grasp it all but knew it was a big deal.

It definitely was a big deal. Sell by dates have to be respected, canned or not.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Nice to hear the playgrounds in Michigan were like the playgrounds in Virginia. In summer you could have fried eggs on that slide.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
It was probably the creosote they used on the timber that made them remove it. :lol:
Ah, creosote. That's another addition to things that kids these days will never know. I remember when I was young back in the 70's creosote would bubble up and drips would slowly crawl down the power poles (called telephone poles back then). I've even heard of older adults that would pull chunks of it off and use it as they would dip tobacco today. Never appealed to me enough to try it though.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Brings back memories of dipping the wooden lobster traps my dad built by the thousands in the 70s and 80s.

He got a large tank that would hold up to four traps and filled it with whatever ratios of old diesel, bunker-c, tar, and used motor oil he could get. Each trap soaked in it for a few min before draining and being stacked up to dry. This created a dark space on the sea floor that lobsters were drawn to as a hiding place and it also inhibited the growth of worms and barnacles on the wood.

That was a pleasant experience for a hot key west afternoon in July and August.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.