More on Stricklin, Grantham

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
You realize the last 2 classes have been top 10, addressed serious needs on the OL and DL, and the 2021 class sits ranked at 1 or 2 depending on which service you believe. All of this after a 4-7 year with 7-8 years of bring football.

His recruiting isn't sexy, but it's got teeth.

Douchekey and the Dumper Posse will never realistically acknowledge that. If we had the undisputed number 1 recruiting class it would be the worst 'best class' in the history of the sport. I have grown weary of the incessant negativity that seems to be increasingly desperate as reality continues to diverge from their constant BS. We've gone from a bottom feeder program to an ascending program in two years in spite of starting an inconsistent 4 star QB who was shaky under pressure and considered damaged goods before Mullen arrived. On top of that, we also had to replace that QB with a backup who hadn't started any game of football since JV in high school and were a few plays on defense from being able to play for an SEC championship. Fans from any other school would be ecstatic with where we are but somehow our fan base has developed a douche cult that has become just as unrealistic and entitled as Alabama fans. After having lived many years in Alabama during their down period, I can assure you this is not a compliment. The fact of the matter is that Mullen was ready for this job when he took it and has done nothing but move things forward since his arrival across all aspects of the program. Anyone who says otherwise is full of Douchekey. Period.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Douchekey and the Dumper Posse will never realistically acknowledge that. If we had the undisputed number 1 recruiting class it would be the worst 'best class' in the history of the sport. I have grown weary of the incessant negativity that seems to be increasingly desperate as reality continues to diverge from their constant BS. We've gone from a bottom feeder program to an ascending program in two years in spite of starting an inconsistent 4 star QB who was shaky under pressure and considered damaged goods before Mullen arrived. On top of that, we also had to replace that QB with a backup who hadn't started any game of football since JV in high school and were a few plays on defense from being able to play for an SEC championship. Fans from any other school would be ecstatic with where we are but somehow our fan base has developed a douche cult that has become just as unrealistic and entitled as Alabama fans. After having lived many years in Alabama during their down period, I can assure you this is not a compliment. The fact of the matter is that Mullen was ready for this job when he took it and has done nothing but move things forward since his arrival across all aspects of the program. Anyone who says otherwise is full of Douchekey. Period.
Pulling us out of the gutter was great. It's getting us to the next level from here is where Mullen is going to have to prove himself.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Very passionate.
Our recruiting class ranked 6th in the SEC. Only a douche would be happy with that.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Pulling us out of the gutter was great. It's getting us to the next level from here is where Mullen is going to have to prove himself.

Fair enough, but it is usually the custom to give someone the opportunity to do so before crucifying them especially when he's done nothing but improve in every phase of the program since the day he arrived.

Over the last 2 years, Mullen has made measurable increases to the level of success on the field, in the training room (BTW, did you see the high quality physical stats of every Gator at the combine this year?), in the transfer portal, in recruiting classes, in position groups, in the character of those recruits, in player development, in the classroom, and in any other area of the program I've examined. Not only that, but he's done it in spite of major challenges that gave him a larger mountain to climb like the overall facility deficits, the higher academic standards, the lack of inherited depth at key positions which forced him to go to a backup QB who hadn't started a game in 7 years, and even the commitment to applying discipline standards despite talent levels and areas of need which certainly hasn't been as strictly enforced as stringently at some of our key rivals!

The point is that the trends are all in his favor and he has lifted the program up to levels well beyond where any of us would have expected when he was hired. Can anyone here honestly say that two years ago they would have even conceived we'd have won back to back New Years 6 bowls with top 10 rankings regardless of who was hired? Given this and all the rest of the improvements made to date, is it too much to ask that our so called fans give him the benefit of the doubt at this point? Hasn't he earned that?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
These kind of threads always lead to the same place. The OP could be Mullen and Stricklin had gay sex in the ICU at Shands. We’d still end up talking about whether we beat UGA next time around.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
These kind of threads always lead to the same place. The OP could be Mullen and Stricklin had gay sex in the ICU at Shands. We’d still end up talking about whether we beat UGA next time around.

