Let’s Talk Positives

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
That game was a DISASTER, but we need some therapeutic positivity so we don’t collectively tailspin into a fentanyl habit trying to cope. Here goes:

Armstrong could be good a good DC, 1st play not withstanding. The best defense is a good offense (as is wearing different jerseys on ST :mad: ) and he got ZERO help there. Perhaps we can scrape out some ugly wins.

Mertz looked OK, especially when he wasn’t getting rag-dolled. He was better than I expected.

Shemar James. He can play.

88, the TE, looks like he’s capable.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Defense was in position to make plays(scheme) and made most of them(talent, coaching). No constant streaking receivers running untouched or 5-6 missed tackles on any play I saw.

Young WRs could be great. And there could be someone better that needs a game rep to shine. They should all be playing.

STs doesn’t get that many plays.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
Lots of good players all over the field. Much more promising than last year I believe. Wilson looks explosive. Douglas was really surprising and it wasn't just his TD catch. Douglas had a beautiful crack back block on one of the WR screens that sprung the play for a good gain. Shemar James looked pretty good. I think Collins needs more snaps. Devin Moore almost had a pick. He was in position. If Mertz can settle down some on those short throws he missed, maybe he has a better completion percentage which wasn't bad even with those bad throws. I think we can make the running game work even if the OLine doesn't overpower anyone.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Shemar James is a stud.

Jordan Castell is gonna be really good.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Wilson caught that ball on the sideline and accelerated so fast my mouth dropped open. That guy is going to be lethal if we use him correctly.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really wasn’t worried about the OLine because of the job Sale did at UL. But that was a huge disappointment. If they correct that, then there’s a decent ceiling to the season.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I kinda feel bad. I won the drawing after the orange and blue game. It gave me OC duties for one game this year and I chose this one. I did my best I promise. Im sure it will get better from here.....or will it?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
That game was a DISASTER, but we need some therapeutic positivity so we don’t collectively tailspin into a fentanyl habit trying to cope. Here goes:

Armstrong could be good a good DC, 1st play not withstanding. The best defense is a good offense (as is wearing different jerseys on ST :mad: ) and he got ZERO help there. Perhaps we can scrape out some ugly wins.

Mertz looked OK, especially when he wasn’t getting rag-dolled. He was better than I expected.

Shemar James. He can play.

88, the TE, looks like he’s capable.

Discuss.
so you are here to pull them back from the ledge, too. You suffer from :pumper: :pumper: :pumper: :pumper: itis too. I saw things that gave me hope. I love Jason Odom's son, I think he will be a leader. Mertz played well enough. Just needed a running game. Cmon O Line............jell and lead us out of hell............

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
3 plays made the difference. The opening 70 yard TD, the penalty with two #3’s and the deflected interception. Overall the defense played well against a ranked team on the road.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have burners like Mizell who didn’t play and Wilson who played a handful of snaps . Our staff would rather get in 12 personnel despite playing three no talent pussies at tight end while boardingham sits along with backup receivers . Speed sits for Billy Bob

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The positive IN THEORY, is that the stupid mistakes that cost us at least 10 points (same jersey, illegal formation negating 1st down conversions) are easily correctable in one week. As I said, in theory, these are not fundamental issues with personnel or scheme, a hard day or two of practice should correct it, we will see.

It was pleasant to see no (at least I cant recall) showboating after we allowed a 20 yard play and finally tackled someone. At least that was some character/discipline that seemed to be shown.

The young guys look talented, keep saying that, its the only way to have hope. They do look like some difference-makers in the making

Mertz looked good enough to win games and solid completion %. AR cost us at least one (Kentucky) maybe two (Vandy) last year because of the random funk he would go into. It doesnt appear that will be an issue with Mertz, but we will see

Because of the inordinate amount of time we spend talking/thinking/analyzing during the offseason I think everyone overreacts to the first game especially if the first game results dont fit whatever framework we convinced ourselves about the team and season. I am going to stay off the national shows this week because it will be wall to wall about Deon, Sanders for heisman, how many national titles he will win, yada yada yada. I think the truth is probably a little less fatalistic than what we are taking away from the first game. In some ways McNeese is really important to show that the staff is making corrections and putting a cleaner product out there. Yes, the competition is crappy, so lets act accordingly and leave no doubt after 1 quarter.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
The defense did not appear to get worse. I'll credit the new DC for that; but it is way too early to know if the defense will actually be any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator