Mortgage rates

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Seems to be having the opposite effect...purchases are solidly picking up....I guess people are afraid they're gonna go even higher, but I'd advise people to wait about 3-4 months when they drop back down to 5% as the short end is about to get dumped any day now.
Perhaps, but to me people will be stretched extra thin no matter how long in lasts. I have heard thoughts this could be the start of a 30 year upswing in rates. We are coming out of a 40 year downswing? and added CC debt, etc etc. Locally maybe picking up.
Nationally I doubt it.

this is real money for most people at the end of this story.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Perhaps, but to me people will be stretched extra thin no matter how long in lasts. I have heard thoughts this could be the start of a 30 year upswing in rates. We are coming out of a 40 year downswing? and added CC debt, etc etc. Locally maybe picking up.
Nationally I doubt it.
I could be wrong here because I know just like banks balance sheets have different maturities so does the FED's but it is a hot topic even amongst the dopes in congress that even holding this rate where it is will add 2.2 trillion to debt(service) within the next few months.

Couple that with corporate refinancing which begins in mass starting in 2024-2025 and you have something that is unsustainable not only for housing but commercial RE, stocks and bonds.....something is going to give and it won't help the existing regimes cause one bit going into an election year despite their lies and having their people manipulate the numbers(check the employment revisions 3 months after they come out along with the GDP revisions).....on the corporate side remember the Trump tax cuts end in 2024 I believe.

Between the political pressure, common sense and corporate whining after their profit margins go to nil or worse(look at the R2000) there is ZERO chance rates won't start to unwind over the next 12 months.

Due to most residential RE holders being locked in to 3.5-4.0% mortgages as well as 40% owning outright, and the lack of overall inventory it's causing prices will hold up better than that of stocks and most other investments.......BUT now that prospective buyers AND sellers have seen the 8 handle 6 and below will be just too much of a dangling carrot, trust me.

One thing I've learned from being in the business is people have short memories and cannot control their urges very well.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Due to most residential RE holders being locked in to 3.5-4.0% mortgages as well as 40% owning outright, and the lack of overall inventory it's causing prices will hold up better than that of stocks and most other investments.......BUT now that prospective buyers AND sellers have seen the 8 handle 6 and below will be just too much of a dangling carrot, trust me.

One thing I've learned from being in the business is people have short memories and cannot control their urges very well.

What does this mean? "seen the 8 handle the 6 and below..."?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What does this mean? "seen the 8 handle the 6 and below..."?
Now that the headlines are screaming 8% mortgage rates when they see 6% they'll trip over themselves to try and get into a house....which in turn will push property values back up to all time highs in good markets within months.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Now that the headlines are screaming 8% mortgage rates when they see 6% they'll trip over themselves to try and get into a house....which in turn will push property values back up to all time highs in good markets within months.
Got it. Well, honestly anything at 6% or below is more than fair in the real estate world. These young people who bought their first (and maybe even second) house under 5% were living in a fantasy world. The first real estate run in the early/mid 2000's the rates were in that range the whole time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Got it. Well, honestly anything at 6% or below is more than fair in the real estate world. These young people who bought their first (and maybe even second) house under 5% were living in a fantasy world. The first real estate run in the early/mid 2000's the rates were in that range the whole time.
I agree. The lasting effects of those sub 4% 1st mortgages will have strong effects on keeping property values elevated especially in the 500K and below market. At least the smart percentage of people holding those homes will be reluctant to sell them unless they're forced to. I think the 600k and up market will actually get a bigger boost from the next rate cuts whenever that may happen since those buyers aren't quite as budget sensitive and would be more likely to give up an existing 4% rate to get into a bigger/newer home.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Kamala Harris Veep GIF by Election 2020

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Note particularly the remark toward the end of the article about INCREASED usage of FHA loans....gonna be loving that 40 year here pretty soon.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Note particularly the remark toward the end of the article about INCREASED usage of FHA loans....gonna be loving that 40 year here pretty soon.

Yep, it's inevitable - I remember when they increased car loan terms to 6 & 7 year (are there any longer than that?). A 40-year will make homes "more affordable"....and will help the housing market keep moving forward.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep, it's inevitable - I remember when they increased car loan terms to 6 & 7 year (are there any longer than that?). A 40-year will make homes "more affordable"....and will help the housing market keep moving forward.

There are 96 month terms available on particular amounts. Texas and parts of California have had 120 available for years because of the size/cost of most of the trucks needed.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There are 96 month terms available on particular amounts. Texas and parts of California have had 120 available for years because of the size/cost of most of the trucks needed.

Damn, 120 months is ridiculous. I would bet less than 20% of car owners keep a vehicle for 10+ years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Damn, 120 months is ridiculous. I would bet less than 20% of car owners keep a vehicle for 10+ years.

Like I said, that’s mostly for major farm related trucks, not individuals. But your same point could be made about 7 year financing, though that may be changing given the current climate.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

I'd never go 10 years on an auto loan. I buy new and keep it at least a minimum of 10 years. When the repairs are too annoying or costly, rinse and repeat.

Currently I have a 2013 and a 2018 in use. The 2013 is still running great with no major repairs yet, just oil and tires.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'd never go 10 years on an auto loan. I buy new and keep it at least a minimum of 10 years. When the repairs are too annoying or costly, rinse and repeat.

Currently I have a 2013 and a 2018 in use. The 2013 is still running great with no major repairs yet, just oil and tires.

The last car payment I made was in 1999. I've paid cash for every vehicle I've bought since then (the next vehicle was purchased in 2007). I'm in a 2021 now, wife is in a 2019 Honda and a 2018 Jaguar (bought used w/ 14,000 miles). I don't subscribe to everything Dave Ramsey says, but the one thing I took from him in my mid/late 20's was "rich people don't have car payments" (and to invest the "car payment" into a growth stock mutual fund - which is what I started doing in 1999 and I can point to that one thing in my financial life that turned around my view on money, saving, and building wealth).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Like I said, that’s mostly for major farm related trucks, not individuals. But your same point could be made about 7 year financing, though that may be changing given the current climate.

I can see farm equipment - such as a $100k purchase. I'm curious what people do who buy $100k RV's or $250k+ boats (hell, $100k boats).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I can see farm equipment - such as a $100k purchase. I'm curious what people do who buy $100k RV's or $250k+ boats (hell, $100k boats).

I’m talking about needing 5 F350s at a time and wanting to just mitigate the monthly costs. Not necessarily farm equipment.

No idea on boats. I would think the 250k boat guy is probably writing a check, but who knows. A friend of mine is in the RV business. They go long term loans there.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m talking about needing 5 F350s at a time and wanting to just mitigate the monthly costs. Not necessarily farm equipment.

No idea on boats. I would think the 250k boat guy is probably writing a check, but who knows. A friend of mine is in the RV business. They go long term loans there.
They’ll finance boats 20+ years. Couldn’t sell any if they didn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator