Let's discuss the offensive line

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he comes he's a starter Day 1, period.

In MSU's initial 1st spring practice report, Moorehead said that Reese was moved inside to OG and he's also cross training at Center. I'm not sure why they did this, he's a 2 year starter at OT. So, he's participating in their spring practices.
Bc they know he is probably leaving and want someone else to get reps at OT.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Bc they know he is probably leaving and want someone else to get reps at OT.

That's my same thoughts on this. Hopefully he's on track to graduate. He's only in his 3rd year (he'll have 2 years of eligibility when he transfers - not that he'd use both years, but he could). He's an academic All-SEC....plus a 2 year starter. Pretty damn impressive.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some GREAT news:

TOS is reporting that Noah Banks has been fully cleared to play.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
IMO - OL should always cross-train if they can AND I'd take a transfer with playing time especially from the SEC or Big 10.

Of all the positions I would over recruit/take a transfer of is OL..More so if they can play multiple positions

That's Capt. Obvious unless you are Coach Muschump or Butters MacShark

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concerning Franks making quicker decisions, he may not have to. While he’s no Tebow, he became an effective runner toward the end of the season. Having a true threat on the options should help out the OL some. It should also help in pass pro, if we have a threatening run game, provided it’s not an obvious passing down.

Not saying this will play out, but I do believe Franks willingness to run, should help out the OL.

Banks and Reese (fingers crossed) should really give this OL a chance to thrive early.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Stewart Reese Adjusting to New Role on Offensive Line

Not long after concluding his redshirt sophomore campaign, Mississippi State's Stewart Reese had a sit-down meeting with head coach Joe Moorhead and offensive line coach Marcus Johnson.

No, Reese was not in the doghouse or anything like that. His meeting with his mentors was about his future on the offensive line and the 2019 season. As rumored in previous seasons, that meeting resulted in Reese moving from right tackle to right guard for this season.

"We started talking about it the week we got back from the bowl game," Reese recalled. "Coach came to me about it and we had our meetings with Coach Johnson and Coach Moorhead. They sat me down and talked to me about playing guard and still taking some reps at tackle.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Not long after concluding his redshirt sophomore campaign, Mississippi State's Stewart Reese had a sit-down meeting with head coach Joe Moorhead and offensive line coach Marcus Johnson.

No, Reese was not in the doghouse or anything like that. His meeting with his mentors was about his future on the offensive line and the 2019 season. As rumored in previous seasons, that meeting resulted in Reese moving from right tackle to right guard for this season.

"We started talking about it the week we got back from the bowl game," Reese recalled. "Coach came to me about it and we had our meetings with Coach Johnson and Coach Moorhead. They sat me down and talked to me about playing guard and still taking some reps at tackle.

Really curious what's up w/ this. Does he have an NFL future at OG? He's played two seasons in the SEC as a RT, that's invaluable. If he's planning to transfer does he want to play OG or OT? We really need him at OT. Banks can play OT (and likely would have been a starter had he not missed time w/ the medical issue). We'll see....

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

On what is the theory that he’s transferring (to UF or anywhere else) based?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yeah, I've never heard of a guy who's transferring sitting down for tea and crumpets with his coaches.....Maybe throwing fecal matter at them on their way out the athletic dorm or something but it doesn't sound like this guy is going anywhere.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Nothing can be discussed officially because he hasn't graduated, but this has been speculated for almost a year. Just like Greenard, who still had not graduated, there was smoke....and as the saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire. Obviously I have no "insider" info on this, but it's been discussed so much that there has to be some merit. Plus, the kid is an academic all-SEC, he probably wants to get a graduate degree elsewhere - and what better place than UF w/ his old OL coach and head coach (plus other coaches), to play w/ his brother, and play in his home state closer to his family??

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nothing can be discussed officially because he hasn't graduated, but this has been speculated for almost a year. Just like Greenard, who still had not graduated, there was smoke....and as the saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire. Obviously I have no "insider" info on this, but it's been discussed so much that there has to be some merit. Plus, the kid is an academic all-SEC, he probably wants to get a graduate degree elsewhere - and what better place than UF w/ his old OL coach and head coach (plus other coaches), to play w/ his brother, and play in his home state closer to his family??
Hmmmm.......
Put me down in the skeptical column. Hopeful, but skeptical. If he’s really transferring, isn’t it risky to go through spring practice?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
There's solid reasoning behind a transfer. I take the view that he won't be here next season. If he does transfer, then that is fantastic. We need a guy of his caliber this season with so little depth. Thanks Butters. Fukk you!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hmmmm.......
Put me down in the skeptical column. Hopeful, but skeptical. If he’s really transferring, isn’t it risky to go through spring practice?
If you are switching jobs, do you quit your first job six months ahead?

If I were him this is exactly how I'd play it.

And Cowbell is being smart repping a guy to replace him at OT.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If you are switching jobs, do you quit your first job six months ahead?
I do if my getting hurt kills my chance at the second job. If he tears an ACL, he’s stuck in Starkville. If he skipped spring practice and spent the time working out, I am sure CDM would still accept his transfer. I would like to be wrong, but this doesn’t sound like a guy who is planning on transferring.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I do if my getting hurt kills my chance at the second job. If he tears an ACL, he’s stuck in Starkville. If he skipped spring practice and spent the time working out, I am sure CDM would still accept his transfer. I would like to be wrong, but this doesn’t sound like a guy who is planning on transferring.

