Lincoln Riley blows off LSU, takes USC job; Venables to OU?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Sad, if true & if back channel conversations were non-existent or minimal.

Actually, if Stricklin or his staff did the research ahead of time, only one face-to-face may be justified. Back channel conversation could have given him a pretty good idea that Riley and Stoops were not going to happen. And SOS may have been part of the back channel with Stoops. The clock is ticking, other schools are beating the bushes as well so you don't have the luxury of interviewing them all. So you sort through the data including more back channel on their interest, you rank them, and you setup the first interview. If that person checks you boxes, you start negotiating. If not, you setup the second.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
While I agree in most cases those back channel conversations can be a difference, when someone with two heisman trophies and multiple playoff appearances becomes available you go talk to them in person. Make them say no to your face.

So Stricklin meets with Riley, throws the checkbook at him and he says no. Bolts to USC instead. We would look like LSU does now. If a guy tells me his is not interested, then I move on. Do you not remember what we looked like after Chip Kelly?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How much is LSU willing to pay the guy on the left, for results that are less than the guy on the right?
Honestly, Sumlin would be a far more scary hire at LSU than Dumbo. Dumbo recruits though.

All Sumlin was missing was a decent to good DC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So Stricklin meets with Riley, throws the checkbook at him and he says no. Bolts to USC instead. We would look like LSU does now. If a guy tells me his is not interested, then I move on. Do you not remember what we looked like after Chip Kelly?

I remember, but you have to take that shot... I have no problem with taking the shot at Chip and missing. I have an issue with settling. We don't know if he would say no, but you have to take a shot.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If I'd h
Honestly, Sumlin would be a far more scary hire at LSU than Dumbo. Dumbo recruits though.

All Sumlin was missing was a decent to good DC.
Sumlin botched the kyler Murray situation and they never forgave him. They definitely shouldn't have fired him.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
How much is LSU willing to pay the guy on the left, for results that are less than the guy on the right?

Why are you worried about it?
Y'all care more than I do and I'm an Alumnus
I just post what I'm hearing and reading
Woodward likes Jimbo...I don't think LSU fans care
Plus there is nothing Elite in the whole state of Louisiana as far as you are concerned.

It takes some nerve for someone who goes by "Detroit" to bash Louisiana...But your character reads 5 X 5

Bravo Foxtrot

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Why are you worried about it?
Y'all care more than I do and I'm an Alumnus
I just post what I'm hearing and reading
Woodward likes Jimbo...I don't think LSU fans care
Plus there is nothing Elite in the whole state of Louisiana as far as you are concerned.

It takes some nerve for someone who goes by "Detroit" to bash Louisiana...But your character reads 5 X 5

Bravo Foxtrot
I was a simple question... you read wayyyyyyy too much into schit NOLA. I was just posting what I was "hearing and reading" as well, it's an interesting and relevant comparison of the two, then you go all batschit... in a thread specifically about LSU's hiring of a new coach. What do you mean ""Why are you worried about it?" I have great friends from Louisiana. I like Baton Rouge. Where have I bashed Louisiana? Oddly, I've actually always liked LSU's football program when Florida isn't playing them. I've never questioned your character, yet you endlessly mention/question mine. I only talk about myself and my kids, not you or yours, you do the opposite. You judge and question my character, then "pray" for me and quote scripture. We're both JUCO guys that paid our own way through school, yet you somehow get that twisted. Now you are calling me a buddy fukker? I don't even understand what you mean in the context you are using. It makes no sense. Responding to you is tedious, because practically every sentence you type is just flat out wrong/twisted and worthy of a long response just to correct your false assumption.

You need to figure yourself out NOLA.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I was a simple question... you read wayyyyyyy too much into schit NOLA. I was just posting what I was "hearing and reading" as well, it's an interesting and relevant comparison of the two, then you go all batschit... in a thread specifically about LSU's hiring of a new coach. What do you mean ""Why are you worried about it?" I have great friends from Louisiana. I like Baton Rouge. Where have I bashed Louisiana? Oddly, I've actually always liked LSU's football program when Florida isn't playing them. I've never questioned your character, yet you endlessly mention/question mine. I only talk about myself and my kids, not you or yours, you do the opposite. You judge and question my character, then "pray" for me and quote scripture. We're both JUCO guys that paid our own way through school, yet you somehow get that twisted. Now you are calling me a buddy fukker? I don't even understand what you mean in the context you are using. It makes no sense. Responding to you is tedious, because practically every sentence you type is just flat out wrong/twisted and worthy of a long response just to correct your false assumption.

I don't have to figure anything. You'll throw anyone under the bus if it suits you.

You were pretty clear.

Go back and read some of the stuff you have posted.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldnt even visit cali yet alone live there. I hate the place and have never stepped foot in it. I wish it would separate from the rest of the country and float out to the sea.

I lived in NorCal for a couple of years back in the nineties and it was pretty bad then.
Now California doesn’t even resemble an American state and I will never, and I mean never, step foot in California again.

Not one penny of my discretionary income will be spent in California.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
If the rumor is true that he is the only one he interviewed. I don't get that, how can you truly know the talent pool unless you converse with them. This hire was very Foley/Butters like if the rumors are true.

Do you think Stricklin didn't contact Sexton and asked who is interested? You only interview those that are interested in the job. You just dont show up on a guys doorstep and say Im hear to interview you. Point is, you or I have no clue who was actually interested in the job, just that Stricklin went to see Napier on Tuesday.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

This is sincere?

You better re-read...I've never bashed your wife, mom, or kids.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
USC is one of the crown jewels of CFB. The only reason they’re in their current condition is the exact same reason we are: piss poor management at all levels. It seems that they’re finally serious about football again. If so, expect them to be on a roll very quickly. Riley is a great coach and a great recruiter. And with NIL regulations that can be leveraged at USC better than any school in America, it’ll be extremely difficult to pull recruits away from them. All the sh!t they used to do is now legal. He’d be a fool to choose LSU over USC.

This is 100% correct.

In particular:
“All the sh!t they used to do is now legal”

Reggie Bush is pissed and he wants his Heisman Trophy back. It sucks when half of your roster has been paid yet you are the only one that gets caught.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
@SoonerScoop: BREAKING: Lincoln Riley joined by defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, WRs coach Dennis Simmons, director of ops Clarke Stroud & strength coach Bennie Wylie arrived a private hanger at Will Rogers airport to depart for Los Angeles this morning.

The important name missing from that group is the OL coach, who Napier followed on Twitter recently. OU's OL coach is the grand slam hire at that position.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.