McElwain adds to support staff

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
???
Call me a hater, but yes, this is an odd hire. Playing devils advocate, but couldn't Mac have hired a high school FOOTBALL coach from that same area of the state who had the same # of years experience with as good or better relationships with the area football coaches and players who actually KNOWS and has EXPERIENCE with the game of FOOTBALL?
This is the Kyle Trash hire of our athletic staff.

Sometimes I wonder if we actually PAY the people who make these decisions. Surely somewhere there was at least one FOOTBALL coach, maybe even one with college experience, or at least a high school guy with contacts in the area, that was willing to take our position. Surely.

Or maybe not.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait…. maybe this guy composes masterful jive-tweets ?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Kind of an odd hire (a career high school basketball coach), but he has south Florida/Miami area ties:
It would take much to beat Randy Shannon in recruiting the area.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
This is the Kyle Trash hire of our athletic staff.

Sometimes I wonder if we actually PAY the people who make these decisions. Surely somewhere there was at least one FOOTBALL coach, maybe even one with college experience, or at least a high school guy with contacts in the area, that was willing to take our position. Surely.

Or maybe not.

Comparing to future HOFer, Trask! High praise indeed. (Maybe a little over the top.)

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is more to do with relationships and how to "get in the door" to see these kids, period. Nothing wrong with Mac beefing up the staff to hit south FL hard. I don't care if the guy is a badminton coach. If he produces, then great. If not, hit the bricks.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Its about management and relationships. I think its a decent hire. He isnt going to be a coach.

No, he's not going to be a coach...yet. One of the benefits of hiring guys as non-coach support staff/admin positions is that you get additional football coaches on the staff and you can do many things with those guys, including putting them on the staff as coaches when slots open up. The admin positions are really just a way to circumvent the rules on how many coaches you can have on staff. Filling one of these slots with a basketball coach who brings nothing to the table as it relates to knowing and coaching football, and who will never be a full fledged coach on our staff (hopefully), is really puzzling.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wait, still struggling with this Pumpthink. So this pee wee league basketball coach is the one who has all the relationships with the football coaches in the state?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Wait, still struggling with this Pumpthink. So this pee wee league basketball coach is the one who has all the relationships with the football coaches in the state?

No. He is just a whole lot smarter than you.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait ... what if Mac knows this is a temporary hire because Mac has his eyes on a tall 9th grader
down south who loves playing basketball and football ... a Charlie Ward type but tall and with
modernity style as QB or WR ?.... huh, huh what if ?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All he's doing is coordinating recruiting visits on campus. You don't need to be a good football coach in order to do that. You just need someone who is friendly, organized, and knows how to deal with athletes and their families. Nothing wrong with the hire. It's not like he'll be coaching our current players or anything.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
All he's doing is coordinating recruiting visits on campus. You don't need to be a good football coach in order to do that. You just need someone who is friendly, organized, and knows how to deal with athletes and their families. Nothing wrong with the hire. It's not like he'll be coaching our current players or anything.

I completely agree there's "nothing wrong with the hire"....but I also feel he could have found a veteran HS football coach to do the same thing. Either way, good for Herron. He's a UF grad. This has to be exciting for him. He's promoting his alma mater.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, John Herron is a UF grad and as a BBall coach he's been friendly with many south Florida
football coaches.? I would like to hear how this guy popped into Mac's thinking ?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, John Herron is a UF grad and as a BBall coach he's been friendly with many south Florida
football coaches.? I would like to hear how this guy popped into Mac's thinking ?

Agree, would be interesting to know how he landed on McElwain's radar. Are there headhunters for this type of work? Maybe he'd be interested in a veteran CG officer who will be retiring soon? Or possibly a CG Master Chief??? :D

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Exactly. But Mac could get better results using hostesses and ordering some doughnuts.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. But Mac could get better results using hostesses and ordering some doughnuts.
Did you say hoestesses?

886979.jpg

Poor lil hoe on the right is like the Monica Lewinsky of college football.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Its about management and relationships. I think its a decent hire. He isnt going to be a coach.

And how are his management skills? Has he done this before? Basketball? Weird. We could have hired a janitor and you'd be raving about the hire. It's what you do.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
And how are his management skills? Has he done this before? Basketball? Weird. We could have hired a janitor and you'd be raving about the hire. It's what you do.

And your a idiot, thats what you do.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Gotta agree w/ Rex here. It's like those trying to argue a 3-star is just as good as a 4 or 5 star because our coaching staff is so good at evaluating talent compared to every other staff in the country....

Again, good for him. But it seems like hiring a veteran HS football coach would have made more sense.

I know, I know...."trust the coaches" (the same things that were said by the Ron Zook and Will Muschamp lovers).....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator