Kids these days will never know….

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Just because several you say it, doesn't make it right. The answer is, and always will be, 1.

This reminds me of the discussions with our kids 10 years ago trying to help them with their math homework. You might think it’s easy teaching a 4th grader division but there were new methods in common-core math such as “waterfall” and you must show your work or else it’s wrong. You couldn’t do it the traditional way. In other words, no help from parents.

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with the math equation is a trickery of typing out that specific equation that way. No sane person would type 6 / 2(1+2). The use of the parenthesis implies that 2(1+2) is a single quantity.

It would be different if they wrote 6 / 2 * (1+2)

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
The problem with the math equation is a trickery of typing out that specific equation that way. No sane person would type 6 / 2(1+2). The use of the parenthesis implies that 2(1+2) is a single quantity.

It would be different if they wrote 6 / 2 * (1+2)
The commonly accepted form of that equation is 2(1+2) and it means the exact same as 6 / 2 * (1+2). The people who make the rules just eliminated the "*" to save time or space or who knows what... The former expression is correct regardless...

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The commonly accepted form of that equation is 2(1+2) and it means the exact same as 6 / 2 * (1+2). The people who make the rules just eliminated the "*" to save time or space or who knows what... The former expression is correct regardless...

My only point is writing the equation this way leads to confusion of whether or not the 2(1+2) is a single quantity. The last 3 pages of this thread proves that.

Today, I had a phd physicist specifically ask for clarification. He refused to answer because he said there could be 2 solutions depending on why I wrote it that way. That’s when it dawned on me why people are seeing 2 different equations.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
My only point is writing the equation this way leads to confusion of whether or not the 2(1+2) is a single quantity. The last 3 pages of this thread proves that.

Today, I had a phd physicist specifically ask for clarification. He refused to answer because he said there could be 2 solutions depending on why I wrote it that way. That’s when it dawned on me why people are seeing 2 different equations.
Correct, and I learned something else from all of this...

People who got "9" are most definitely "toilet paper over" people...

People who got "1" are "toilet paper under" people, and got the correct answer, and to say otherwise only proves/further confirms that one is a Communist...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

I just thought people who state the answer is "1" were just ignoring the order of operations... ;)

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
OK, those of you that claim PEMDAS says to do the parenthetical, then exponentials, then anything else left to right, can you explain why it isn't PELtR? Why do the first two letters indicate and order and the last are just random letters that have no order?

Your new math is why **** doesn't work right or last these days.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
This reminds me of the discussions with our kids 10 years ago trying to help them with their math homework. You might think it’s easy teaching a 4th grader division but there were new methods in common-core math such as “waterfall” and you must show your work or else it’s wrong. You couldn’t do it the traditional way. In other words, no help from parents.

Going through 4th grade math now and it’s frustrating. Rather than just solve a problem they make them do it 5 different ways. Just practice multiplication and division until they have it down and stop confusing them. At one point they had to estimate the answer rather than solve the problem, but there was no standard of where to round from. No wonder our scores are down. Just solve the freaking problem

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
OK, those of you that claim PEMDAS says to do the parenthetical, then exponentials, then anything else left to right, can you explain why it isn't PELtR? Why do the first two letters indicate and order and the last are just random letters that have no order?

Your new math is why **** doesn't work right or last these days.
From Khan Academy, in PEMDAS, multiplication and division are equal, or on the same level. Addition and subtraction are also on the same level with each other but lower than M & D. Why it isn't PEL+R is because "L" and "R" are just that, left and right and are not "operations in math. They are just instructions for how to handle operations that are on the same level, i.e. M&D and/or A&S. Because the process begins with P followed by E, then the others is, itself following the instructions of LEFT AND RIGHT so why would that change when dealing with operations that are on the same level, M&D? That wouldn't make any sense so you must stay with the process of left to right. Hopefully the video that I linked below will help explain it...

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
You're wasting your time Nalt. You are 100% right, but the cretes, revs and corches of the math world will never listen. It doesn't matter that billion dollar, cutting edge, computational intelligence platforms say they're wrong. By God their cheap assed HP calculator, or their shoddy understanding of order of operations, says differently.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Isn’t that kinda similar to the transitive property?
TRANS?!?!?!? I'm BINARY!!!
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Forking A! Do you have any idea what a stamp costs now?

Didn't the post office receive two multi billion dollar bailouts and now it costs .63 to mail a letter?

:shambles:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nobody said she shared them either. Maybe Noah had his own carrots.
Who eats 8 carrots?

When I was four, my mother decided to try a new babysitter she knew. When I showed up the first thing she offered me was a glass of carrot juice which I respectfully declined. But she persisted. All day long she continued harping on me about drinking this glass of carrot juice like some kind of raving lunatic. When my mother picked me up, I resolutely told her I would never return to this nut job’s house, and never did. Even as an adult I could never date anyone named Jackie as it immediately took me back to being chased by this psychotic frail woman. I don’t know this Noah, but anybody who eats eight carrots is also likely not of sound mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.