Why were they in ICU at Shands? Don’t tell me they’ve both been infected by Coronavirus.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
First of all, we have never been a "bottom feeder program;" That's just ridiculous.
We've had some "bottom-feeder coaches" for sure, but Mullen isn't one of them.
I think we do have some coaches that aren't getting it done--particularly in recruiting--and it appears that Mullen is working to change that. We'll see.

I don't expect Mullen to make wholesale changes on his staff; he doesn't seem to have the heart for it, but he will build his staff and create competition on and off the field, so that when certain individuals are underperforming, they will be forced to either step up or move on.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Very passionate.
Our recruiting class ranked 6th in the SEC. Only a douche would be happy with that.

There are a lot of high quality kids in this class with all kinds of athletic talent and on field experience that caused them to be rated as 3 and 4 star athletes and there are enough of them to be rated 6th within the inexact 'science' of recruiting classes. They are also well distributed across almost all the remaining areas of need from the inherited gaps in position and talent Mullen was forced to start with. Beyond that the relative rating of this class will ultimately be determined by their performance on the field over the next 3-5 years. Thankfully, however, the team has been well supplemented by high level transfer talent and a pipeline of redshirt players that are stacked up to take the field so this class doesn't have to produce until they are ready. This means that their true rating, the one that truly matters, will not materialize until they've been developed to the point where Mullen and his staff believe they are ready to be the best players that they can be.

Given the way that Mullen has proven he can get the most out of the guys who fit his system, and given that his system is focused first and foremost on building character, I am willing to bet on Mullen's definition of the quality from his class because it is based on factors that extend well beyond the playing field. I therefore trust our coach's opinion over those of the ratings machines, the media pundits and especially any who are willing to be Douchekey Disciples focusing solely on what boils down to Mel Kiper amateur hour. After all, it is much wiser to follow the counsel of a guy with a proven track record for proving the worth of a player is more than what he was in high school than that of a population of pinheads who are likely daily doing their very best to prove the opposite.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
increasingly desperate as reality continues to diverge from their constant BS. .
Uh huh.

Wow, it's been nearly one coach since we had back to back 10 win seasons and nearly two coaches ago when we won 11 games right?

But Ole Option Boy is the mostest incredible coach ever, huh?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T This means that their true rating, the one that truly matters, will not materialize until they've been developed to the point where Mullen and his staff believe they are ready to be the best players that they can be.
Hmmmm... this is probably the point I love best about you McElstain and Mullinz suckers. The belief that our current 3 star whisperer is so good at developing talent that he will win it all... bc, I guess, Saban and the others have no clue how to develop talent???

We agree that ass stain Kirby Shart doesn't have a clue.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Hmmmm... this is probably the point I love best about you McElstain and Mullinz suckers. The belief that our current 3 star whisperer is so good at developing talent that he will win it all... bc, I guess, Saban and the others have no clue how to develop talent???

You are such a sad, sad Douchekey. How disturbing it must be to be so convinced of the failure of those you deem unworthy only to have them continue to rise above the expectation of even the most optimistic pumpers. It makes you so pathetic as you butcher the name of our coach and our QB like a 6 year old as you continue to struggle for explanations for this almost constant phenomenon of failed prognostication. You mention records from the last 2 coaches knowing full well of the gaps in conditioning, personnel groupings, and general culture that were forming in those situations which you also know are clearly not present in this situation. You talk of a 3 star whisperer knowing full well that there are plenty of 4 star and even 5 star athletes from some ratings services in this class (not to mention the large number of transfers who've become major contributors). You also know that Mullen and his staff are showing they are very capable 4 star whisperers as well which is a wholly different thing. Ultimately these kids are people and Mullen builds up people to grow and excel and those that embrace that opportunity have shown a clear trend toward excellence.

Will he definitely rise to the ultimate top? I honestly don't know. But I definitely like his chances because I know he will work as hard as he can to give everything he has just as he expects his team to do as he works along side of them every step of the way. That is the type of leadership that inspires the sum to be greater than the parts and, in the end, it matters not at all if you or I believe in him or his team. Instead it matters how they respond and it is pretty clear this team is devoted to him. I'll take their opinion over yours every time.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018

Who are the other coaches who know how to develop talent AND recruit better than Mullen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator