Matt Corral injured

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yes. He quit on them. I can be selfish and say 'good for us', but that doesn't change the fact of what happened. He should have been penalized in some fashion for having done so and maybe he was. And Lincoln Riley should be blackballed from ever coaching another college team after he flames out at USC.
So, when you get offered a better job is it your responsibility to stay at the current one until some date specific.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
BN stayed for his team's championship game, which is far more meaningful than sticking around for an exhibition bowl game.

I'm sure BN's pay from ULL took the proper cut according to his exit time. I would agree with those suggesting that players who exit prior to the exhibition game take a proportional cut to their bennies.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So, when you get offered a better job is it your responsibility to stay at the current one until some date specific.

If I have a contract that states so, then YES. Unless I negotiate a payout so that the company who is relying on me doesn't get screwed by my dishonesty.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like its ridiculous that we even find ourselves in a spot where we are questioning the decision of a college football player to play in a college football game. I think its understood that when you receive a scholarship, that is something of immense value, and in return for that you are expected to play football on behalf of the school. Next thing you know, as soon as some player has shown some flashes of athleticism worthy of NFL consideration, he'll sit out the rest of the regular season as soon as his team gets eliminated from the playoffs.
My friend, you ain't seen nothing yet. It's only a matter of time before one of these guys decides to sit out at PLAYOFF bowl game because he doesn't want to get hurt. Then the **** is going to hit the fan.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My friend, you ain't seen nothing yet. It's only a matter of time before one of these guys decides to sit out at PLAYOFF bowl game because he doesn't want to get hurt. Then the **** is going to hit the fan.
Yep, rumor is Stetson Bennett is sitting out and working on his combine skills for the draft.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who names his kid Stetson?

Answer: Someone with a huge head.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
So, what if they get hurt on the last game of the regular season? Shouldn't they skip that game, also?

And, they might get hurt on the 8th game of the season. They should protect themselves and not play in that game.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So, what if they get hurt on the last game of the regular season? Shouldn't they skip that game, also?

And, they might get hurt on the 8th game of the season. They should protect themselves and not play in that game.
There’s a difference between a regular season game or playoff/championship game versus a bowl game. We’d all like to see complete rosters in bowl games, but it is ridiculous to expect players with a legit shot at the NFL risk injury in an exhibition game. If the player wants to, like a Matt Corral or Dameon Pierce, great; they are welcome to.

Have you ever noticed that the only criticism of players sitting out comes from fans or the media?

sharkbite

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2017
I think bowl games (less championship games) are basically going to become games for testing up and coming players. Instead of a Spring game, count it as a Fall game against an actual opponent.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Hell the NFL should just wave the 3 years in college rule and just start drafting them right out of high-school. I think you will start seeing NIL deals contracted with a specific time required or be payed back in full in the event the said athlete leaves early.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
There’s a difference between a regular season game or playoff/championship game versus a bowl game. We’d all like to see complete rosters in bowl games, but it is ridiculous to expect players with a legit shot at the NFL risk injury in an exhibition game. If the player wants to, like a Matt Corral or Dameon Pierce, great; they are welcome to.

Have you ever noticed that the only criticism of players sitting out comes from fans or the media?
I don't see it that way. They received their benefits in return for playing for their school. Just because they don't make the playoff, doesn't mean it is o.k. to quit.
What if a team loses two or three games? Should they quit after that? None of the games will matter after that. They aren't going to the playoff.
There is always a risk of getting hurt. I do not see the bowl game as being any different. Bowl games do not matter? I think they should matter.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Matt Corral will be remembered by Ole Miss fans and college football fans in general as a player who put it on the line every game. Not just a quarterback, but a football player. Maybe he got that sense of duty from his dad and his brother who were Marines.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Matt Corral will be remembered by Ole Miss fans and college football fans in general as a player who put it on the line every game. Not just a quarterback, but a football player. Maybe he got that sense of duty from his dad and his brother who were Marines.

Yet he wasn't good enough for Cousin Eddie.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't see it that way. They received their benefits in return for playing for their school. Just because they don't make the playoff, doesn't mean it is o.k. to quit.
What if a team loses two or three games? Should they quit after that? None of the games will matter after that. They aren't going to the playoff.
There is always a risk of getting hurt. I do not see the bowl game as being any different. Bowl games do not matter? I think they should matter.
It really doesn't matter how you see it. You're not playing or involved in a school administration. (Yeah, you're a fan and a passionate one; but our opinion, even if we're big check writers is meaningless.) It's never going away. And prepare yourself for what's coming next: someday some player will opt out of the playoffs. Hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet against it. (And, FTR, I would be opposed to that.)

Do you know why I sympathize with the players on the bowl games? Because the universities don't take the bowl games seriously either. What would UF's response have been if Billy Napier had said he would not come to Florida until after UL's bowl game? Would any other school hiring a new HC (LSU, USCw, Miami) have had a different response? (They do seem to put up with coaches still coaching in the playoffs though - Dan Lanning, Kirby Smart a few years ago - hmmmmm.....) How serious did UF take last year's Cotton Bowl? If you were a player on that team what would your take away have been? This isn't even touching on how many bowl games there are now. Did you notice how empty the stands are for most of them?

As for your comment about regular season games as to what makes them different (paraphrasing here), the answer is they just are different. Why is the Swamp still packed later in the season when the Gators already have a couple of losses (and all the other stadiums around the country)? Because it's not just about the game. Most Gator football fans tuned in to watch the FSU game because they cared; hell, they tuned in to watch the Samford game and were (justifiably) pissed that it was close as it was. The bowl game? Yeah we watched; yeah we bitched; but most of us were sorta like, "meh" in the end; close the chapter; move on. Was anyone here really excited about that game? Hell, we had several Chatterers advocating that UF decline the bid.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
It really doesn't matter how you see it. You're not playing or involved in a school administration. (Yeah, you're a fan and a passionate one; but our opinion, even if we're big check writers is meaningless.) It's never going away. And prepare yourself for what's coming next: someday some player will opt out of the playoffs. Hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't bet against it. (And, FTR, I would be opposed to that.)

Do you know why I sympathize with the players on the bowl games? Because the universities don't take the bowl games seriously either. What would UF's response have been if Billy Napier had said he would not come to Florida until after UL's bowl game? Would any other school hiring a new HC (LSU, USCw, Miami) have had a different response? (They do seem to put up with coaches still coaching in the playoffs though - Dan Lanning, Kirby Smart a few years ago - hmmmmm.....) How serious did UF take last year's Cotton Bowl? If you were a player on that team what would your take away have been? This isn't even touching on how many bowl games there are now. Did you notice how empty the stands are for most of them?

As for your comment about regular season games as to what makes them different (paraphrasing here), the answer is they just are different. Why is the Swamp still packed later in the season when the Gators already have a couple of losses (and all the other stadiums around the country)? Because it's not just about the game. Most Gator football fans tuned in to watch the FSU game because they cared; hell, they tuned in to watch the Samford game and were (justifiably) pissed that it was close as it was. The bowl game? Yeah we watched; yeah we *****ed; but most of us were sorta like, "meh" in the end; close the chapter; move on. Was anyone here really excited about that game? Hell, we had several Chatterers advocating that UF decline the bid.
O.k., we will have to disagree about that. If it is not a rivalry game and it doesn't matter for playoffs or championships, I still think the players should play. And playing in a bowl game should be an honor.
The players were given considerations for their commitment to play football for the university. How many games are o.k. to sit out? I don't see how one game is different than three. Unless they have some kind of emergency or something, they should be available to play. If they want to just opt out because football is too risky, they should not get a scholarship. They should have made that decision a long time ago.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
O.k., we will have to disagree about that. If it is not a rivalry game and it doesn't matter for playoffs or championships, I still think the players should play. And playing in a bowl game should be an honor.
The players were given considerations for their commitment to play football for the university. How many games are o.k. to sit out? I don't see how one game is different than three. Unless they have some kind of emergency or something, they should be available to play. If they want to just opt out because football is too risky, they should not get a scholarship. They should have made that decision a long time ago.
Just to be clear, I think they should play too. I just don’t think it should be held against them if they don’t. I would hope they would all have the attitude and desire of a Dameon Pierce. I’d like to think I would in that situation; but I also recognize reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.