He has to graduate first. He's HS c/o 2016, so he'll graduate in 3 years. That's pretty tough to do. My guess is his thought is "if I don't get enough credits to graduate, I'll have to stay another year." So if he sat out that wouldn't be a good look to his teammates and coaches.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
He has to graduate first. He's HS c/o 2016, so he'll graduate in 3 years. That's pretty tough to do. My guess is his thought is "if I don't get enough credits to graduate, I'll have to stay another year." So if he sat out that wouldn't be a good look to his teammates and coaches.
Clearly we are in the land of hypotheticals, but he knew how many credits he needed, and he is clearly a good student, so I doubt that was an issue. Assuming he’s a good student, he probably had several AP credits from day one. Add in all the summer sessions and graduating in three years is not that exceptional.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Clearly we are in the land of hypotheticals, but he knew how many credits he needed, and he is clearly a good student, so I doubt that was an issue. Assuming he’s a good student, he probably had several AP credits from day one. Add in all the summer sessions and graduating in three years is not that exceptional.

Are you the type of person that would ruin a wet dream? C'mon man, there's smoke here no matter how you look at it. You could very well be right.....and Stewart Reese could very well be the starting RT in Orlando on August 24th vs. Miami. Who knows?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From the Orlando paper:

Learning on the job

Gators’ offensive line has a combined 20 starts, will rely on several young players to be a foundation in 2019 under co-offensive coordinator Hevesy

Learning on the job

GAINESVILLE — Practice had ended and Sanders Football Practice Field was deserted, other than a small huddle at the 50-yard line as the sun began to make its way to the horizon.Florida Gators’ assistant coach John Hevesy was just getting started. With the Aug. 24 season opener against Miami still months away, Hevesy’s fledgling offensive line has no time to waste. During his 30-minute “come-to-Jesus” meeting with his players, Dan Mullen’s longtime lieutenant made it clear the O-line had wasted a chance to improve. Hevesy’s message?“Just the O-line in general has to step up, from the young guys to the older guys,” redshirt freshman guard Chris Bleich said. “We need to get it together more and just go over our plays better so we’re not making those stupid mental mistakes that we did today.” The rust following a week off showed — a generally sloppy day featuring late throws, dropped passes, blown coverages and plenty of pressure on the team’s quarterbacks. But the team’s least-experienced unit set the lowest bar. This is to be expected from the O-line, just not accepted by the hard-nosed Hevesy. “He pushes us to 1,000%,” redshirt freshman Richard Gouraige said. “He’s a tough dude to get across, but you just have to learn and just take his coaching. Even though it’s going to be hard, he knows what he’s talking about and he can help you get to the next level.”

For now, Bleich, Gouraige and the Gators’ offensive line simply look to make the next step on a long journey.

The Gators return just one starter up front, redshirt senior center Nick Buchanan, who was a first-time starter in 2018. Redshirt junior guard Brett Heggie, who was limited by injuries a season ago, is the only other UF lineman with more than one career start. He has made seven.

This leaves Hevesy to rely on a tremendous amount of youth at spots where experience and physical development are paramount.

“They said for an average O-lineman, it takes three years for them to see the field,” said Bleich, the team’s starter at left guard this spring. “Me and all the young guys have a great opportunity to come in and play right now.”

Last year, during Dan Mullen’s first season as head coach, Hevesy showed the ability to bring along the team’s offensive line.

Hevesy inherited a unit with ample experience, including 80 combined starts, and untapped potential, but a poor track record at UF. The struggles continued early on, but by season’s end, the Gators’ O-line spearheaded an offense that averaged 39 points during the final three games against Football Bowl Subdivision foes.

“His coaching is working, it works,” said redshirt junior tackle Jean Delance, a transfer from Texas who has been starting this spring. “You got to see past everything else and you take the coaching and digest it and you can get better.”

If Hevesy’s message does not sink in, facing a talented defensive front each practice will drive home the point.

“I’m going up against the best of the best defensive ends in the country,” Gouraige said. “It makes it even better and makes myself get better. I just love that and competing for a starting position.”

The competition will continue once spring practices wrap up with Saturday’s Orange and Blue game. Another offseason in Nick Savage’s demanding strength and conditioning program is the next step in the process.

When Hevesy pursued Bleich out of Pennsylvania, he knew it would not be easy in Gainesville.

“Especially in recruiting, I knew what I was getting into,” Bleich said. “It’s kind of worse now.”

Eventually, though, the Gators’ offensive line believes things will get better.

“It’s gonna take time, it’s not gonna come over one night,” redshirt sophomore tackle T.J. Moore said. “Everybody’s not just gonna click on one day.”

Until then, Hevesy, who has coached with Mullen since the 2001 season at Bowling Green, will not sugarcoat things. The Gators’ offensive line will always know where it stands.

“We take that to heart as a unit, very personally, because this unit is the youngest unit on the offense,” Delance said. “We have those veteran receivers, veteran quarterbacks, veteran running backs like [Lamical] Perine, we have to step up and get it going. Our offense is going to go as far as we want to take it.”

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Are you the type of person that would ruin a wet dream? C'mon man, there's smoke here no matter how you look at it. You could very well be right.....and Stewart Reese could very well be the starting RT in Orlando on August 24th vs. Miami. Who knows?
My bad. Uhhhh.....Go Gators!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What if he doesn't get that waiver for the class he needs? Or any other kind of academic issue that might get in the way. Remember he gets that athletic academic help while he is on the football team. Hell if he quits the football team he probably has to pay his own way for the semester.

You stay in school and keep working. You are in the program, using their nutrition, their weights, and keep running their plays. You never know, Belachick might die and the Patriots decide they want to run the option and hire Mullinz in May.

Only a fool leaves in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.