Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta) nearly ready to host college football’s biggest events

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mercedes-Benz Stadium nearly ready to host college football’s biggest events

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/mercedes-benz-stadium

ATLANTA — When SEC Country visited the burgeoning Mercedes-Benz Stadium last August, it was a skeleton. But just three months before the most anticipated college football game in recent memory, the facility is getting close to being a fully operational battle station.

There have been plenty of delays in recent months, but things are starting to round into shape. The outer lining of the stadium is nearly complete, which makes for an impressive display while driving through downtown Atlanta.

Additionally, the retractable roof — which caused issues — is back on track. The shocking 58-foot, 360-degree video board is about halfway complete in the upper ring of the stadium.

The progress points to an official Aug. 26 opening, in time for an Atlanta Falcons NFL preseason game.

“Everything is in great shape,” said Mike Egan, senior vice president at AMB Group. “It’s in an outstanding position to be done in time for our opening.”

Mercedes-Benz-Stadium-Before-After_aal9f0.jpg

Mercedes-Benz Stadium in August 2016 vs. June 2017
While Atlanta sports fans are the greatest beneficiaries of the behemoth, SEC fans are not far behind. Alabama and Florida State will take the field on Sept. 2 as part of the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Classic. It will be the first major regular-season game played at the stadium, not to mention one of the most anticipated nonconference college football games in recent memory. The teams could rank Nos. 1 and 2 in preseason polls.

The SEC Championship Game will also move to Mercedes-Benz in 2017, and stay through at least 2026. There are also two more five-year options that could push the contract through 2036. The game added more than $1 billion to Atlanta’s economy since moving to the city in 1994, so it won’t be moving any time soon.

College football then comes to the stadium for its national championship game in 2018. The Super Bowl follows in 2019. One year later, the NCAA Tournament’s Final Four will be staged in Atlanta. The stadium’s opening run is unmatched.

RELATED: Mercedes-Benz Stadium set to deliver SEC fans unparalleled experience

But while getting the events is significant, the stadium must deliver the goods. That will not be an issue for the $1.5 billion project, which draws on national influences to help provide a unique experience for fans.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank’s team thought of everything. For the SEC Championship Game and national title game, there will be retractable seating that pushes the capacity from 71,000 to 75,000. There are twice as many stairs and escalators, 65 percent more points of sale and 32 percent more toilets than the Georgia Dome.

Much ado has been made about the fan-first pricing menu, but for good reason. Hot dogs, pretzels and sodas will go for just $2 — that includes tax and unlimited self-service refills. Domestic beer is just $5. Waffle fries, nachos, pizza and peanuts are just $3.

Big difference in the cost of food in the new @AtlantaFalcons stadium & at JerryWorld for a #Cowboys game… @NBCDFW pic.twitter.com/zoxWklHlSH

— Pat Doney (@PatDoneyNBC5) May 16, 2016

However, the pricing model does not just limit itself to the stadium staples. Even the premium food options will be affordable relative to stadium food. Staff proudly proclaimed that no item in the stadium will cost more than $12. That’s a big deal, especially considering that Mercedes-Benz Stadium features favorites from barbecue to Southern cooking to The Varsity. There will not be a stadium markup.

The WI-FI connectivity will be tremendous with even more room for growth. Mercedes-Benz is one of the first stadiums in the world to use a fully fiber network. At this time, Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., is the biggest fiber network in the NFL. It has about 400 miles of fiber. Mercedes-Benz will have 4,000 miles of fiber.

Even the location is impeccable. There are 10,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of the stadium. Four public train stops will help lower congestion. The Falcons partnered with Uber to create designated pickup and drop-off zones. The hope is getting to the game will be easier than ever, especially in the downtown of a major city. That will be especially important for college football’s biggest matchups. Many fans travel from all over the country to watch the SEC championship game.

Mike Gomes, senior vice president of fan experience, emphasized that the stadium will not cater to just NFL fans. Instead, the entire space will blend seamlessly from a Falcons game to an Atlanta United soccer game and any other event — including SEC games.

“If we say we are fan-first, we want to be able to prove it in everything we do,” Gomes said.

After its construction in 1992, the Georgia Dome helped draw major events to Atlanta. That included the Super Bowl, NCAA basketball championship and Olympic events.

However, Egan believes Mercedes-Benz Stadium could have three times that effect. Eventually, he anticipates the state of Georgia will use it to compete for more Super Bowls, national championship games and a host of other events.

“This is the finest sports stadium in the world,” Egan said.

A rendering of the field as it will be set up for the SEC title game. (AMB Sports)

The statue of a falcon outside Mercedes-Benz Stadium is the largest free-standing bird statue in the world.

Installation has begun on the massive 58-foot “Halo Board.” It will be a 360-degree screen.

There will be an open area when entering the concourse. There could eventually be standing room tickets sold there.

HauntedGator

Dec 14, 2016
Thats a beautiful stadium and I like the food prices being very reasonably set. When I go to the SEC Championship it should be great!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thats a beautiful stadium and I like the food prices being very reasonably set. When I go to the SEC Championship it should be great!

Agree on the concessions prices. That's great. In DC they are charging $12-15 for a beer! WTF???

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Something in the water up there. My friends say the new braves stadium has cheep concessions as well.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A rendering of the field as it will be set up for the SEC title game. (AMB Sports)

.... so nearly every post-season that thing molts?

Mercedes-Benz-Stadium-Before-After_aal9f0.jpg

... looks like they covered all the angles.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Looks kinda like those folded paper thingies chicks used to make in the 80's.

hqdefault.jpg

fortune-teller-paper.png

Alex.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Should be renewing my seats in June for the SECC game. Hope that having seats since 1995 helps my cause. On the preliminary map the SEC has set up, both sets of fans from both schools allotment of tix will be sitting in the same end of the stadium, not in opposite ends like the Georgia Dome. That could lead to some interesting security issues.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Listen up MoFo's! This stadium looks BAD ASS rising up in the air! I'm pumped and can't wait to see the finished product. Oh, by the way, I'll be in this stadium in February 2019 for the Super Bowl!!!
#bucketlist

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.