McElwain adds to support staff

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Kind of an odd hire (a career high school basketball coach), but he has south Florida/Miami area ties:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-coach-jim-mcelwain-makes-new-support-staff-hire

Jim McElwain continues to beef up his support staff.

The Florida coach has hired John Herron as director of on-campus recruiting. Herron, a University of Florida alumnus, joined the program this week.

For the last 14 years, Herron has coached high school basketball in Miami-Dade County. He served as the head coach at Southridge (2011-16) and South Dade (2002-09), leading his teams to a total of five regional appearances.

Prior to his head coaching stints, Herron was an assistant coach at Eastside High School in Gainesville from 1997-2001 and part of the Rams’ semifinal finish in 2000. He graduated from the University of Florida in 1996.

Despite his background in basketball, Herron holds deep ties to high school football in South Florida and knows dozens of coaches personally. Born and raised in Homestead, Fla., Herron also relates well to recruits in the area and has relationships with current Gators players, including running back Jordan Cronkrite and wide receivers Antonio Callaway and C.J. Worton.

Herron will assist McElwain, director of player personnel Drew Hughes and the staff in coordinating on-campus visits with recruits, particularly ones from South Florida. Having coached and taught high school athletes for 20 years, Herron’s familiarity with them should be beneficial for the Gators.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever it takes to be successful without cheating. I am all for it.
This article also answers the question from another thread about Drew Hughes position and if he is still on staff

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Herron just landed a sweet gig. He just finished his 20th year as a teacher, so he has earned his pension (which he won't collect until he's 55 or 60, I'm not sure how the state pension system works, but he needed 20 years to be vested). Now he's back in Gainesville, where he went to college, and will likely get a nice raise from his HS days. Ties to south Florida are very helpful...hopefully he has more pull than we've seen from our LB coach! :D

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
we are fresh....actually, the freshest....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well duh ? This move was done to make Saban do a "coulda had a V8 forehead slap", when next year
we sign a 6'9" TE. Shake'em up Mac, grow Gators.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well duh ? This move was done to make Saban do a "coulda had a V8 forehead slap", when next year
we sign a 6'9" TE. Shake'em up Mac, grow Gators.

New cheer.....Grooooooooooooow Gators!....(like flied rice)

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
???
Call me a hater, but yes, this is an odd hire. Playing devils advocate, but couldn't Mac have hired a high school FOOTBALL coach from that same area of the state who had the same # of years experience with as good or better relationships with the area football coaches and players who actually KNOWS and has EXPERIENCE with the game of FOOTBALL?

Maybe the guy works out but this seems like a reach and a head scratcher.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Herron just landed a sweet gig. He just finished his 20th year as a teacher, so he has earned his pension (which he won't collect until he's 55 or 60, I'm not sure how the state pension system works, but he needed 20 years to be vested). Now he's back in Gainesville, where he went to college, and will likely get a nice raise from his HS days. Ties to south Florida are very helpful...hopefully he has more pull than we've seen from our LB coach! :D

Its 62 for teachers not to take a penalty I believe. I hope he works out good for us.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He'll earn some sort of pension working for UF too, right?

I think that may fall under the state system also. I remember hearing some coach was going to get some pension off his base of a couple hundred K (It may have been Spurrier) and because he had 8 or more years in the retirement system.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe we can find a baseball and hockey coach to really fill this staff out.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Its 62 for teachers not to take a penalty I believe. I hope he works out good for us.

He'll earn some sort of pension working for UF too, right?

I think that may fall under the state system also. I remember hearing some coach was going to get some pension off his base of a couple hundred K (It may have been Spurrier) and because he had 8 or more years in the retirement system.
Public HS, State College, State University. It's all the same Florida Retirement System (FRS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator