Let's talk about expectations

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We may have felt we had the best team in America in '84, but the AP voters didn't.

BYU had 38 No. 1 votes to our six. Washington was second with 16 votes followed by UF.
THE NY TImes thought differently and UF would have beaten the mortal sh#T outa BYU that year. Our team was loaded with NFL talent and were hard nosed.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So you pick a window in time and that’s how you write history?

No as I said originally, the expectations of the Florida of 3 electoral votes has nothing with the expectations of Florida as the 3rd most populous state in the country. Part of fandom is knowing and supporting your program, but I guess in the ESPN era young UF fans can not be expected to know anything or think on their own at all.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I expect us to win at least 2 games this month.

Edit: I forgot about the bye. Maybe one game.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
No, UF has won 4 NC since in 33 years. That is about half the rate the original poster suggests, but really is was 4 NC between 1984 and 2008 when Fooley got full control to hire coaches the coached like he wanted, foolishly so make that 4 out of 23.

I know that in the 25 years from 1984 through 2008, UF won the SEC title 11 times or 44% of the time. I know in the 26 years from 1992 when the SEC went to a championship game through 2017 UF won the East (really won it and went to the championship game) 12 times or about 46% of the time.

These are the modern standards of UF. What happened in single platoon football when SEC teams played random schedules going decades without facing each other and Florida had 3 electoral votes is irrelevant to the expectations today of the flagship public university in the 3rd largest state in the country. UF along with aTm have best situation in the SEC and should have the highest expectations.

That is some serious cherry picking.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, the bar has certainly been lowered so far it's nearly on the ground. It's amazing what a decade of embarrassing football will do.

After we beat UGA this season that bar will finally start to rise again.
BP1012_CoverStory_Img1_F.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
THE NY TImes thought differently and UF would have beaten the mortal sh#T outa BYU that year. Our team was loaded with NFL talent and were hard nosed.
Oh, I have no doubt they would have. BYU was a controversial call by the AP voters, almost UCF before its time.

That was a tremendously talented Florida team on both sides of the ball, but esp the offensive line, the Great Wall. Kerwin's freshman season, and was he ever good.

Pell negotiated his resignation before the season but didn't leave until the third or fourth game.

How many times does that happen? A coach resigns in the middle of the season and the team puts together a season for the ages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.