Michigan Spring Practice at IMG - SEC in Full Panic

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I still think this is more fluff than substance and folks are doing exactly what Harbaugh wants which is squawking about nothing. I actually believe Finebaum got it right when I heard him rip into the SEC about acknowledging the move and feeding into Harbaugh. He can't have contact with recruits, I would be surprised if the practices are open. But as long as we (and coaches, SEC, etal) are bemoaning it, Michigan looks relevant and free pub.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think this is a brilliant move by Harbaugh. It should not be allowed by the NCAA, but while it is he is smart to do it.

I definitely think it gives him an unfair recruiting advantage to have spring practice on a HS campus where recruits are. If this was done at a community college or something...fine, but doing it on a HS campus should not be allowed by NCAA.
IMG is not really a high school campus...they were a training facility long before they were a "high school" They don't compete for state titles so there is really nothing wrong with it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Perhaps if Michigan hadn't run through us like bad burrito through my colon after a night of heavy drinking this wouldn't be such a concern.....

While that stings, I don't think it is a factor in this. It would be a factor in UF btching about it, perhaps. But the SEC as a whole doesn't care who beat UF in the most recent bowl game.

If it were North Dakota State looking to hold a 'Spring Break' practice at IMG, I believe it would still be causing a stir of headlines. That Michigan, and Harbaugh in particular, are the ones leading the effort, only makes it louder and more visible. But the precedent being set is the point. As mentioned, Alabama and a lot of other places are dying to hold practices in Florida to help their recruiting. Conferences aren't aligned on rules governing this (SEC has to stay in-state, B10 doesn't, PAC12 and B12 and ACC rules are ...???).

If allowed, and I could see that happening if the Power5 separate further from the nCAA and make their own rules, it will create a wider gap between the haves and have nots. Even within the Power5, schools with the larger budgets that can support these activities will get better recruiting classes as opposed to programs like Vandy or Minnesota. It makes money an even bigger factor in shaping the landscape of football.

What would be interesting is if this would generate the attention if it weren't being discussed in Florida. I think the 'precedent' argument would remain up front for any fertile recruiting state like FL, GA, TX, Cali, etc. But if a D1 school like MN were to try and pull this - put it in WISC, you'd have WISC pitching a fit but nobody else would care. If MN tried to hold it in Idaho, Boise would have a fit....maybe...but nobody else would care.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
While that stings, I don't think it is a factor in this. It would be a factor in UF btching about it, perhaps. But the SEC as a whole doesn't care who beat UF in the most recent bowl game.
If you don't think what happens on the field matters to these 17 and 18 year old kids you're crazy. I said it right after the FSU game and I'll say it again now, Had we beat FSU we would have had the #1 recruiting class in the country. Instead we did absolutely nothing in front of about 40 of the top HS players in the country that night....The bowl game disaster was just icing on the cake and nobody can tell me that the air in the recruiting balloon didn't go rushing out after the humiliation of that ass kicking set in....If Michigan shows up here this spring it will be to further rub our noses in the huge pile of dung they dropped on our head.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
If you don't think what happens on the field matters to these 17 and 18 year old kids you're crazy. I said it right after the FSU game and I'll say it again now, Had we beat FSU we would have had the #1 recruiting class in the country. Instead we did absolutely nothing in front of about 40 of the top HS players in the country that night....The bowl game disaster was just icing on the cake and nobody can tell me that the air in the recruiting balloon didn't go rushing out after the humiliation of that ass kicking set in....If Michigan shows up here this spring it will be to further rub our noses in the huge pile of dung they dropped on our head.

No question that our late season failure effected our recruiting momentum. But one can argue for every kid that said "UF lost, I'll go to a winner" you had kids saying "UF just needs a few more pieces, and I can be the difference maker". Did F$U's bowl loss hurt their recruiting? Doesn't appear so. Do you think ANY of the other SEC schools have the UF-MICH bowl beat down in their mind when they are expressing concern over MICH holding a spring camp at IMG? Yes the loss hurts in the minds of recruits, it is not part of the mindset of the SEC or it's universities when protecting their recruiting turf.

Which thread are you in? This one is about the SEC not wanting Michigan (or anyone else) holding camps outside their state, per SEC rules...which the others currently don't follow. This thread is about the SEC, not UF, having issue with it. This thread is about precedent of changing how schools can have contact with HS kids. Where do you fit bowl game results into that topic?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No question that our late season failure effected our recruiting momentum. But one can argue for every kid that said "UF lost, I'll go to a winner" you had kids saying "UF just needs a few more pieces, and I can be the difference maker". Did F$U's bowl loss hurt their recruiting? Doesn't appear so. Do you think ANY of the other SEC schools have the UF-MICH bowl beat down in their mind when they are expressing concern over MICH holding a spring camp at IMG? Yes the loss hurts in the minds of recruits, it is not part of the mindset of the SEC or it's universities when protecting their recruiting turf.

Which thread are you in? This one is about the SEC not wanting Michigan (or anyone else) holding camps outside their state, per SEC rules...which the others currently don't follow. This thread is about the SEC, not UF, having issue with it. This thread is about precedent of changing how schools can have contact with HS kids. Where do you fit bowl game results into that topic?

I agree with Crete to a certain extent. The Michigan and FSU losses were humiliating losses. The FSU bowl loss that you bring up was not of the same ilk.

Our defenses gave up in both games and our offenses were completely nonexistent. Let's not get started on special teams.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm in the thread that says I don't give a rats azz about the rest of the SEC...I just don't want Michigan coming in here taking what's left of the in state talent from UF because they certainly look like a much better option after smacking us around a couple of months prior.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
While I could care less what Michigan does, I do find it strange that the NCAA allows this. Maybe I missed it, but I assume that UM would have to be on spring break during this time so they are not missing class? Do they normally practice during spring break at UM? It seems like that would be breaking some type of contact rule. Clearly they will be eating/ sleeping football with no normal campus life to worry about.
Someone mentioned earlier that the SEC has a rule against this. Too bad, it would be funny to see a SEC school ask UM to use their indoor facility during that week to have some northern recruits visit during that week. I'm not sure the talent up there would be worth the money spent though.
This also makes it worse for schools who frown upon paying players. If you can go blow money on transportation, food and room and board for well over 100 people for a week it makes you look financially irresponsible.
UM should be careful what they wish for. If the SEC overturn their rule don't be surprised if you see Alabama packing up to go practice with Bill Belichick for a week. Or having a week of practice in Madison Square Garden.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I agree that FSU game hurt our recruiting especially instate recruiting. I don't know how much the Citrus Bowl hurt, it really is a low level bowl at this point. Not a BCS or Playoff Bowl game with no other games competing against it. The fact that our offense was horrible in the FSU game and the SEC Championship game which I think also played a bigger role than the Bowl Game (also national televised, only game at the time) in recruiting. It showed a inept offense and a defense which wore down.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They are apparently not afraid to get in the arms race.

images

I agree that FSU game hurt our recruiting especially instate recruiting. I don't know how much the Citrus Bowl hurt, it really is a low level bowl at this point.
Don't kid yourself. We were desperately trying to land the two LBs that Meatchicken grabbed and a couple of others. Meatchicken rocketed past us in recruiting and Harbaugh has the "program on the rise" label that we are missing.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No they are not. And honestly it's a drop in the bucket to secure big bowl bids.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Greg McElroy pointed out today that there is a 20 hour limit per week to football related activities during the school year. He wonders if this applies during spring break. If it does, what are they going to do with the extra time there? It's a recruiting dead period, so they can't talk to HS kids. Also, if they spending time with the HS coaches that could be fringing a violation. This is a slippery slope that could backfire on Kacki Pants.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This presence of big-time CFB at the IMG locale will have a placee-baugh effect on
youngsters that increases the consideration of UM as a top-3 program to aspire to.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
:panic::suicide::suicide2:

C'mob down meatchicken. Bring your chronic with you. Plenty of free time to party and have run-ins with LE. Maybe you'll get to stay in F-L-A a little longer than you anticipated. BTW you aren't a real man unless you successfully balcony jump above the 10th floor. Tip: It gets easier after 8-10 beers.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF needs to post pics of Columbus and Ann Arbor every day in the fall, winter and spring. Not that first day of snow pic, that might be alluring to a kid from Fla, but the shytty slushy brown snow and salt, cars in ditches stuff. We should also install a refrigerator with a "It's this cold in Ann Arbor or Columbus" experience. These kids don't even understand not seeing the sun for three or four months.

There's a reason people from Michigan and Ohio move to Florida as so they can after they retire.
. Not saying that I want to live there and I absolutely despise anything to do wth OSU. But, Columbus is actually a nice small city. Very clean and lots to do. And close to Cedar Point Amusement Park which has the most roller coasters in he US. Possibly the world. It's not as bad as we make it out to be for sure. Spent almost two full weeks there on business about ten years ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Not saying that I want to live there and I absolutely despise anything to do wth OSU. But, Columbus is actually a nice small city. Very clean and lots to do. And close to Cedar Point Amusement Park which has the most roller coasters in he US. Possibly the world. It's not as bad as we make it out to be for sure. Spent almost two full weeks there on business about ten years ago.
Cedar Point is on the other side of Cleveland and nearly to Toledo. It isn't close. It's like saying Gainesville is nice because of Six Flags.

You were there a decade ago. I live too close and spend a significant amount of time there. A decade ago it may have been nicer. It's now a ****hole. I won't bother on an open forum with the cultural changes primarily responsible. Only having its ugly sisters Cleveland and Toledo nearby make it look even moderately interesting. You couldn't get me to move there for three times the income.

You obviously also didn't get to experience a gray, midwestern winter. You'd be praying to see the sun again in three weeks. It wouldn't help though.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Greg McElroy pointed out today that there is a 20 hour limit per week to football related activities during the school year. He wonders if this applies during spring break. If it does, what are they going to do with the extra time there? It's a recruiting dead period, so they can't talk to HS kids. Also, if they spending time with the HS coaches that could be fringing a violation. This is a slippery slope that could backfire on Kacki Pants.

I thought the same thing Phan. Let them come on down and have all that free time on their hands. Maybe GPD can loan some officers to help patrol the town. With 20 hours of contact time and on a week long trip????? The whole premise of the trip is Spring Practice. Sounds like the entire trip is "football related".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.