Mcelwain waiting for Treon or Grier to "take ownership"

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n262500 said:
Treon is slowly putting it together, just like last fall. Where he came in and overtook Grier who had been learning the system since his enrollment. Grier is similar to JD in both the physical qualities and small ball HS competition. I think he has a better head than JD, and with his father being a coach this will help his ability to absorb what Mac needs him to do. But Treon played big boy HS and with some college level experience, if he can get his accuracy down he has the ability to take us to championship level. I don't think he will ever be an All American nor Heisman candidate. If I had to compare his potential I would say maybe a future Leak.
Who knows what happened last fall with all this QB competition. I wouldn't bet the farm on anything that last regime said or did, much less evaluate talent. Probably the only smart move was by Grier's Father to get his son RS'd for the year. Who knows what will happen and who the starter will be. Just as long as he wins! Mac is going to be a way better at evaluating talent than Asschamp.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I wouldnt believe ANYTHING from last year. Our previous staff said the gator nation would be proud Driskel is our QB. I think Grier starts but I will be 100% behind Harris if its him.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Gatormac2112;n262693 said:
My reasoning is just what you stated, hes the type of QB Mac has had success with in the past. I dont think Mac wants a running QB that can throw some, I think he wants a throwing QB that can run when needed and manage a game. I havent seen any real play from Grier, but what I saw of Harris last year I was none too impressed. Maybe it was all due to Muschamp ball, but I wasn't happy with his play irregardless. I wont be upset if its Harris, I will just be surprised because I think Grier fits the mold better.

Agreed.
Also what is better for the team in the long run? Both Grier and Harris on the field at the same time.
I'd much rather see Grier take over the QB position and Harris be utilized elsewhere. Solid starting QB in Grier and solid backup in Harris. That would be ideal for all of us.

Have to add to that that with Treon's legal issues I'd rather he not be the face of Florida football.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
NavetG8r;n262538 said:
This guy knows nothing. JMac is gonna roll with the guy that leads the offense up and down the field best. Personally I don't care who it is, as long as they can move the chains and score more points than the other guys.
Actually I think the guy is right on target. Like someone said above, it will be surprising if Grier isn't named the starter. He fits what Coach Mack is looking for better, seems to be getting the earliest, most first team reps, is doing better in the passing drills and scrimmage from the limited reports, is taller (Mack actually said something about not wanting a short QB behind these huge linemen) and he is the only player Mack most recently brought to meet with the press with him.

Maybe the competition is still on-going but it certainly looks and sounds like Grier is going to be the starter. Harris will certainly play, second half when we get a big lead hopefully. And of course Grier could go down with an injury at any time or struggle on the big stage so Harris will be one play away from the starting role.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n262351 said:
I've probably been the most critical of treon but if the new coaching staff rolls with treon, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

:bsmeter:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.