Mcelwain waiting for Treon or Grier to "take ownership"

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just glad that Mac is trying to build these guys up mentally in the right frame of mind.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Gator Fever;n262350 said:
I think people are expecting Grier to be a standout right off the bat. It would be nice if he was but I am reserving judgment until we get in SEC play after what has transpired since 09. With Treon we kind of know what we have but as a sophomore and if he could stay a little healthier he could be decent I think.

Amen to that. After so many years of starting 4-0, I'm fully conditioned to wait until I see how the Gators look against LSU and other upper level SEC competition. That goes for every position and every unit on the team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tinerc has always done this. They play a slate of weak teams in November every year, weaker than our Sept schedule, and convince themselves that Dooley has turned a corner and Bray is the Rifleman. Every year. Wash rince repeat.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Gator Fever;n262350 said:
I think people are expecting Grier to be a standout right off the bat. It would be nice if he was but I am reserving judgment until we get in SEC play after what has transpired since 09. With Treon we kind of know what we have but as a sophomore and if he could stay a little healthier he could be decent I think.
except that I think dobbs is a mechanical engineering major and harris is a yhree time Numbskull

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n262449 said:
except that I think dobbs is a mechanical engineering major and harris is a yhree time Numbskull

Harris throne in to SEC play … then shoulder hurt on a QB … and to TOP it off, learning-practice under a
"beat-you-down" discouraging HC. Both QBs are getting real development right now. Hallelujah Gators & me.

Dec 10, 2014
Grier is white and most of the surrounding offensive 11 are black. Him taking "ownership" is racist. :racist:

Coach Mac needs to apologize for being insensitive, kiss Al Sharpton's ass, and revoke Griers' scholarship to make amends.

south-park-s11e01c03-go-ahead-apologize-16x9.jpg

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n262382 said:
Agreed! Previous coaching staff couldn't identify talent at all. For all we know, we have talent at every position. Some of that talent being young and needs development, though.

That's what happens when you have a no talent coaching staff, people with no talent have no idea what talent is and therefore use no talent people. For example, see who Chimp used as our TE last year after McGee went down.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
McGee probably got hurt trying to throw a "Muschamp-perfect" block -- the kind you don't get raged at for ?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n262459 said:
Grier is white and most of the surrounding offensive 11 are black. Him taking "ownership" is racist. :racist:

Coach Mac needs to apologize for being insensitive, kiss Al Sharpton's ass, and revoke Griers' scholarship to make amends.

south-park-s11e01c03-go-ahead-apologize-16x9.jpg

Plenty of whiteys on the O line and tight end, braugh.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Treon is slowly putting it together, just like last fall. Where he came in and overtook Grier who had been learning the system since his enrollment. Grier is similar to JD in both the physical qualities and small ball HS competition. I think he has a better head than JD, and with his father being a coach this will help his ability to absorb what Mac needs him to do. But Treon played big boy HS and with some college level experience, if he can get his accuracy down he has the ability to take us to championship level. I don't think he will ever be an All American nor Heisman candidate. If I had to compare his potential I would say maybe a future Leak.

GatorUrf10

Newb
Aug 10, 2015
Difference from last staff is that they identified offensive starters by finding guys who didn't 'screw up' aka guys who never fumble, never false-start (although that happened enough), never throw an int in practice (but threw plenty in games)... Now we are seeing the offense being evaluated like our defense has been which is find the most talented and detemined guys and coach them into quality playing time. It's refreshing already and I haven't seen a snap yet.

I want guys out there who are only afraid of not being the best, and nothing else. Players play with the confidence and attitude of their coach.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
GatorUrf10;n262502 said:
Difference from last staff is that they identified offensive starters by finding guys who didn't 'screw up' aka guys who never fumble, never false-start (although that happened enough), never throw an int in practice (but threw plenty in games)... Now we are seeing the offense being evaluated like our defense has been which is find the most talented and determined guys and coach them into quality playing time. It's refreshing already and I haven't seen a snap yet.

I want guys out there who are only afraid of not being the best, and nothing else. Players play with the confidence and attitude of their coach.

Good observation. This isn't a novel concept, yet the previous staff fell flat on their faces with this idea.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n262379 said:
Call me crazy, but the phenomenon josh Dobbs of Tennessee is being spoke so highly of by "experts everywhere"

Dobbs? A phenomenon? That's more Tennessee fan delusion. Same thing with their coach. Dobbs came in late in the year and looked adequate against their weakest competition; Vandy, Kentucky, lost to Mizzou, shoulda lost to SC, etc. Dobbs is unproven, Butch Jones is unproven, but you listen to Tennessee fan and they're both on the verge of statues in front of the stadium.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorUrf10;n262502 said:
Difference from last staff is that they identified offensive starters by finding guys who didn't 'screw up' aka guys who never fumble, never false-start (although that happened enough), never throw an int in practice (but threw plenty in games)... Now we are seeing the offense being evaluated like our defense has been which is find the most talented and detemined guys and coach them into quality playing time. It's refreshing already and I haven't seen a snap yet.

Get an avatar before you get to post 10, or you aren't going to like the one Ox gives you.

Oh and welcome. :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n262538 said:
This guy knows nothing. JMac is gonna roll with the guy that leads the offense up and down the field best. Personally I don't care who it is, as long as they can move the chains and score more points than the other guys.
Haha , it doesn't hurt to stir the pot.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
TheBigClaw;n262340 said:
Guys never took a snap in a real game... Not sure why you think that. Only reason I could think of is that Grier is more of QB Mcelwain has always had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My reasoning is just what you stated, hes the type of QB Mac has had success with in the past. I dont think Mac wants a running QB that can throw some, I think he wants a throwing QB that can run when needed and manage a game. I havent seen any real play from Grier, but what I saw of Harris last year I was none too impressed. Maybe it was all due to Muschamp ball, but I wasn't happy with his play irregardless. I wont be upset if its Harris, I will just be surprised because I think Grier fits the mold better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.