Mullen-SOS-Urban

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have no desire to get between you and Swonk and on that issue, by all means, please carry on. I did have a thought to add in regards to CDM..
you're a good dude and normally I would read that rather than just posting tldr.

that being said I'm going to demand at least paragraphs.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think this is my 8th post in this thread. Pretty sure in each case, .
again tldr. I'm just going to give you stoned because I'm fairly sure you earned it, plus I believe you're starting to like it regardless.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
SOS was stubborn as hell. We lost to granny clampett in the Sugar Bowl because he refused to adjust. Refused to use the shotgun until Danny was almost killed. He was capable of eventually adapting and we’ve seen some of that this year from Mullen with the offense. Is he willing to see his DC and lack of elite recruiters is going to be his downfall? Time will tell.
We lost to granny clampet because 1. FSU was our real bowl game (whipped their ass) and they partied hard before the game. 2, we were down to one LB basically in the 2nd half and they had a gdmmm bulldozer with speed at RB. I was there........btw as for all the keyboard masturbation over FSU/the sec/SOS/what if..........fsu was playing only us and UM most years. We played an SEC FCKN schedule with about 5 rivals each year that despised us. LSU/Aub/fsu/uga and then UT. SOS was focused on winning the east and fsu was always that bastard game at the end. IF THEY Played in the sec they dont waltz through their schedule like they do I DGAF how easy you thought the sec was. Beginning with the playoffs and what came before that the Draft and the national titles prove how fcknnn hard it was. For awhile it seemed we played those rivals, then always bama in the title game to have a shot at the BIGGUN...........insane schedule..........and SOS was not cheatin like some program were...............SOS when he retired was #2 behind the bear and the bear had serioous help with playrs SOS didnt have.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
We lost to granny clampet because 1. FSU was our real bowl game (whipped their ass) and they partied hard before the game. 2, we were down to one LB basically in the 2nd half and they had a gdmmm bulldozer with speed at RB. I was there........btw as for all the keyboard masturbation over FSU/the sec/SOS/what if..........fsu was playing only us and UM most years. We played an SEC FCKN schedule with about 5 rivals each year that despised us. LSU/Aub/fsu/uga and then UT. SOS was focused on winning the east and fsu was always that bastard game at the end. IF THEY Played in the sec they dont waltz through their schedule like they do I DGAF how easy you thought the sec was. Beginning with the playoffs and what came before that the Draft and the national titles prove how fcknnn hard it was. For awhile it seemed we played those rivals, then always bama in the title game to have a shot at the BIGGUN...........insane schedule..........and SOS was not cheatin like some program were...............SOS when he retired was #2 behind the bear and the bear had serioous help with playrs SOS didnt have.
I love it when you get your dander up!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Yikes. No one said it was easy in the SEC. But comparing it to what it has become since around 2005 is ridiculous. In the 25 years from 1980-2005, there were a total of 4 NC winners from the SEC. In the 14 years since, there have been 10. And 8 of those NCs came from teams who had at least one losing season in the 90s. How hard is that to understand? These aren’t standardized tests, these are their grades. They’re those teams’ W/L records over a decade. It’s not knocking Spurrier in any way. My whole point is that the comparisons—if judged strictly by winning the SEC—are not quite equitable, any more than it would’ve been ok to bag on Spurrier for his record against the noles.

The fact is the best team we faced every year(with 1 or 2 exception years) wasn’t in conference. We can speculate on how it would’ve been for them if they had been, and I’m not even disagreeing that it would’ve impacted their run, or may have helped us. But they weren’t and they were 8-5-1 against us. If Mullen goes 5-8-1 against Alabama or uga he’s be crucified because it keeps us from winning the SEC. That’s the difference going back to my first post.

I think I liked it better when you could only drink in between classes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yikes. No one said it was easy in the SEC. But comparing it to what it has become since around 2005 is ridiculous. In the 25 years from 1980-2005, there were a total of 4 NC winners from the SEC. In the 14 years since, there have been 10. And 8 of those NCs came from teams who had at least one losing season in the 90s. How hard is that to understand?.
The rules changed completely. Very few of those SEC champion teams had zero losses,

In the '90s if you didn't manage to go unbeaten you usually did not get a shot at the title.
but the SEC suddenly started getting respect beginning in 2006. Even back in 2006 if Gary Danielson hadn't campaigned so hard for us, I wonder if we had even gotten in the game. no one gave us a chance. Admittedly Dan Mullins offense look like a monkey with a Rubik's cube.

It helped that the pac-12 and big 12 moved into the BCS. No longer did those teams get to feast on their cupcake conference then win the Rose bowl and declare themselves champions. Miami in the Big Least and FSU did the same.

Even during the mid-90s , the SEC still wasn't getting respect even though we destroyed the Big 10 regularly on Jan 1 to the point that they just stopped talking about those conferences win loss records, and blaming the big 12 losses on "a long layoff" or "all the games are down south and we can't play in heat".

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I will add, the SEC has never been this bad in my memory early 80s. It is embarrassing really. All the teams innthe SEC East except Ugly have been dumpster fires. Barn ranges from Ok to holey fuchs. Everyone else in the west has been garbage almost the entire decade.

12 of the 14 teams are totally dysfunctional on offense this last decade. About half cant even field a mediocre defense either.

The football is atrocious to watch.

But Bammer still wins NCs. More of stats lying.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The rules changed completely. Very few of those SEC champion teams had zero losses,

In the '90s if you didn't manage to go unbeaten you usually did not get a shot at the title.
but the SEC suddenly started getting respect beginning in 2006. Even back in 2006 if Gary Danielson hadn't campaigned so hard for us, I wonder if we had even gotten in the game. no one gave us a chance. Admittedly Dan Mullins offense look like a monkey with a Rubik's cube.

It helped that the pac-12 and big 12 moved into the BCS. No longer did those teams get to feast on their cupcake conference then win the Rose bowl and declare themselves champions. Miami in the Big Least and FSU did the same.

Even during the mid-90s , the SEC still wasn't getting respect even though we destroyed the Big 10 regularly on Jan 1 to the point that they just stopped talking about those conferences win loss records, and blaming the big 12 losses on "a long layoff" or "all the games are down south and we can't play in heat".

A lot that I agree with here. Ftr, of those 25 NC teams from '81-'05, by my count 8 had a loss(one had a tied as well), so roughly a third. Being undefeated played a role, but it wasn't the entire issue. That said, I do get that the perception of the conference changed in 2006, and Danielson was an integral part of that. But, so was our destroying OhSt. The narrative changed immediately because of that win(see Lsu the following year). The problem is, in many of those previous years, the SEC winner simply didn't stack up all that well with OOC peers. So when a team goes undefeated in it's conference(like '91, '95, 96) and then loses, or in some cases gets hammered, by an OOC foe, the general consensus is the SEC is a step behind. I've always said that the rest of the SEC owes us big time for that win in Glendale. Its started this era.

As for the current state of the conference, again no real disagreement here. I do think uga replaces ut(though it's not reciprocal by the vols). Lsu is night and day better, and I think even teams like Uk and Usce probably are a slightly tougher out due to better talent than they had then. Aub is still very bipolar, but admittedly even their best teams recently couldn't stay within 20 points of '93/'94. I do definitely think there are some awful teams right now, and the conference, as it has been for over a decade, is very top heavy. Haves and have nots. But again, that's subjective and not what I'm talking about.

I'm going to make this so simple that even a half-sauced gym teacher who wears polyester shorts and a whistle at all times(yes, even formal events) can understand. Alabama is currently a better version of 90's fsu. We now have to go through that to win the conference, unlike the 90s. So what the rest of the conference is doing is irrelevant. They can all be a joke, and we still may not get over that hump often as much as we'd like, which is very similar to Spurrier/UF's relationship with fsu during the 90's. We could play VU 8 times a year and then face Alabama, and we'd lose a good portion of those contest, preventing us from holding a trophy. If Mullen goes 12 years with no SEC crowns, that's a different story and unacceptable. But my point was if he went something like 5-8 against the best team(s) we face every year, and we had less SEC titles to show for it as as a result, the current landscape should be taken into consideration.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
One thing this half sauced poly lester wearing "gym" coach remembers/knows about gator football is that fsu played mostly a pussy schedule after Bobby got the mustard and ketchup playing well. We played in the SEC but of course it was lousy back then by expert opinion in here. Here is one factoid our experts don't realize. UF had up to 4 or 5 , what we call in the undedumucated southern part of Murica, RIVALS. Hated rivals. Certainly despised us. Rival games are a little different most times. Fla used to play Aub. FSU UGA Tenn and LSU each year. Then they began alternating Aub out but then bama shows up sometimes. Five rivals a year is crazy condidering all those teams have the capacity and history of real football. Our darling semenHoles had two. TWO. Us and UM. Thats it. If you dont think that is a factor and that stats and W&Ls only matter then I guess I will take my whistle and Rebel Yell and go tip some cows..........

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Number in parentheses indicates AP rank at time of bowl game Share & more

1996-01-02 Fiesta Bowl Nebraska (1) 62 Florida (2) 24 Tempe, AZ
1996-01-01 Citrus Bowl Tennessee (4) 20 Ohio State (4) 14 Orlando, FL
1996-01-01 Outback Bowl Penn State (15) 43 Auburn (16) 14 Tampa, FL
1995-12-30 Carquest Bowl North Carolina 20 Arkansas (24) 10 Miami, FL
1995-12-30 Peach Bowl Virginia (18) 34 Georgia 27 Atlanta, GA
1995-12-29 Independence Bowl Louisiana State 45 Michigan State 26 Shreveport, LA
1995 Bowl Games | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Date Bowl Pts Pts Notes
1997-01-02 Sugar Bowl Florida (3) 52 Florida State (1) 20 New Orleans, LA
1997-01-01 Citrus Bowl Tennessee (9) 48 Northwestern (11) 28 Orlando, FL
1997-01-01 Outback Bowl Alabama (16) 17 Michigan (15) 14 Tampa, FL
1996-12-31 Independence Bowl Auburn 32 Army (24) 29 Shreveport, LA
1996-12-28 Peach Bowl Louisiana State (17) 10 Clemson 7 Atlanta, GA

