Memorial Day, remember the fallen

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
This is one of the reasons I listen to bluegrass - they haven't forgotten.
Thanks to all the fallen and
Thank you Dad for your service - I'll see you again someday

This was written by Tom T Hall

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
tomb-of-unknown-soldier-usa-1%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

1. How many steps does the guard take during his
walk across the tomb of the Unknowns
and why?

21 steps:
It alludes to the twenty-one gun salute which
is the highest honor given any military or foreign
dignitary.

2. How long does he hesitate after his about face
to begin his return walk and why?

21 seconds for the same reason as answer number 1

3. Why are his gloves wet?

His gloves are moistened to prevent his losing his grip on the rifle.

4. Does he carry his rifle on the same shoulder all the time and, if
not, why not?

He carries the rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb. After his march across the path, he executes an about face and moves the rifle to the outside shoulder.

5. How often are the guards changed?

Guards are changed every thirty minutes, twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year.

6. What are the physical traits of the guard limited to?

For a person to apply for guard duty at the tomb, he must be between 5' 10' and 6' 2' tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30.
They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty for the rest of their lives. They cannot swear in public for the
rest of their lives and cannot disgrace the
uniform or the tomb in any way.

After two years, the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400 presently worn. The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up the wreath pin.

The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat and cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as
they come to a halt.

There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty in front of a full-length mirror.

The first six months of duty a guard cannot talk to anyone nor
watch TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery .A guard must memorize who they are and where they are interred. Among the notables are:

President Taft,
Joe Lewis {the boxer}
Medal of Honor winner Audie L. Murphy, the most decorated soldier of WWII and of Hollywood fame.

Every guard spends five hours a day getting his uniforms ready for guard duty..

ETERNAL REST GRANT THEM O LORD AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington , DC , our US Senate/House took 2 days off with anticipation of the storm. On the ABC evening news, it was reported that because of
the dangers from the hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir!" Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded
to a service person. The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

God Bless and keep them. We can be very proud of our men and women in the service no matter where they serve.

450x300_q95.jpg

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is one of the reasons I listen to bluegrass - they haven't forgotten.
Thanks to all the fallen and
Thank you Dad for your service - I'll see you again someday

This was written by Tom T Hall

Impressive song. Shared it with my dad. He plans to share with his buddies at the watering hole tomorrow during their cookout. Vast majority are Air Force retirees.

Also Tom T Hall is one of my all time favorites.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

and why?

21 steps:
dignitary.

not, why not?

He carries the rifle on the shoulder away from the tomb. After his march across the path, he executes an about face and moves the rifle to the outside shoulder.

Guards are changed every thirty minutes, twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year.

For a person to apply for guard duty at the tomb, he must be between 5' 10' and 6' 2' tall and his waist size cannot exceed 30.
They must commit 2 years of life to guard the tomb, live in a barracks under the tomb, and cannot drink any alcohol on or off duty for the rest of their lives. They cannot swear in public for the

After two years, the guard is given a wreath pin that is worn on their lapel signifying they served as guard of the tomb. There are only 400 presently worn. The guard must obey these rules for the rest of their lives or give up the wreath pin.

The shoes are specially made with very thick soles to keep the heat and cold from their feet. There are metal heel plates that extend to the top of the shoe in order to make the loud click as
they come to a halt.

There are no wrinkles, folds or lint on the uniform. Guards dress for duty in front of a full-length mirror.

watch TV. All off duty time is spent studying the 175 notable people laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery .A guard must memorize who they are and where they are interred. Among the notables are:

President Taft,
Joe Lewis {the boxer}
Medal of Honor winner Audie L. Murphy, the most decorated soldier of WWII and of Hollywood fame.

In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington , DC , our US Senate/House took 2 days off with anticipation of the storm. On the ABC evening news, it was reported that because of
the dangers from the hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir!" Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded
to a service person. The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

God Bless and keep them. We can be very proud of our men and women in the service no matter where they serve.

450x300_q95.jpg
I have read this before and it is definitely worth reading again, and again, and again.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

and why?

21 steps:
dignitary.

not, why not?

they come to a halt.

President Taft,
Joe Lewis {the boxer}

450x300_q95.jpg

It is an amazing thing to witness, the changing of the guard, etc. It is also sickening as hell to see how many tourist ****ers are completely disrespectful. Do you think those guarding the tomb care? Think again.....

