Luke Del Rio

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None of those were graduate transfers to my knowledge. Aikman transferred because Jerome Brown broke his leg during a game and OU went to the wishbone.

A graduate transfer has used his 4 years of eligibility and gets awarded a 5th year because they graduated. None of your examples did that to my knowledge.

WRONG

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
a graduate transfer simply means that you graduated. Coker graduated with two years remaining. Expect this to be a bigger issue in the future. There are a lot of kids graduating with an AA degree a month before graduating HS.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
a graduate transfer simply means that you graduated. Coker graduated with two years remaining. Expect this to be a bigger issue in the future. There are a lot of kids graduating with an AA degree a month before graduating HS.

I was actually wondering about that. I wasn't sure if the NCAA only allowed them one year or if they graduated early they could get more.?.?.

Edit: Actually now I think I remember that the Utah DB transfer, Ryan Smith was here for one season but could have stayed and played another year. But he elected to take his shot at the NFL. Not sure that worked out too well for him...never really heard anything from him again...hopefully he did okay.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None of those were graduate transfers to my knowledge. Aikman transferred because Jerome Brown broke his leg during a game and OU went to the wishbone.

A graduate transfer has used his 4 years of eligibility and gets awarded a 5th year because they graduated. None of your examples did that to my knowledge.

Apologize, was thinking of transfers who ended up doing well. A graduate transfer hasn't used up all their eligibility, they can have however many years they have left of eligibility after graduation. I believe there have been a couple of grad transfers with two years left, due to entering college with one year of college courses done and a redshirt year.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It does make sense for the NCAA to reward these "student athletes" for academic success by allowing them more playing options if things don't work out at their original school of choice.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Edit: Actually now I think I remember that the Utah DB transfer, Ryan Smith was here for one season but could have stayed and played another year. But he elected to take his shot at the NFL. Not sure that worked out too well for him...never really heard anything from him again...hopefully he did okay.

Played for the Titians, but I don't think he saw a second contract.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Appleby is a low risk opportunity, nothing more. He's not expected to be our savior and he didn't take a scholarship away from a stud recruit. If he boosts competition (or at least keeps other QBs from slacking), if he provides quality roster depth, leadership and maturity, then he has done his job. If he produces on the field, it's a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby is the starter....garonteed......

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator said:
Ryan Smith was here for one season but could have stayed and played another year. But he elected to take his shot at the NFL. Not sure that worked out too well for him...never really heard anything from him again...hopefully he did okay.
He was TERRIBLE. Too slow, too small, too weak,but he had all americans all around him. We protected him by giving short zones, and he could get away with gambling, which he did pretty well. He got drafted by someone, must have been a team that looked only at stats, and got cut like three days into camp. I havent about him since.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He was TERRIBLE. Too slow, too small, too weak,but he had all americans all around him. We protected him by giving short zones, and he could get away with gambling, which he did pretty well. He got drafted by someone, must have been a team that looked only at stats, and got cut like three days into camp. I havent about him since.

I remember him getting a couple of big picks for us but seeming to be underwhelming athletically.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby is here for competition. He may pull a Driskel and play much better than his last stop. Otherwise you have to keep Treon around for competition. He is needed, but maybe not to actually play.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember him getting a couple of big picks for us but seeming to be underwhelming athletically.
Yeah, overachiever for sure. He had no business being on the field. Made the most with what he had and was obviously wily.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but if he was that good, he would still be able to go to the combine and get drafted vs. going to UF to possibly start... very few great players do graduate transfer. Russell Wilson is the only one I can think of.

My big issue with him are his INT numbers. His TD to INT rate is not good at all (19/19)... That is horrible
No one said he was great. He may play, may not. May start, may not. When youre dealing with prokects or lower tier players, the more the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.