1996 Bowl Games | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

1998-01-02 Orange Bowl Nebraska (2) 42 Tennessee (3) 17 Miami, FL
1998-01-02 Peach Bowl Auburn (13) 21 Clemson 17 Atlanta, GA
1998-01-01 Citrus Bowl Florida (6) 21 Penn State (11) 6 Orlando, FL
1998-01-01 Outback Bowl Georgia (12) 33 Wisconsin 6 Tampa, FL
1997-12-28 Independence Bowl Louisiana State (15) 27 Notre Dame 9 Shreveport, LA
1997-12-26 Motor City Bowl Mississippi 34 Marshall 31 Pontiac, MI

1997 Bowl Games | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

1999-01-04 Fiesta Bowl Tennessee (1) 23 Florida State (2) 16 Tempe, AZ
1999-01-02 Orange Bowl Florida (7) 31 Syracuse (18) 10 Miami, FL
1999-01-01 Citrus Bowl Michigan (15) 45 Arkansas (11) 31 Orlando, FL
1999-01-01 Cotton Bowl Texas (20) 38 Mississippi State (25) 11 Dallas, TX
1999-01-01 Outback Bowl Penn State (22) 26 Kentucky 14 Tampa, FL
1998-12-31 Independence Bowl Mississippi 35 Texas Tech 18 Shreveport, LA
1998-12-31 Peach Bowl Georgia (19) 35 Virginia (13) 33 Atlanta, GA
1998-12-29 Music City Bowl Virginia Tech 38 Alabama 7 Nashville, TN
1998 Bowl Games | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

2000-01-02 Fiesta Bowl Nebraska (3) 31 Tennessee (6) 21 Tempe, AZ
2000-01-01 Citrus Bowl Michigan State (9) 37 Florida (10) 34 Orlando, FL
2000-01-01 Cotton Bowl Arkansas (24) 27 Texas (14) 6 Dallas, TX
2000-01-01 Orange Bowl Michigan (8) 35 Alabama (5) 34 Miami, FL
2000-01-01 Outback Bowl Georgia (21) 28 Purdue (19) 25 Tampa, FL
1999-12-31 Independence Bowl Mississippi 27 Oklahoma 25 Shreveport, LA
1999-12-30 Peach Bowl Mississippi State (15) 17 Clemson 7 Atlanta, GA
1999-12-29 Music City Bowl Syracuse 20 Kentucky 13 Nashville, TN
1999 Bowl Games | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

yeah... SEC sucked then.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Number in parentheses indicates AP rank at time of bowl game Share & more

yeah... SEC sucked then.

Wait, I though stats didn’t matter. And we’ve already acknowledged ut a dozen times. But since you brought it up, I’ll play. According to the Final AP poll...

uga finished the season ranked 5 times in 10 seasons ( beat us in 1 of those years).

Aub finished ranked 6 times in 10 seasons(beat us in 2 of those).

Lsu finished the season ranked 2 times in 10 seasons(beat us in one of those years).

So in 30 collective chances to finish the season ranked, those three juggernauts managed to do so total 13 times. And 4 of those years, we lost. So we were 9-4 against that bunch when they finished in the Top 25. They actually had more losing seasons(15) than seasons ending ranked. You’re right. It’s a wonder we won any games at all.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
One thing this half sauced poly lester wearing "gym" coach remembers/knows about gator football is that fsu played mostly a pussy schedule after Bobby got the mustard and ketchup playing well. We played in the SEC but of course it was lousy back then by expert opinion in here. Here is one factoid our experts don't realize. UF had up to 4 or 5 , what we call in the undedumucated southern part of Murica, RIVALS. Hated rivals. Certainly despised us. Rival games are a little different most times. Fla used to play Aub. FSU UGA Tenn and LSU each year. Then they began alternating Aub out but then bama shows up sometimes. Five rivals a year is crazy condidering all those teams have the capacity and history of real football. Our darling semenHoles had two. TWO. Us and UM. Thats it. If you dont think that is a factor and that stats and W&Ls only matter then I guess I will take my whistle and Rebel Yell and go tip some cows..........

I don’t know what you’re rambling about anymore. The noles are garbage and took the path of least resistance. No one has implied otherwise. But they still typically beat us, mostly because they generally had more talent. So they were better more often than not. Trust me, I hated growing up around them, but it’s reality. I learned to appreciate success more as a result.

On your point about rivals, I agree. We’re loaded. But just because they hate us and want to beat us, it doesn’t mean they’re automatically good enough to do so. Look at Saturday in Knox. Or our various runs over fsu and uga, or theirs over us. Being a rival doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a hard game. But I will say, if all those teams are on at the same time, that’s a tough a schedule as there is. That we can agree on.

And I hope I didn’t offend you with my shorts and whistle comment. You should know I’m not actually taking shots at you, but having fun with the personal notes we’ve learned over the years. Pilots, brokers, teachers, struggling public defenders, all sharing stories and talking football. It’s what makes this place great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator