Mick Hubert reveals spat with Butters

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
The sharkhumper was all up in his feelings.

Former Florida coach Jim McElwain spent two and a half years in Gainesville, far less time than Hubert. McElwain’s teams found success immediately, going to back-to-back SEC Championship games in his first two seasons. McElwain took advantage of a weak SEC East, and his teams weren’t particularly elite themselves.

In 2015, McElwain’s first season, the Gators had a thrilling 28-27 win over Tennessee, a game that was made closer due to the fact that Florida missed 26 tackles. You couldn’t hide it. McElwain bemoaned the missed tackles in his post-game press conference and again during his Monday media availability.

The topic was brought up again that Thursday during Gator Hotline, which was live from Piesanos Stone Fired Pizza at the time. Early on in the show, Hubert said a fan made a comment about Florida’s missed tackles that didn’t sit well with McElwain.

“He gets mad about it. Now I gotta deal with him. He’s upset for the next 45 minutes,” Hubert recalled. “We would tape the radio pregame show right after that (for Saturday). So, we finish and now I’m getting ready to do the pregame interview for the Ole Miss game.”

McElwain’s attitude didn’t change from the live radio show to the taping for the pregame show.

“I’m throwing softball questions,” Hubert said. “I’m not going in there like Mike Wallace was on 60 Minutes. But I said, ‘Hey, there’s a great matchup on the outside tonight. So, you got Laquon Treadwell against Vernon Hargreaves. That should be a good matchup.’

“He looked at me and he goes, ‘We don’t care anything about that. We don’t care about that. Whoever is over on that side, we’ll guard him.’ So, I’m thinking, ‘You could have given me a little better answer than that.’ These are two guys that are probably going to play at the NFL.”

Hubert was right. Both Hargreaves and Treadwell went on to play in the league and their 2015 matchup was talked and written about all week. Hubert carried on with the interview, moving to a topic that was on the minds of Gator Nation and something McElwain himself had already addressed.

It didn’t go well.

Hubert brought up Florida’s missed tackles, an area of concern that McElwain previously acknowledged and vowed to clean up.

“I said, ‘Coach, you mentioned last week we had a number of missed tackles. I’m sure you’re working diligently this week in practice about shoring up the tackling,” Hubert said. “And he looked at me and he gives one of these (a tongue-in-cheek gesture) and he goes, ‘Yeah, you’re just like the rest of ’em.’ Now that set me off.”

Hubert brought up Florida’s missed tackles, an area of concern that McElwain previously acknowledged and vowed to clean up.

“I said, ‘Coach, you mentioned last week we had a number of missed tackles. I’m sure you’re working diligently this week in practice about shoring up the tackling,” Hubert said. “And he looked at me and he gives one of these (a tongue-in-cheek gesture) and he goes, ‘Yeah, you’re just like the rest of ’em.’ Now that set me off.”

Nonetheless, Hubert remained calm and professional on air. He waited until the recording was over before responding to McElwain.

“I finish the interview and it’s like steam coming out of my ears. ‘You’re just like the rest of them’, meaning all the media,” Hubert recalled. “And so, we got done and I hit the stop button on the recorder. I stood up and he stood up. It was like, Earl Weaver with an umpire. We were this close. And I said, ‘What are you talking about? My job is to make you look good.’

“That’s all I’ve ever done. That’s all I’ve ever done for 25-plus years as the voice of the Gators. I said, ‘You treat me like I’m a 19-year-old intern.’ And then we got into it. One of his assistants, I saw the door open and she snuck out. She got out of there. So, me and him were going at it. But that led to me no longer doing that show.”

After that exchange, Hubert went to former UF executive associate AD for external affairs Mike Hill (now the AD at Charlotte) and told him they had to find someone else to do the radio show with McElwain. Florida baseball broadcaster and former pitcher Jeff Cardozo took over as the host until this year, with the new Voice of the Gators Sean Kelly interviewing first-year coach Billy Napier every Monday.

“That’s the only time I ever got into it with any of the coaches,” Hubert said of the McElwain incident. “I had a great relationship with all of them, including the basketball coaches, the baseball coaches. That’s the thing, if you ask me what I miss the most, is just being around those kinds of people.”

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad Mick didn't take any shyt off of him. Butters was an absolute shyt show among with the others. Mick is a class act and glad he didn't let that azzhat get away with it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Butters couldn’t handle the pressure even in a kiss-ass interview designed to make him look good. What a tool.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Dude was a giant Di.. from day one. He's lucky Fred didn't curb stomp his ass for the way he chewed his son out on the sideline for basically nothing.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I heard Mick on the WRUF show yesterday with Russell. He was saying how Jeremy basically got him hired at UF. It was great listening to him recall his career. It was pointed out he was probably the only play by play guy at a univ. that did a national title game in all of the big three sports.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If they don't win at Akron tomorrow, there's a good chance CMU loses the table and goes 1-11. Their only win so far is against FCS Bucknell.

Serves the cocksucker right.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yet another example of the total dysfunction within the program that morons like Fat Dooley were either unaware of or in total denial about while lecturing the gator nation about being negative about everything.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Shoulda said “WTF is wrong with you, Butters?!” and put that on the show.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just a reminder that Foley zeroed in on this tool, spent a weekend at his house somehow oblivious to his hygiene and presentation issues, couldn’t detect the thin skinned nature of his personality, and left there not only dead set on hiring him but willing to pay his buyout to do so. We lash out at the guy who belongs as a produce manager at Winn Dixie, but “honor” the guy that’s responsible for us even knowing who he is.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Insecure, thin skinned but otherwise very unsure of himself. That was Beta Butters.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Insecure, thin skinned but otherwise very unsure of himself. That was Beta Butters.

Fall backwards into a completely undeserved win against Uk, where they manage to not cover one of our WRs not once but twice and get a 10 yard holding penalty that’s the difference on the final FG to beat us, and the guy acts like we win the NC and is above being questioned. His postgame Lsu 2016 presser is a must see.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fall backwards into a completely undeserved win against Uk, where they manage to not cover one of our WRs not once but twice and get a 10 yard holding penalty that’s the difference on the final FG to beat us, and the guy acts like we win the NC and is above being questioned. His postgame Lsu 2016 presser is a must see.

Certain questions ought to be answered during a thorough interview process. Such as, how often did he beat his wife? Did he leave the hubcaps on his car during high school? Evidently Foley failed to examine all the basics.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Certain questions ought to be answered during a thorough interview process. Such as, how often did he beat his wife? Did he leave the hubcaps on his car during high school? Evidently Foley failed to examine all the basics.

1665757816232.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.