Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have never even heard of 2222. I have never used film break downs and have zero ties to Foley. I give credit and blame where it is due. I try to be accurate unlike a few here who will go down fighting when all they have to do is admit they were wrong on the facts.

The Meyer hire garnered two national championships and that deserves credit as well as the two bad hires of Muschamp and Mac deserve blame.
You were born yesterday if you think Foley was the driving force behind Meyer. Meyer was Machen's boy. Foley simply took orders like a good little task boy.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
You were born yesterday if you think Foley was the driving force behind Meyer. Meyer was Machen's boy. Foley simply took orders like a good little task boy.
Objectively BOTH get credit and it is not unusual to have the President be involved in a new football coach hire in the SEC. Fuchs just got involved with our recent head coach process.

Dooley who has more Gator contacts than you do is adamant that Foley was very involved in Meyer's recruitment. Donovan's wife who loved Foley was also influential as was the talent that Zook delivered up for Meyer. UF defeated money giant Notre Dame.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/595112173/How-Florida-ended-up-landing-Urban-Meyer.html

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley who has more Gator contacts than you do.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dude, Dooley is lucky to find his shoes in morning. If he ever had contacts, that ship sailed at least 20 years ago.

Money giant ND? The only school more notorious for being cheapskates than us.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dude, Dooley is lucky to find his shoes in morning. If he ever had contacts, that ship sailed at least 20 years ago.

Money giant ND? The only school more notorious for being cheapskates than us.

Obviously you did not see how ND paid for CharlieCheeseburger then how much it cost them to replace him.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/595112173/How-Florida-ended-up-landing-Urban-Meyer.html

I don't think you noticed that Gainesville Sun is the hometown paper.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have never even heard of 2222. I have never used film break downs and have zero ties to Foley. I give credit and blame where it is due. I try to be accurate unlike a few here who will go down fighting when all they have to do is admit they were wrong on the facts.

you give credit and blame but then you make the following statement, which just shows how you give "credit and blame".

The Meyer hire garnered two national championships and that deserves credit as well as the two bad hires of Muschamp and Mac deserve blame.

He deserves credit for three bad hires, so he was 1/4 in hiring football coaches. You are correct in he does get credit for the Meyer hire, regardless of how it went down he was AD.

As far as Dooley having so many inside sources, Dooley takes his marching order just like any other employee... he only gets "real" when he is allowed to. He was on the McElwain train until we all knew it was over, and same with Zook and Muschamp. You know when the administration is done with a candidate when Dooley has gotten the approval to talk bad about them.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
you give credit and blame but then you make the following statement, which just shows how you give "credit and blame".

He deserves credit for three bad hires, so he was 1/4 in hiring football coaches. You are correct in he does get credit for the Meyer hire,
If you look at Zook as a long term hire to replace the school legend coach you are correct.

I think Zook was a perfect transition coach hire as you look for the big fish while your little ever ready bunny Zook loads up the talent. If you look at Zook as a long term hire then you are correct. I looked at Zook as a perfect transition coach. He was not the brightest coach but he and Meyer are the hardest recruiting coaches UF has ever had.Another reason why Meyer burned out.

Going through a good recruiting transition head coach eventually boar the fruit of 2 national championships.

There is an old expression among coaches of you don't want to be the head coach that follows the school legend coach, you want to be the coach that follows the transition coach ( who lowers the expectations ). Zook lowered expectations but increased the talent.

Spurrier was to UF as Bryant was to Bama. Look at all the coaches Bama went through after Bryant.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

He deserves credit for three bad hires, so he was 1/4 in hiring football coaches. You are correct in he does get credit for the Meyer hire, regardless of how it went down he was AD.

As far as Dooley having so many inside sources, Dooley takes his marching order just like any other employee... he only gets "real" when he is allowed to. He was on the McElwain train until we all knew it was over, and same with Zook and Muschamp. You know when the administration is done with a candidate when Dooley has gotten the approval to talk bad about them.
Jeremy, honey, would you please take the trash out? Would you also give Urban a call in Utah?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Jeremy, honey, would you please take the trash out? Would you also give Urban a call in Utah?
What I heard was that Foley told Urban he needed to make other job plans due to all the trouble his signees were getting into at the end so I don't know how tight those 2 are now. I do think Spurrier and Foley get along hence Spurrier coming back to UF recently. Foley really screwed up with his 2 Saban assistant coach hires.

This article certainly is at odds with your claim that Foley was not very involved with Meyer's recruitment.

"Earlier that Tuesday, Foley met with Machen, who had been kept informed about the search but had yet to speak to Meyer about the job. Foley told Machen that Meyer was the coach he wanted to hire. Machen agreed and told him to pursue the Utah coach."

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you look at Zook as a long term hire to replace the school legend coach you are correct.

I think Zook was a perfect transition coach hire as you look for the big fish while your little ever ready bunny Zook loads up the talent. If you look at Zook as a long term hire then you are correct. I looked at Zook as a perfect transition coach. He was not the brightest coach but he and Meyer are the hardest recruiting coaches UF has ever had.Another reason why Meyer burned out.

In hidsight you view it.... and how much of Zook's recruiting success was due to the standard and reputation made by the man he replaced.

Going through a good recruiting transition head coach eventually boar the fruit of 2 national championships.

2 national championships? Zooks last recruiting class was 2004, which means '05, '06,07, and 08 were Meyers recruiting classes on that 2008 team, so at best there might have been a few players on that 04 class on the 08 team. You logic here is illogical. Because how would 20% at most of a roster be the talent base of the second championship?

There is an old expression among coaches of you don't want to be the head coach that follows the school legend coach, you want to be the coach that follows the transition coach ( who lowers the expectations ). Zook lowered expectations but increased the talent.

again with the transition coach logic... because when you have a top 5 university you are in the market for transition coaches. So your argument is that Foley went out looking for a transition coach, after you have argued that he went to Denver and Oklahoma... those two arguments are counter to one another.

Spurrier was to UF as Bryant was to Bama. Look at all the coaches Bama went through after Bryant.

Being he left in 1982, technically 9 including Saban. Between him and Stalling the next national title winning coach, 2, though Curry did win the SEC once in that time.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Do they put these "contacts" in the bottom of a scotch glass? Where else would he get them? Maybe in the nachos?
That could be true but being the head sports writer in Gainesville your main job is UF football plus the article above from another a third party source shows how involved Foley was.

I get it that when you don't have a source yourself you attack the other person's source. So what is your attack on the article above. It would be better if 78 had a linkable source of his own.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
That could be true but being the head sports writer in Gainesville your main job is UF football plus the article above from another a third party source shows how involved Foley was.

I get it that when you don't have a source yourself you attack the other persons source. So what is your attack on the article above. It would be better if you had a source of your own.

My source is Fat Tooley. He obviously has pics of the papers owner with a farm animal to be the "head sports writer" in Gainesville.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
2 national championships? Zooks last recruiting class was 2004, which means '05, '06,07, and 08 were Meyers recruiting classes on that 2008 team, so at best there might have been a few players on that 04 class on the 08 team. You logic here is illogical. Because how would 20% at most of a roster be the talent base of the second championship?
In hidsight you view it.... and how much of Zook's recruiting success was due to the standard and reputation made by the man he replaced.

2 national championships? Zooks last recruiting class was 2004, which means '05, '06,07, and 08 were Meyers recruiting classes on that 2008 team, so at best there might have been a few players on that 04 class on the 08 team. You logic here is illogical.

If I said Zook's recruiting classes played in the 2008 championship you would be correct but I did not.

I said Zook's talent lured in Meyer. Zook's talent was key for 2006 national championship and that talent lured in Meyer who was also a good recruiter just smarter than transition coach Zook is. Both are great recruiters.

I agree that Zook was helped by Spurrier's success and Zook took that and worked his butt off and had a 2003 class loaded with 5 star recruits that Meyer noticed.

Notice any names from Zook's 2003/2004 recruiting classes that were key contributors to our 2006 national championship? Meyer did.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2003-Football/Commits

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2004-Football/Commits

2006 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PERSONNEL

Offense
WR
WR
Jemalle Cornelius Andre Caldwell
Percy Harvin Ryan Williams
LT LG C RG RT
Phil Trautwein Jim Tartt Steve Rissler Drew Miller Carlton Medder
Ronnie Wilson Maurice Hurt Eddie Haupt Simon Codrington Jason Watkins
TE
Tate Casey
Cornelius Ingram
WR
Dallas Baker
Kenneth Tookes
QB
Chris Leak
Tim Tebow

Defense
CB

Reggie Lewis
Markihe Anderson
DE DT DT DE
Derrick Harvey Ray McDonald Steven Harris Jarvis Moss
Ray McDonald Joe Cohen Javier Estopiñan Joe Cohen
CB
Ryan Smith
Tremaine McCollum
FS
Reggie Nelson
Kyle Jackson
Will LB Middle LB Sam LB
Earl Everett Brandon Siler Brian Crum
Ryan Stamper Brandon Spikes

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I get it that when you don't have a source yourself you attack the other person's source. So what is your attack on the article above. It would be better if 78 had a linkable source of his own.
Link my ass. You're not very good with nuance. You think UF was going to admit to how incompetent its own AD was at making good football hiring decisions?

The fact that I CEO the decision doesn't mean I'm the one sending out the faxes to the news media announcing where we are.

Of course, it is a bit of a leap to assume Machen and Meyer had even been introduced prior to this time.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Notice any names from Zook's 2003 recruiting class that were key contributors to our 2006 national championship?

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2003-Football/Commits

Offense
WR
WR
Jemalle Cornelius Andre Caldwell
Percy Harvin Ryan Williams
LT LG C RG RT
Phil Trautwein Jim Tartt Steve Rissler Drew Miller Carlton Medder
Ronnie Wilson Maurice Hurt Eddie Haupt Simon Codrington Jason Watkins
TE
Tate Casey
Cornelius Ingram
WR
Dallas Baker
Kenneth Tookes
QB
Chris Leak
Tim Tebow

Defense
CB

Reggie Lewis
Markihe Anderson
DE DT DT DE
Derrick Harvey Ray McDonald Steven Harris Jarvis Moss
Ray McDonald Joe Cohen Javier Estopiñan Joe Cohen
CB
Ryan Smith
Tremaine McCollum
FS
Reggie Nelson
Kyle Jackson
Will LB Middle LB Sam LB
Earl Everett Brandon Siler Brian Crum
Ryan Stamper Brandon Spikes

Didn't even read your own argument or the rebuttal before typing this did you?

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
If Dooley has contacts, why don't he put them in so he can see to do his job???

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Best UF ADs:

1) Graves
2) Arnsparger
3) Carr
4) Machen
5) Foley

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zook certainly helped us win three national championships.

First he left in 1995 so we could hire a real.DC finally and get over that hump of having a great O and trash D.

Then he left in 05 so we could hire a coach who didnt go 7-5 every year.

I swear Fooley and his minions have spent their fvlkimg life trying to rehabilitate Zook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.