[media][/media]

[media][/media]

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is an amazing thing to witness, the changing of the guard, etc. It is also sickening as hell to see how many tourist ****ers are completely disrespectful. Do you think those guarding the tomb care? Think again.....

[media][/media]

[media][/media]

Good for them expecting others to respect those who are interred.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Patriotic risk needs elevating to proper respect. Shame on the movement afoot to erode national pride.
God bless the spirits of all who have sacrificed and especially those forever wounded by the war-death
of their loved ones. And I pray we'll soon rebound from the imposed shame recent politicos have blanketed
this Nation with.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
There are times when the deep-rooted love of country and freedom wells up from within and expresses itself in the form of silent tears. A raising of the flag to billow in a soft wind... a missing-man fly-over of
F-15s... a well sung national anthem... the passing of a flag-draped coffin ... an old, withering WWII vet telling his stories. Memorial Day is one of those times.

My deepest gratitude and tears to all those and their loved ones who sacrificed life and limb in defense of freedom.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

[media][/media]

[media][/media]

Gives one chills watching those ceremonies and the respect the soldiers convey.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I need to amend my previous post, because it was too focused on service, which is really more appropriate for Veterans Day...

Remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and the beloved families they left behind.

And thanks everyone for the great posts in this topic. The Tomb guards are an incredible group of Americans.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I need to amend my previous post, because it was too focused on service, which is really more appropriate for Veterans Day...

Remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and the beloved families they left behind.

And thanks everyone for the great posts in this topic. The Tomb guards are an incredible group of Americans.

Correct but its always ok to show appreciation for someones service.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm writing this in my native tongue, English and not German or Japanese because of the Sacrifice of thousands of American Hero's!

Thanks and God Bless the United States of America.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, but in my opinion both the families who have lost soldiers and those soldiers who have returned bear tremendous amounts. I've heard many vets talk about feeling guilty for returning while they lost members of their units, truly family members, while deployed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, but in my opinion both the families who have lost soldiers and those soldiers who have returned bear tremendous amounts. I've heard many vets talk about feeling guilty for returning while they lost members of their units, truly family members, while deployed.

Amen Law. And what better feelings of self-worth we owe them instead of what Obama, Hillary, and Kerry
broadcast publicly that denigrates patriotism... bravo patriotism in deed not in politico-babble.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
"The season was on the brink and a couple of days before the Gators took on Texas A&M at Florida Field, Coach Ellenson wrote a letter about this desperate night in December of 1944 to inspire and motivate his team.

Here is the letter:

Dear _____ :

It's late at night. The offices are all quiet and everyone has finally gone home. Once again my thoughts turn to you all.

The reason I feel I have something to say to you is because what need now more than anything else is a little guidance and maybe a little starch for your backbone. You are still youngsters and unknowingly, you have not steeled yourselves for the demanding task of 60 full minutes of exertion required to master a determined opponent. This sort of exertion takes two kinds of hardness. Physical, which is why you are pushed hard in practice-and mental, which comes only from having to meet adversity and whipping it.

Now all of us have adversity-different kinds maybe-but adversity. Just how we meet these troubles determines how solid a foundation we are building our life on; and just how many of you stand together to face our team adversity will determine how solid a foundation our team has built for the rest of the season.

No one cruises along without problems. It isn't easy to earn your way through college on football scholarship. It isn't easy to do what is expected of you by the academic and the athletic. It isn't easy to remain fighting when others are curling around you or when your opponent seems to be getting stronger while you seem to be getting weaker. It isn't easy to continue good work when others don't appreciate what you're doing. It isn't easy to go hard when bedeviled by aches, pains and muscle sprains. It isn't easy to rise up when you are down. The pure facts of life are that nothing is easy. You only get what you earn and there isn't such a thing as "something for nothing." When you truly realize this-then and only then will you begin to whip your adversities.

If you'll bear with a little story, I'll try to prove my point. One midnight, January 14, l945, six pitiful American soldiers were hanging onto a small piece of high ground in a forest somewhere near Bastogne, Belgium. This high ground had been the objective of an attack launched by 1,000 men that morning. Only these six made it. The others had been turned back, wounded, lost or killed in action. These grimy, cruddy six men were all that were left of a magnificent thrust of 1,000 men. They hadn't had any sleep other than catnaps for over 72 hours. The weather was cold enough to freeze the water in their canteens. They had no entrenching tools, no radio, no food-only ammunition and adversity. Twice a good-sized counter attack had been launched by the enemy, only to be beaten back because of the dark and some pretty fair grenade heaving.

The rest of the time there were incessant mortars falling in the general area and the trees made for dreaded tree bursts, which scatter shrapnel like buckshot. The attackers were beginning to sense the location of the six defenders. Then things began to happen. First, a sergeant had a chunk of shrapnel tear into his hip. Then a corporal went into shock and started sobbing.

After more than six hours of the constant mortar barrage and two close counter attacks, and no food since maybe the day before yesterday, this was some first-class adversity. Then another counter attack, this one making it to the small position. Hand-to-hand fighting is a routine military expression. I have not the imagination to tell you what this is really like. A man standing up to fight with a shattered hip bone, saliva frothing at his mouth, gouging, lashing with a bayonet, even strangling with his bare hands. The lonesome five fought (the corporal was out of his mind) until the attackers quit.

Then the mortars began again. All this time the route to the rear lay open, but never did this little group take the road back. As early dawn a full company of airborne troopers relieved this tiny force. It still wasn't quite light yet. One of the group, a lieutenant, picked up the sergeant with the broken hip and carried him like a baby. The other led the incoherent corporal like a dog on a leash. The other two of the gallant six lay dead in the snow. It took hours for this strange little group to get back to where they had started from 24 hours earlier. They were like ghosts returning. The lieutenant and one remaining healthy sergeant, after 10 hours of sleep and a hot meal, were sent on a mission 12 miles behind the German lines and helped make the link that closed the Bulge.

Today, two of the faithful six lay in Belgium graves, one is a career army man, and one is a permanent resident of the army hospital for the insane in Texas, one is a stiff-legged repairman in Ohio, and one is an assistant football coach at the University of Florida.

This story is no documentary or self-indulgence. It was told to you only to show you that whatever you find adverse now, others before you have had as bad or worse and still hung on to do the job. Many of you are made of exactly the same stuff as the six men in the story, yet you haven't pooled your collective guts to present a united fight for a full 60 minutes. Your egos are a little shook-so what? Nothing good can come from moping about it. Cheer up and stand up. Fight an honest fight, square off in front of your particular adversity and whip it. You'll be a better man for it, and the next adversity won't be so tough. Breaking training now is complete failure to meet your problems. Quitting the first time is the hardest-it gets easier the second time and so forth.

I'd like to see a glint in your eye Saturday about 2 p.m. with some real depth to it-not just a little lip service-not just a couple of weak hurrahs and down the drain again, but some real steel-some real backbone and 60 full fighting minutes. Then and only then will you be on the road to becoming a real man. The kind you like to see when you shave every morning.

As in most letters, I'd like to close by wishing you well and leave you with this one thought. "Self-pity is a roommate with cowardice." Stay away from feeling sorry for yourself. The wins and losses aren't nearly as important as what kind of man you become. I hope I've given you something to think about-and remember, somebody up there still loves you.

Sincerely,

Gene Ellenson

The aftermath: General Patton pinned a Bronze Star and a Silver Star on Coach Ellenson’s chest. He would win another Silver Star for bravery as Patton and the Third Army advanced into Germany. As for the ball game, inspired by Coach Ellenson’s letter, the Gators stomped Texas A&M, 42-6, and went on to beat a great Pen State team in the Gator Bowl."

http://www.scout.com/college/florida/story/1673728-franz-beard-s-thoughts-of-the-day-may-30

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Best-Memorial-Day-Quotes-and-Sayings-1.png

To those who served and the friends and families who sacrificed so they could, thank you.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice. May God Bless them and keep them, always.

Alex.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 3127

http://navyseals.com/nsw/james-suh/

James Suh was a U.S.-born citizen of Korean immigrants. He excelled in math at the University of Florida but decided to join the Navy when he graduated.

RIP
Suh was one of 16 troops killed when a MH-47 Chinook helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan on June 28, on a daring daylight mission to reinforce an outnumbered four-man SEAL reconnaissance squad in 8,000-foot mountainous terrain.

Suh, seven other SEALs, and eight Army commandos died in their heroic attempt to rescue their fellow SEALs. LT Michael Murphy, Matthew Axelson, and Danny Dietz fought on courageously and were killed in the firefight against overwhelming Taliban forces.

A total of 11 SEALs died that day in the War against Terror, in the biggest single loss of life for Naval Special Warfare forces since World War II. To a man, they embodied the Navy’s core Honor, Courage and Commitment, and took care of their teammates to the end.

James Suh is remembered with the greatest respect and gratitude by his fellow SEALs, the Navy, and our nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.