Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zook certainly helped us win three national championships.

First he left in 1995 so we could hire a real.DC finally and get over that hump of having a great O and trash D.

Then he left in 05 so we could hire a coach who didnt go 7-5 every year.

I swear Fooley and his minions have spent their fvlkimg life trying to rehabilitate Zook.
What do you suppose the supporting role statue will look like?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Byrd hasn't mastered the art of making your point, then throwing a little humor and moving on.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What do you suppose the supporting role statue will look like?
my dad used to have a sign in his office said words to the effect of everyone who enters makes my day brighter, some by coming, some by leaving.

Zook is the some by leaving type.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Zook certainly helped us win three national championships.

First he left in 1995 so we could hire a real.DC finally and get over that hump of having a great O and trash D.

Then he left in 05 so we could hire a coach who didnt go 7-5 every year.

I swear Fooley and his minions have spent their fvlkimg life trying to rehabilitate Zook.

Donkey you are all emotion.

Zook was a great recruiter not a field coach. What talent did Zook recruit for 1996 championship? Zook recruited top tier talent for the 2006 championship.

Ironic that both of Zook's replacements at UF (while Foley was AD) became top tier head coaches.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
my dad used to have a sign in his office said words to the effect of everyone who enters makes my day brighter, some by coming, some by leaving.

Zook is the some by leaving type.
I've always liked the man. I remember feeling great compassion for his dying father. I thought he was unfairly made the scapegoat over the frat flap.

You want to fire the man, come straight out and do it.

Zook does everything fast. He made a horrible decision at OC off the bat. There's some sort of disconnect between his brain and his ability to synthethize thoughts.

I can only listen to about two rambling, discombobulated sentences before I have to tune him out. He makes no sense.

I'm sure the players felt the same.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Zook was a great recruiter not a field coach. What talent did Zook recruit for 1996 championship? Zook recruited top tier talent for the 2006 championship.

Ironic that both of Zook's replacements at UF (while Foley was AD) became top tier head coaches.
You really are reaching now.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Link my ass. You're not very good with nuance. You think UF was going to admit to how incompetent its own AD was at making good football hiring decisions?

The fact that I CEO the decision doesn't mean I'm the one sending out the faxes to the news media announcing where we are.

Of course, it is a bit of a leap to assume Machen and Meyer had even been introduced prior to this time.
All emotion and assumptions. Do you have any source to go with that assumption?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Zook was such a great recruiter that from 2005-2011 while head coach of illinios, his best recruiting class was 9th best in the 17 years (02-18) that rivals has a team ranking. He also owns the 3 worst classes in that time. All 7 of his classes are bottom half of the best classes list, his best classes (09,11) tying for 59th. The best classes that have been recorded two 38s, 45, 48, 54.. all happened after his tenure, but the two classes before he arrived in 05, were both in the 50s as well (his first two classes 72, 84). But that's right Zook is a master recruiter.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All emotion and assumptions. Do you have any source to go with that assumption?
You don't either. Describing carrying out a task falls short of identifying the thinker behind it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zook does everything fast. He made a horrible decision at OC off the bat. There's some sort of disconnect between his brain and his ability to synthethize thoughts.
His offense was better than his fvkked up defenses. He was terrible at everything, but recruiting, and very overrated at that. Sos best class came in 99 or so (Berlin and Company) and Creyer beat his best classes almost every year.

Zaunbrecher.... I dont get that dude. He was actually pretty good at Marshall. Not sure where the low risk bubble screen thing came from.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
You really are reaching now.
Zook was not our DC in 1995 as Donkey made it sound. I am acting like you and Donkey now and speaking without a source but didn't Zook land top recruits for Spurrier?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"He was my transition masterpiece."

-- Jeremy Foley on the hiring of Ron "The SunTrust Janitor" Zook to fill the cupboard with read option talent for Meyer

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
His offense was better than his fvkked up defenses. He was terrible at everything, but recruiting, and very overrated at that. Sos best class came in 99 or so (Berlin and Company) and Creyer beat his best classes almost every year.

Zaunbrecher.... I dont get that dude. He was actually pretty good at Marshall. Not sure where the low risk bubble screen thing came from.
SOS' '94 class was pretty good, too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zook was not our DC in 1995 as Donkey made it sound. I am acting like you and Donkey now and speaking without a source but didn't Zook land top recruits for Spurrier.
No, he was our acting DC from the time Pruett got hired by Marshall and installled the game plan. Pruett spent November in WV and came back just a couple of days before the game. I dont know why we allowed him to do that.

Then we PROMOTED... no kidding... Zook back to DC after the game, as a bone I guess bc it was known he was leaving, before he left for a position coach job w NO.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
No, he was our acting DC from the time Pruett got hired by Marshall and installled the game plan. Pruett came back just a couple of days before the game.

Then we PROMOTED... no kidding... Zook back to DC after the game, as a bone before he left for a position coach job w NO.
According to wiki he was not the DC in 1995.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SOS' '94 class was pretty good, too.
It was but I suspected the Zook apologists would credit that to Zook. It was a good class, mostly offensive talent though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.