MLB Kenney Britt

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I was really hoping that we would have brought in either Quarterman or Bush. From what I have read, Quarterman has been outstanding in camp. I hope that we can bring in this kid from Bama but I'd really like to see us stock up with linebackers from Florida.

Bush was FSU bound till Mich came calling...

No idea what went on with Quartermen...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So you don't like the way he looks? Recruiting wise he did pick up some backers that look to be the part with Moon, etc....

It's not like we need a super recruiter DC...we need super recruiter position coaches...Shannon isn't doing **** either but I dont see the complaints on him...

Gray: Good recruiter
Rumph: Good recruiter
Shannon: Meh

Shannon is utter crap in recruiting. But our linebackers looked fantastic under him.

Moon was a great pick up.

Historically our defensive coordinators have been great recruiters. Hell, even our defensive minded HCs in Zook and Chump. We had nobody who could recruit on the defensive side of the ball in the last class except maybe Rumph. Gray looks to fill that gap significantly.

How the hell is Nord still here?

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Dude, Marshall ad Duke skunked our azzes by taking better MLBs OUT OF FLORIDA last year. Please. Just stop. You look silly.

I dont blame the kids. I wouldnt want to play for our azzwipe DC either.

Yeah... this is a swing and a miss buddy.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Shannon is utter crap in recruiting. But our linebackers looked fantastic under him.

Moon was a great pick up.

Historically our defensive coordinators have been great recruiters. Hell, even our defensive minded HCs in Zook and Chump. We had nobody who could recruit on the defensive side of the ball in the last class except maybe Rumph. Gray looks to fill that gap significantly.

How the hell is Nord still here?

Nord and Summer's should be the next to get booted...

I get it; the question is what do you want more? A DC who can recruit or a good scheme? Rarely you get both and normally those who do both aren't around long enough as they get HC jobs quickly...

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

This. So many here didn't care that Shannon is a caine. Most were thrilled that he was going to lock down all the south Florida talent. Well, THAT hasn't happened... With all the bashing going on, how is this guy getting a free pass?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think he looks ridiculous and he cannot recruit for crap. I don't know scheme wise. Maybe we'll have a better idea now that the Callahan infection has been eradicated.

The only thing I like about Collins is that he on occasion brings the 5th guy. He still plays wayyyyy too much zone for my taste.
Quinn usually wanted to pressure with just four, but when we did blitz it was disguised well. Think the opening play against SC
in 2012, or the Mccray pick against Tenn that year. With Collins it's pretty much what you see is what you get, and if our gay makes
a play it usually has nothing to do with scheme.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
The only thing I like about Collins is that he on occasion brings the 5th guy. He still plays wayyyyy too much zone for my taste.
Quinn usually wanted to pressure with just four, but when we did blitz it was disguised well. Think the opening play against SC
in 2012, or the Mccray pick against Tenn that year. With Collins it's pretty much what you see is what you get, and if our gay makes
a play it usually has nothing to do with scheme.

I don't like going to zone on less than 3 and 10....

I do however like playing a little bit of zone...you can't play man an entire game and expect coaches not to gameplan around it....'paging chimp'

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nord and Summer's should be the next to get booted...

I get it; the question is what do you want more? A DC who can recruit or a good scheme? Rarely you get both and normally those who do both aren't around long enough as they get HC jobs quickly...

But we have a DC that can't recruit and has a $hitty scheme. Talent was the reason it looked as well as it did last year.... his scheme is predictable, and only worked in Mississippi State for the same reason Muschamps gross numbers looked great at UF... ball control offense, so they weren't on the field for extended periods.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
But we have a DC that can't recruit and has a $hitty scheme. Talent was the reason it looked as well as it did last year.... his scheme is predictable, and only worked in Mississippi State for the same reason Muschamps gross numbers looked great at UF... ball control offense, so they weren't on the field for extended periods.

Dude we were top 10 in defense in every category until the defense had to be on the field at all times...

What kind of scheme are you wanting or even thinking we can implement when you have no serviceable LB's because they are either injured or failed in recruiting?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dude we were top 10 in defense in every category until the offense had to be on the field at all times...

What kind of scheme are you wanting or even thinking we can implement when you have no serviceable LB's because they are either injured or failed in recruiting?

So how does that explain his questionable defense at Mississippi State? And the defense was great, because we had great players and a down SEC East. What offense other than the offenses that bashed our heads in was truly dominate? Ole Miss who got pounded by Memphis, Tennesse, UGA, FAU... Really who did we shut down that wasn't shut down for the simple fact we had better talent on Defense than they had on offense. What did you see out of Collins that makes you think he is great at Scheming?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like going to zone on less than 3 and 10....

I do however like playing a little bit of zone...you can't play man an entire game and expect coaches not to gameplan around it....'paging chimp'

For me it all depends on personnel. If you have great cover corners (like we have the past few seasons) the less zone the better, and I agree that mixing some zone
is a good thing. When doing this I prefer giving the corner the option to jump the shorter routes with help on their deep third. This of course depends on the opponent and their tendencies in the passing game.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
So how does that explain his questionable defense at Mississippi State? And the defense was great, because we had great players and a down SEC East. What offense other than the offenses that bashed our heads in was truly dominate? Ole Miss who got pounded by Memphis, Tennesse, UGA, FAU... Really who did we shut down that wasn't shut down for the simple fact we had better talent on Defense than they had on offense. What did you see out of Collins that makes you think he is great at Scheming?

First off, answer the question I asked; what scheme do you want to implement with the problems we have/had at LB? What could have been done differently?

Collins defense worked at keeping teams from getting 7 when he was at MSU...that's the most important thing; I don't care if you gain 900 yards on me...if im keeping you from scoring isn't that important?

We kept FSU offense in check until the 4th quarter when the defense let up...

Mich kicked our asses and was the only game I felt like our defense was out schemed...

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
For me it all depends on personnel. If you have great cover corners (like we have the past few seasons) the less zone the better, and I agree that mixing some zone
is a good thing. When doing this I prefer giving the corner the option to jump the shorter routes with help on their deep third. This of course depends on the opponent and their tendencies in the passing game.

No doubt....I don't disagree with you...gotta be careful though with having corners biting too often and getting beat on a double move or having a crossing route or a slot guy beat someone due to it...

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since most of the recruiting complaints are based on assumptions, I'm going to wait until 2017 before I decide to complain about the coaches' lack of recruiting. Sure last year it was a disappointing defensive class, but there's still lots of time to bring in a great class for this year. Hopefully in Feb there won't be much to complain about, but I'm confident that some here will find something anyways.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have issues with Collins myself. Overall, he is a decent coach but I have problems with some of his coverage choices at critical times. We could have done better. This year will likely determine his future here.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
too much f*ckin zone when you have "man/ press corners" and Morrison that was a liability in coverage.

That was my biggest complaint

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yea, mainly zone at the wrong times. He seems to fail to see what is being given sometimes but at other times he does just fine.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
At this point here's the scheming UF needs :

Get into one brainstorming room, all who recruit + the whole UF Public Relations students
and faculty + Advertising Faculty and students. Brainstorm on what could make our college most
attractive to HS football players. Copy-writers important.

Then make it an assignment-for-grade for them to produce a glossy-print Gator brochure,
featuring what's best at UF, Have recruiters hand each parent, each recruit that brochure so our
best points can linger in the homes, in the minds. Gotta be a no-lose effort.

Brochure-pamphlet can have "action"photos from our great days = Tebow's maroon streaked face yelling, Spark's stuff on Moreno, Moss up high blocking a field goal, a Dead-see of orange/blue
gang-tackling photo, that photo-capture of our entire bench launched mid-air detonation of co-joyed celebration at our DB's interception. etc. With computerized print-capture perhaps each brochure can include a photo-shopped grab of the actual recruit in a Gator-side celebration ... (too much huh?)
Still, I'd also tripod-video home visits and leave the disk with the family so they can revisit it
more times. ?? (Hell, have Law do his pitches for opposing schools, like a disked podcastration
and leave the disk so Law's posts can malinger-linger.

Gotta remember these kids are engaged 90% visually.
Let the recruits get Gator pictures in their video-game heads.

PS > just dawned on me during typing this that I am thankful for these opportunities to "talk" to
my Gator-Friends ... ain't it that way with all of us ? remember that abiding truth when we're fussing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.