Let's talk about expectations

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was meandering.

Really it's quite depressing if we're waiting to win the SEC since currently that means beating the team that's the favorite to win the NC. We all want to be in the NC conversation every year, but we are so far behind in talent that it is going to take a while. This recruiting class is even more important than most of us want to admit. In the end I blame Chump for turning us into a laughing stock and taking the luster off the program. Had the next coach been competent we might have recovered sooner but....

instead here we are just hoping to look better each week and not embarrass ourselves. SMH.
Love ya, man. I'm not depressed at all. College football is fluid, elusive, unpredictable. You upgrade us at three to five positions and it's a whole new ballgame. I'm hanging in there for now.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I joined a new fantasy league this year, and at the draft party was a Alabama fan who informed me the Gators will never be back. I want get into the back and forth between the two of us, but I will say our historical expectations lie somewhere between his opinion and Threats.
A bit of trivia. Anyone care to guess who his favorite NFL team is.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
I'll say

Ham Sammich?

Is it too late to say that?

Damnit I'm no good at this...

Nib High football RULES!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No, UF has won 4 NC since in 33 years. That is about half the rate the original poster suggests, but really is was 4 NC between 1984 and 2008 when Fooley got full control to hire coaches the coached like he wanted, foolishly so make that 4 out of 23.

I know that in the 25 years from 1984 through 2008, UF won the SEC title 11 times or 44% of the time. I know in the 26 years from 1992 when the SEC went to a championship game through 2017 UF won the East (really won it and went to the championship game) 12 times or about 46% of the time.

These are the modern standards of UF. What happened in single platoon football when SEC teams played random schedules going decades without facing each other and Florida had 3 electoral votes is irrelevant to the expectations today of the flagship public university in the 3rd largest state in the country. UF along with aTm have best situation in the SEC and should have the highest expectations.
So you pick a window in time and that’s how you write history? Also, when was this 4th NC you say we won, UAL?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
instead here we are just hoping to look better each week and not embarrass ourselves. SMH.
Yeah, the bar has certainly been lowered so far it's nearly on the ground. It's amazing what a decade of embarrassing football will do.

After we beat UGA this season that bar will finally start to rise again.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Love ya, man. I'm not depressed at all. College football is fluid, elusive, unpredictable. You upgrade us at three to five positions and it's a whole new ballgame. I'm hanging in there for now.
Agree. We need a constant flow of talent and that MUST start with next class to capture any momentum we gain from this year but watching this team the last couple of weeks has given us a little hope that if we do pull solid recruits they will be at least somewhat better coached than at any time in the last 7 or 8 years.
The way I see it is we need more consistent and a deeper offensive line.
Our defensive line while improving needs a few more big bodies who are ready to play.
LBer position needs some better size and a true stud or 2....think Bostic and Jenkins. A little more depth never hurts either.
DB's are improving but still need a lot of work. This state is usually loaded at these positions so hopefully this won't be a problem.
We got talent and depth at WR and again this state is usually loaded with talent at this position.
RB looks very good but Scarlett is gone after this season so it's not to early to start hunting.
QB is always going to be a question mark as we've seen more than a few highly rated flops....the good news is that at least they look like they are getting some form of coaching.

All that said if this team can sneak 8 possibly 9 wins this season I almost can't see us not getting a top 10 class but it would be nice to see the coaches shoot for a top 5.

Black Dahlia

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2017
No, UF has won 4 NC since in 33 years. That is about half the rate the original poster suggests, but really is was 4 NC between 1984 and 2008 when Fooley got full control to hire coaches the coached like he wanted, foolishly so make that 4 out of 23.

I know that in the 25 years from 1984 through 2008, UF won the SEC title 11 times or 44% of the time. I know in the 26 years from 1992 when the SEC went to a championship game through 2017 UF won the East (really won it and went to the championship game) 12 times or about 46% of the time.

These are the modern standards of UF. What happened in single platoon football when SEC teams played random schedules going decades without facing each other and Florida had 3 electoral votes is irrelevant to the expectations today of the flagship public university in the 3rd largest state in the country. UF along with aTm have best situation in the SEC and should have the highest expectations.

I'd be interested in knowing what season we won this ethereal 4th National Championship.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. You upgrade us at three to five positions and it's a whole new ballgame..
:lmao2:

OL, LB, QB, DBs, TE, assistant coaches /recruiting staff?

I guess if you get wide enough you.can make it in 5ish positions.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
- I expect the S&C staff to actually put the kids through vigorous football style weight/strength training
- I expect the coaching staff the get raises and extensions when they earn them
- I expect the AD & UAA to notice when things aren't "right" - like the players doing palates or going to outside trainers
- I expect ticket prices to rise when there is a demand for tickets and a winning product on the field
- I expect to beat Kentucky at home, no matter how "good" Kentucky is
- I expect Law to call Mullen, "Mullenz", and McElwain, "Butters"
- I expect Ox to say we'll beat UGA - every year, not just THIS year
- I expect Jason Byrd to post something very thought provoking on a weekly basis
- I expect Cover2 to post within 1 minute of the final buzzer his analysis of the game
- I expect Jay to say that Scarlett is the best RB in the country, much better than any RB at UGA
- I expect rog to post something that makes me scratch my head
- I expect to be drunk on game days

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
- I expect the S&C staff to actually put the kids through vigorous football style weight/strength training
- I expect the coaching staff the get raises and extensions when they earn them
- I expect the AD & UAA to notice when things aren't "right" - like the players doing palates or going to outside trainers
- I expect ticket prices to rise when there is a demand for tickets and a winning product on the field
- I expect to beat Kentucky at home, no matter how "good" Kentucky is
- I expect Law to call Mullen, "Mullenz", and McElwain, "Butters"
- I expect Ox to say we'll beat UGA - every year, not just THIS year
- I expect Jason Byrd to post something very thought provoking on a weekly basis
- I expect Cover2 to post within 1 minute of the final buzzer his analysis of the game
- I expect Jay to say that Scarlett is the best RB in the country, much better than any RB at UGA
- I expect rog to post something that makes me scratch my head
- I expect to be drunk on game days

Preach it!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We may have felt we had the best team in America in '84, but the AP voters didn't.

BYU had 38 No. 1 votes to our six. Washington was second with 16 votes followed by UF.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think someone got into my "stash" yet again...great thread though gang!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the bar has certainly been lowered so far it's nearly on the ground. It's amazing what a decade of embarrassing football will do.

After we beat UGA this season that bar will finally start to rise again.

LSU first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator