Mullen Introductory Press Conference Thread: 3 PM EST

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
There was a melt down on campus when we lost to ole miss that year. A lot of people thought “The Speach” was a joke to the university. Winning championships fixes everything

I did not know this. Wow. For me, it was awesome.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
The first part I suspect is true. The second part I suspect is wishful thinking on your part. Brindise did not make up his tweet. The treatment of Steve Spurrier by UF is an embarrassment to all of us.
I don't think SOS has been treated badly, his success in the past doesn't mean he should be given the job forever, dude has said countless times he is done as a head coach.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't think SOS has been treated badly, his success in the past doesn't mean he should be given the job forever, dude has said countless times he is done as a head coach.

I agree he should not be given the job forever. However, UF did not get its first or second choice its seems and SOS was interested. He was not shown respect by Foley/Machen in 2005 and by idiot boosters talking to the press about him at that time. It is just a real embarrassment for UF in my view.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I agree he should not be given the job forever. However, UF did not get its first or second choice its seems and SOS was interested. He was not shown respect by Foley/Machen in 2005 and by idiot boosters talking to the press about him at that time. It is just a real embarrassment for UF in my view.

Make no mistake, I love SOS. Fortunately he coached my whole time at UF, undergrad and graduate. Bought his last book. Really enjoyed reading about his faith. For all his accomplishments, there is one blemish on his record. He walked out on his USC team in the middle of the season. If that is any indication of his drive, passion, and commitment, he's not going to put the effort in needed to be caretaker of the program.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@lagator— Not letting me quote you for some reason.

But no I’m not saying Mullen is better than Richt. I think their situations have been apples and oranges to this point so comparison wouldn’t really work. That said, I will speculate that if Richt had been in Starkville for the last 9 years his record would certainly be different that it is today. How different? Not sure, guess we’ll find out.

Also, while not stellar, Miami’s last four recruiting classes have been ranked 11, 23, 26 and 12. He’s had 2 solid wins over 3 loss teams, snuck by dumpster fires UNC and fsu, had comeback victories over Syracuse, UVA and Toledo, and lost to 4-7 Pitt. When we won the East in 2015, it was strictly because of how weak our division was. Suddenly that’s an impressive feat?

In his time at uga, I couldn’t count how many times his teams were soft, randomly ill prepared, had horrific clock management and crumbled in the big game. In many respects, you could liken his having to face ‘01-‘10 UF to Mullen having to deal with Saban every year. He went 2-8 in that span, including 3 games with Zook. Again, not trying to do a complete comparison, nor am I debating whether or not DM will be great here. But having a fan of a Richt coached team trying to mock anyone is laughable.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You want to go through his wins year by year? I dare you. You'll laugh. He has like 4 quality wins in 9 years. His record is built on beating no one.

Expand please...why do you feel this way?

a) No I don’t need a breakdown of wins. I’ve seen it. But he’s also had the best winning % there since Darrell Royal in the ‘50s who went on to have a pretty solid career at a Texas. And Mullen did it during arguably the toughest stretch of any division perhaps ever.

b) Because, as I’ve stated numerous times, he wasn’t my first choice and isn’t what I consider a homerun. Someone like Kelly or Frost would’ve surprised me if they didn’t succeed here. Beyond that, there was no one that I felt was a can’t miss type.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

After today's press conference to introduce Mullen Scott Stricklin stayed around to answer some questions. Go to around the 7:55 mark where Stricklin is asked if there were some coaches he talked to who weren't really interested in the Florida job. Stricklin emphasized that to be the coach at UF you have to "really want to be at the University of Florida". Then he goes on to talk about some of the challenges of being head coach at UF. I can't help but think he was talking about Chip Kelly and was making a veiled reference to the fact that Kelly's heart was just not in going through the grind of being a coach at high profile SEC venue.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen and Stricklin BOTH OWNED and DESTROYED that press conference. Lets hope he can whip this program back into shape. Go Gators!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, meanwhile a guy I work with who is a huge Miami fan sent me a text as soon as he heard it saying "congrats on Mullen" just waiting for me to explode back a reply then he was sending LOL's saying "I thought you would feel that way, we wouldn't even give the guy an interview LOL."
Yeah.... this is a huge crow moment for us. We hired they guy that no one--including us the past two hires-- would consider hiring.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Curious if anyone actually bothered to listen to the presser. I liked a lot of what I heard, and while talk is not action, my enthusiasm level went up- a lot. I caught it after Mullen had been introduced, so never heard Stricklin at all.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
@lagator— Not letting me quote you for some reason.

But no I’m not saying Mullen is better than Richt. I think their situations have been apples and oranges to this point so comparison wouldn’t really work. That said, I will speculate that if Richt had been in Starkville for the last 9 years his record would certainly be different that it is today. How different? Not sure, guess we’ll find out.

Also, while not stellar, Miami’s last four recruiting classes have been ranked 11, 23, 26 and 12. He’s had 2 solid wins over 3 loss teams, snuck by dumpster fires UNC and fsu, had comeback victories over Syracuse, UVA and Toledo, and lost to 4-7 Pitt. When we won the East in 2015, it was strictly because of how weak our division was. Suddenly that’s an impressive feat?

In his time at uga, I couldn’t count how many times his teams were soft, randomly ill prepared, had horrific clock management and crumbled in the big game. In many respects, you could liken his having to face ‘01-‘10 UF to Mullen having to deal with Saban every year. He went 2-8 in that span, including 3 games with Zook. Again, not trying to do a complete comparison, nor am I debating whether or not DM will be great here. But having a fan of a Richt coached team trying to mock anyone is laughable.
Yeah, I'm not trying to suggest Richt is some great coach, not by a long shot. But he was the right hire and energized their team and fanbase which in turn has lead to immediate results. The fact that they have an outside shot at the playoffs and a worst case of a New Years six bowl game is pretty remarkable. I do expect them to finish on a 3 game losing streak because Clemson and whoever they face in their bowl game are going to be significantly more talented than them.

But the point is it shows you how important it is to make the right hire, and when you do how quickly you can see results. I don't think any of us can honestly say this feels like the right hire or one that excites our fans or threatens our foes. You generally know when you've made a great hire, like when we got SOS or Meyer. Everyone was on board and you could feel the momentum immediately. And the results came almost immediately. That's why when people start singing the "he needs more time to bring in his guys" even though he's already in his 3rd year, you know it's over.

Ask yourself, does this hire feel more like SOS and Urban or more like Zook and Chump? I think if people are being honest with themselves they know this feels like a bad hire that will never amount to anything but more wasted years, but they're trying to turn it positive because the only other choice is to be a dumper (like me) or just give up on something you obviously are invested in.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
No it's not. Knowledgeable fans know Mullen sucks. Talking heads are slobbering over him, meanwhile a guy I work with who is a huge Miami fan sent me a text as soon as he heard it saying "congrats on Mullen" just waiting for me to explode back a reply then he was sending LOL's saying "I thought you would feel that way, we wouldn't even give the guy an interview LOL." I was like, "yeah, F-off, Clemson's going to destroy you and I can almost guarantee you finish with a 3 game losing streak, it's what Richt does."

Point is plenty of fans of our rivals know this is a crap hire, but it's clear you guys have talked yourself into believing in the Mighty Mullet.

Thanks for the run down on your Facebook chat with your Miami fag buddy. Point is neither you or your peter puffin pal know what is going to happen. Muffan killed his PC and knows what time it is, so blow homeless dudes in a Miami dumpster with Dirty Mike or hop on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.